1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Operator Tactical Attache or MPB?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Buffalohump, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Buffalohump

Buffalohump Loaded Pockets

Dudes, I am in the process of whistling up a laptop but being a bag ***** I am more interested in the bag I'm going to carry it in than the machine itself. I have been there and back as usual looking at all the options, but I want to hear from people who have used these bags day in and day out. Which is better suited to a laptop/all-purpose attache type carry bag?

I want something that has plenty of organisation, a good comfortable strap, not too big... I have narrowed it down to Maxpedition because frankly, their stuff works and it doesnt cost a fortune. I cant spend more on the bag than I wil the laptop, as much as I want to, haha.

TIA!

2. Buffalohump

Nothing? Does nobody here own either of these bags?

3. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

There are several threads on both, some I am sure comparing the 2, which may explain the lack of response. I have the Operator. Great bag. Used it for my work EDC/laptop bag for over a year, but it is on hiatus now as I have been sporting a more traditional messenger by Timbuk2. I have gone through 10-15 or so bags in the last 5 years, many by Maxpedition, and the Operator and Mongo are my favorites by them.

4. stepewolf

stepewolf Loaded Pockets

The bigger laptop you can fit in the MPB is 15in but the organization is great just remove the inner panel. (my VAIO's length is 15.2 inches and it fits with a very slight bulge forward).

5. little green bag

little green bag Loaded Pockets

I have the last resort attache from maxped. It fits my 14 inch laptop just fine. It works great for DJ gigs because the bag is super durable and i can have some fun patches on the bag as well as carry a big water bottle. The only problem I have with the bag is that all the pouches on the front are Velcro, I prefer zippers.

Its my go to laptop bag, and I have several other laptop bags from timbuk2, north face and tucano that sit on the closet.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

6. Skipperbrown

Skipperbrown Loaded Pockets

I have the MPB and my macbook pro 15" will only fit in it vertically making carry a pain. I think a 13" will fit fine.

7. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Loaded Pockets

8. Buffalohump

Thanks for the input. Still trying to decide if I want to go this route or spring for a much more expensive set up like the Emdom TNT or ITS discreet messenger...

9. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

i have a couple of MPBs, don't have an operator. Couple of quick impressions:

Pros to MPB:
    - Lower profile, no pouches on side. A little more low-key, if you know what i mean.
    - Padded on each side
    - LOTS of organization in each of those padded side pouches

Cons:
    - limits on size of computer (unless you're looking at MPB XXL which i think is WAY too big of a bag)

One other thing to look at/consider:
    The larkspur/gleneagle message bags. I added a velcro laptop sleeve and now carry the bag a lot more than the MPB. Doesn't quite have as much organization out of the box (unless you add a lot of extra velcro patches) but carries much more comfortably than the MPB with the same load/weight. I have the smaller one (larkspur?) and can easily put as much into it as my MPB. I think it'd accommodate a larger laptop than the MPB also (i only have 13.3" dell so can't comment).

10. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Even the regular MPB is a thick, large and cumbersome bag. You could probably fit three laptops into the main compartment. Also, I could be wrong, but I seem to recall it has no padding on the bottom.

11. maxray

maxray Loaded Pockets

I was right on the verge of pulling the trigger on the Operator when I found the 5.11 Sidetrip and MPC smaller laptop bag that fits in the Sidetrip. I preferred the more subtle looks of the 5.11 stuff and the internal PALS and hook and loop. Been carrying this combo for a couple of weeks and like it a lot.

Just another option to check out.

12. superglide537

superglide537 Loaded Pockets

I've used the Max Operater as an EDC for the last year. Fits my Dell 15" in the middle compartment using the removable insert to hold it tight. I like the two bottle holders - one for coffee and the other for water.

13. Buffalohump

Cheers, I am considering the Larkspur too...

14. Skipperbrown

Skipperbrown Loaded Pockets

Beware Emdom. I ordered a bag from him and it never showed up. Couldn't contact him by phone or email, and finally had to dispute the credit card charge.

15. Buffalohump

I have heard stories, its a bummer... I would likely look for one on the aftermarket.