1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Open Carry...

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by deusvult, Feb 19, 2014.

1. xdglocker

xdglocker Loaded Pockets

1: Yes CT
    2: Yes
    3: It's a comfort thing for me. I CC also and my choice depends on my attire and location.
    I don't get much attention. But when I do it's positive for the most part. Law enforcement seems to be positive for the most part also.
    I've had some instances where people acted scared and I just carry on like it's no big deal. Usually they will ask questions and I will give take that opportunity to educate them a little.
    On the job I am a Fugitive Recovery Agent. I OC and CC there also depending on the role I'm playing for each specific job.
    The myth about being a target is unfounded but thats fine. I see more people CCing that advertise their firearm, touching the gun, fixing their pants, and all the other ticks you see with mostly new firearm owners.
    But for comfort OC works great for me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

RayFromJersey likes this.
  2. acuffj3

acuffj3 Empty Pockets

Forgot to add. I'm in TN

3. Subie J

Subie J Loaded Pockets

I'll be that guy..

Most people who open carry in populated urban environments are attention whores trying to look the part. They have little to NO situational awareness and lack training often times. I do not feel the need to paint myself as a target for both political and violent confrontation. This train of thought is much the same with firearms instructors.

Then there's the matter of cheap holsters or no holster at all..

I've been to texas, I grew up in the south. (GA & FL) I acknowledge people are more understanding and generally a different breed compared to other parts of the country but the argument "well I'm from the south" does not merit an M9 in a drop leg holster.

I have no problem with others doing it and I wish to keep OC as an option. For legal reasons or if your job requires then by all means OC.

acuffj3 likes this.
  4. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

It will.
    Because of this, and because laws vary from state to state, therefore it is political by its very nature.
    I agree with you, I think it's a good thing that inadvertent display is not considered criminal.
    Did you want opinions or practical benefits?

The key practical benefits are:
    - You don't have to sacrifice functionality (size, capacity, quality of sights) for concealability. If you shoot a full-sized pistol better than a pocket pistol, then you can carry the larger gun openly more easily than concealed.
    - You can get to your gun more easily if you need it quickly. No need to worry about tugging up your shirt, or sweeping back a jacket, or reaching in your pocket. Strong-side belt holster on a sturdy belt is also more comfortable for most people than IWB type solutions.

Those are practical benefits. There are potential drawbacks which do fall into the realm of opinion. Once you start the opinion wars, the thread is going to go the way you don't want.

Also, as Jon mentioned, people's views and choices are strongly influenced by where they live. Not just the state laws, but urban vs. rural, their social circles, their daily routines, general social behavioral norms and how they as individuals choose to behave or be perceived.

5. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

1. Arizona does allow open carry.
    2. I do not open carry EVER.
    3. I believe open carry should only be an option for those who can not legally carry concealed. Refer to James Yeager's 3 videos titled "Open Carry Sucks". I do not consider open carry to be tactically sound as a carry option and pretty much everything stated in his videos on the subject I agree with.

hunter s gatherer and kikaida like this.
  6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

We used to have a larger rural base then we do now. Being this ridged excludes a lot of people.

Most of the guys I know that pack a handgun or more worried about the tactical soundness of keeping the coyotes away from the chickens while they are repairing a tractor.

7. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

Open carry is no longer allowed in California, though with the recent striking down of the "may issue" nature of CC permit laws, that may change. If open carry was allowed, I would opt to not carry openly unless I was out in the wilderness, camping or something. Honestly, working at a state university, I wouldn't be able to carry about 8-10 hours out of the day, so that would decrease my desire to carry openly at all. And I just don't want the attention.

8. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

1. Yes, Idaho is a very gun friendly state.
    2. No, I've never felt the desire, not even as a political statement.
    3. I prefer to keep a low profile. I've been mistaken for a cop multiple times for reasons I can't fathom so I guess my grey man needs some work.

Even as gun friendly as this state is, outside of gun shops and the occasional political rally I've rarely seen anyone open carrying. I know it happens and personally know people who do it but I can count on one hand the times I've actually seen it.

hunter s gatherer and groovster like this.
  9. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

Here in Virginia OC is permitted. The only times I ever did so was prior to Virginia changing its laws to allow concealed carry in restaurants that serve Alcohol. Before the new law was passed I would sometimes leave my gun in the car (in a place where I thought I would get unwelcome attention) or sometimes do what we used to call the "Virginia Tuck" where you tucked your cover garment up over the gun while you eat and sit so the gun could not be readily observed.

I much prefer not to open carry because I think it makes me a target, gives away tactical advantage and I just plain prefer to be a "grey" man

10. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Think about this.

There are attempts to split the duck hunters, rabbit hunters, nuisance control shooters (prairie dog), competitive paper punchers, farm and ranch people, and the self defense crowd politically.

It is one thing to not want to open carry but if the political voices go to the disadvantage of the rural people you lose a natural political ally.

11. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

1. Yes.
    2. Sometimes. At a gun range, yes, on my own property, yes, hunting, yes. Otherwise, No.

3;

Open carry has no draw for me, other than maybe a faster draw if I ever need the gun ;)
    Also,
    This;

And this; generally.

Don't want to be the first one shot when trouble occurs, and don't want to be the guy that everyone else assumes is a cop and asks for help.(I'll be helping where I can anyway, but I don't want the hassle/to be hassled)

to be 100% honest, I'm self conscious enough wearing a gun at all, even concealed. (and thus don't do so often anymore)

Even legal, and even common(and no, its not common here... not anymore, although I have been told it was once), people get... skittish... with an openly carried firearm.

Even I tend to give a wide berth, and extra caution to anyone I see that is carrying openly, and I am all for their ability to do so, and have no problem with them doing it... But you never know who they are and what they are doing.

Oh, and another thought for you guys... just because open carry is legal, doesn't mean your OK for those times when you end up half concealed/printing etc... Here(Alaska, where open or concealed carry is legal with or without the optional permit) you have to be either fully open/visible, OR fully concealed. So the gun printing is still technically a violation of carry rules and illegal. Be sure of your laws, as to Exactly what your state deems to be legal open carry.

Last edited by AK Adventurer, Feb 19, 2014
  12. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Great point! All gun owners, regardless of their particular area of interest, need to be supportive of the others. As stated above I don't OC but I think it's important to have it. If for no other reason than to protect a CCer from a brandishing charge due to an unintentional display.

Oops! Sorry. Was about to go on a political rant. ;) I'll cut it short and take it elsewhere.

scbubba likes this.
  13. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I will show a little of my friend Bob's situation. If he could he might only see a town once every three months. That would actually make him very happy.

He also wants to be able to carry his handgun across country roads and does not want to bother with taking it off when he goes to the co op.

He is not worried about humans, he worries about tactical deployment against coyote trying to get his chickens when he is working on a tractor.

He is forced to cross country roads at times though he might not see a paved road for a very long time.

Bob is not unusual, a large number of people live like Bob. If Bob wants to open carry he should be concerned about your concealed carry. Bob wants you to worry about his rights too.

This is Bob's place.

Notice the back ground changes in the straight part of the road. Please let Bob open carry.

001-1.jpg 002-2.jpg 003-2.jpg 004-1.jpg 006-1.jpg 008-1.jpg 022.jpg 039.jpg 040.jpg

Last edited by JonSidneyB, Feb 19, 2014
    groovster and patientcero like this.
  14. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a question for those that think open carry makes you a target. Is there any actual evidence of this? In most of the self defence threads on this forum post after post expounds the benefits of looking like a hard target. I can't think of a harder target then an aware person with a gun. I have a good imagination, so I can imagine situations where a bad guy knowing I have a gun would be detrimental. But the bad guy walking out of the convince store without trying to rob it because of the patron at the back with a45 on his hip makes him think twice seems like a far more likely scenario.

Just to be clear, I live in a state that doesn't allow open carry. I'm in favor of open carry mostly because I think getting in trouble because your shirt pulled up and someone could see your handgun is silly. And partly because I would rather know who around me is armed. Also, if given the choice I probably wouldn't open carry. Mostly because it would make me feel self conscious and uncomfortable. So is all this tactical advantage stuff us trying to justify the way we prefer to carry? Or are open carriers really getting shot at more then concealed carriers?

15. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

-Yes
    -No-not where I reside Yes- where my parents reside (another state)

-I do not like OC for me personally in a dense populace environment for various situation awareness reasons.

I often open carry where parents are as it's AG country and draws little unwarranted attention in town (this is changing however) and easier for outdoors due to activities/chores, etc being in a wooded environment.

16. Subie J

Subie J Loaded Pockets

Factually speaking, you will be hard pressed to find statistics if at all. There's no data or machine which can predict a persons actions. Even if there were, would you bet your life on a statistic?
    I'm sure law enforcement and military personal can attest to carrying a gun and being shot at. Thugs aren't MIT grads.

Wearing a gun doesn't turn you into superman or unlock all the answers. I carry a gun for absolute worst case scenario defending my life and my loved ones. Not preventing crime. Many will tell you (including law enforcement) : intervening isn't always the best option. Sometimes calling 911 and being a vigilant witness is the better path.
    Say that thug does rob the convince store. All eyes are now on you to do something. Intervening and confrontation could escalate to death of one or both parties. Even if you are the "good guy" you can find yourself in court or jail. A few recent stories come to mind on that topic..

Again I'm not saying OC should be banned or anyone who does it is wrong. I understand it's perks and attraction. This is just my personal opinion.

RayFromJersey and kertap75 like this.
  17. farnorthdan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

farnorthdan Loaded Pockets

live in AK no permit required for either

18. RayFromJersey

RayFromJersey Loaded Pockets

I'm guilty of the "open carrying makes you more of a target" assumption. I have no facts or evidence behind it, just a personal opinion, besides the fact that it's drilled into us with training.

Do I get questioned or looked at suspiciously because of open carrying? Sure.
    Have I been targeted and my life threatened because of open carrying? Not that I know of.

19. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16 Loaded Pockets

I feel like I retain the element of surprise by CC. If you open carry and someone comes in guns drawn you are pretty SOL, not so much with CC.

RayFromJersey and groovster like this.
  20. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

1. Yes - Oregon

2. No.

3. As others have stated, I don't care for the attention. I'm close enough to Portland that I'd probably be looked at as a pariah.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk