1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Open Carry Texas

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by jerit, May 30, 2014.

1. jerit

jerit Loaded Pockets

Texas is, argumentatively, one of most firearm friendly states in America. Guns are very much a part of our heritage, and our culture. Currently, there is a group of 2nd amendment supporters actively promoting open carry of any and all firearms. The group, Open Carry Texas (OCT), is planning to hold a rally on May 31 at the local Home Depot. They expect 150 or more, fully armed supporters, to be there. Some think HD gave tacit approval for the event, but their home office is now indicating that the event would violate their non-solicitation policy and will not be allowed. I wouldn't want to be the store manager, or more likely, the police officer, who has to tell 150 fully armed people to leave the property.

OCT has been promoting their cause by standing at busy intersections, always armed, usually with long guns or combat weapons, and distributing informational pamphlets. This past week, some groups have entered busy restaurants such as Chipotles and Starbucks.

Apparently, many people are intimidated by a guy, with a 308 slung over his shoulder, ordering a Double Moche Carmel Ribbon Crunch Frappuccino. Anyway, many eating places, and stores are now posting No Guns allowed policies.

What is your opinion of open carry, and do you think OCT's tactics are good or counterproductive?

2. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've said it before, I'll say it again:

The first part of "tactical" is "tact".

And these idiots have none.

I have no problem with open carry, really, but neither do I need to go to the hardware store loaded for bear. I mean, seriously? Sure, I'll agree you have a right. But the Constitution doesn't guarantee a right to stupidity.

3. Torpedo Vegas

Torpedo Vegas Loaded Pockets

These guys are definitely doing more harm then good when they go out with assault rifles. When people see them they are more likely to think why is someone allowed to carry a gun like that instead of thinking I sure wish I could see that everywhere I go. Demonstrations like that can alienate people who would otherwise consider themselves gun supporters and make them re consider some of their views

Edit: As far as open carry goes kd7dvd nailed it. It make more sense for a bunch of guys with guns on their hip to walk in and order a cup of coffee then it does for the same group to walk in with assault rifles.

Edit2: Just read that earlier this month in Texas some group did the same thing with "long guns" at Sonic and Chilis. Sonic is now prohibiting guns on its premises and Chilis is asking customers not to open carry in its restaurants. Does not seem very productive to me

Last edited by Torpedo Vegas, May 30, 2014
  4. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

They are extremely poor ambassadors for gun rights. The way to change someone's opinion on a subject or otherwise attempt to inform them is not to shove the object in question in their face and say "deal with it". That only serves to reinforce negative opinions. I'm pretty comfortable around guns, but the moment someone walks into the restaurant where I'm eating with a semi-automatic rifle in hand, my eyes will be glued to them until they leave. I have no idea what they intend to do and I won't relax. It actually ruins my meal. I'm sorry, but open carrying a .308 into Chipotles is not, and never will feel, normal no matter how many times they try it.
    In fact, considering how heavy-handedly they're approaching the subject and how much negative media they're garnering (stores beginning to post "no Guns Allowed" signs?!), I wouldn't be surprised if the demonstrations were actually organized by the anti-gun crowd.

Sorry if it seems a bit of a rant, but I view this the same way I view people of other religions trying to recruit me into their cause. Standing on a street corner announcing the end of the world or my inevitable journey to hell is NOT a way to convince me to join their cause.

Lead gently. Be a gentleman. Provide the information and allow others to make their own decision. But that's just me.

5. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Chili's and Sonic now (according to a non-authoritative Facebook post I just received) have anti-gun policies on their premises. Whether or not that's enforceable depends on the laws of your state, of course, but that doesn't matter. What matters is a group of individuals who are unable to leave the rifles in the pickup have screwed it up for everyone. Thanks guys! :nah_disagree:

6. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

Baby steps. We should be allowed to walk around with a rifle slung. First we need to get everyone comfortable with pistols carried openly. If and when that happens, the attempt to normalize carrying rifles can be attempted. I support the right to open carry, but I prefer to carry mine concealed. When everyone else starts open carrying, I may change my behavior. I think these open carry demonstrations are very counter-productive.

7. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

A guy or guys carrying handguns openly OK, but a bunch with assault or long guns makes me wonder what's up and a little nervous. Not a smart move especially with clips inserted.

8. automaticjack

automaticjack Loaded Pockets

Hi, first a disclaimer, I'm not an American citizen so my view is purely an outside one. Having said that, I agree with the majority on this thread. If I was visiting an "open carry" state, I'd accept that I'd see people walking around with firearms, such as a handgun on the hip in a supermarket, etc, or a long gun slung over the shoulder of someone plainly either in a hunting situation or returning from one. Does Texas have a Stand Your Ground law? If a stranger to the state panics on seeing a heavily armed stranger approaching his vehicle and shoots him in "self defense" the lawyers are going to earn a lot of money arguing the pros and cons of the case.

groovster, JonSidneyB and SAKplumber like this.
  9. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I believe that OC of long guns is legal in TX, but OC of pistols is not. That's why they're carrying rifles. If TX would allow OC of pistols, they wouldn't carry rifles in public in protest.

That's not to say that what they're doing is helping. It's just the form of protest that is available to them.

I'm 100% in favor of OC being legal, but you won't see me doing it.

10. 59Bassman

59Bassman Loaded Pockets

I've started seeing more people OCing in TN (it's legal here - although it was only legalized to keep you from committing a crime if your cover garment exposed your CC piece...). I don't mind much, although the folks I'm seeing carrying openly are the ones I'd rather weren't carrying in the first place, normally.

I agree that rifles and shotguns are a bit much. If I am in a Starbucks and a mall ninja walks in with his Bushmaster, I'm bailing for the exit. I don't care what his intent is, an openly carried rifle is currently understood to be a danger symbol - whether it's the National Guard, local PD, or a private citizen. Therefore, people OCing long guns will cost the company money. Companies will only stand with you as long as you're not hurting their bottom line. Do something that hurts them and they'll ask you not to come back. Pretty simple.

11. jemhouston
    • +2 Supporter

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

Add me having issues with open carry. I understand why, but carrying shoulder weapons is upsetting to many people. They complain to businesses, and they decided to ban all guns.

My primary problem is with security. The last thing I want is for someone open carrying to get ambushed in the rest room, having them injured, and losing their weapon.

That said, post major disaster I would like to open carry.

groovster, SAKplumber and neutrontech like this.
  12. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Home Depot is a corporate entity. The notion of "tacit" agreement regarding any kind of meeting is
    1. delusional
    2. calls into question whether the Kool-Aid mix is being stored too close to the pesticides. :confused:
    The notion of "some" ("Some think HD gave tacit approval for the event") reads as "plausible deniability."

Home Depot stores and the attached parking lots are private property. If asked to leave, anything short of immediate, speedy and courteous compliance places 150+ citizens (armed or not) squarely in the area marked in bright red known as "WRONG."

I am fine with guns, gun ownership, concealed carry, open carry, carrying fire-arms while wearing an otter suit.
    [​IMG]

A carry permit doesn't automatically grant anyone the organizational or logistical skills to hold a public event. And absent that skill, they should refrain.

ATB,
    Sam

13. Torpedo Vegas

Home Depot corporate communication director came out and said that they had no plans to prevent the rally from taking place. He then went on to say "Our feeling is that ultimately, the voters direct the laws on gun carry issues, so we defer to the prevailing ordinances in states and communities, Therefore, customers who are legally permitted to carry firearms are allowed to do so when entering our stores, provided the firearms are carried in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.”

Later he said Home Depot was looking into weather it would violate the company's anti-solicitation policy. “We don’t allow any group or any individual to disrupt a store’s business.”

Companies do not want to be put into this situation. Home Depot put out some kind of generic statement where they did not have to support OCT but then started looking for ways to keep them from having their event without making it political. They would much rather hide behind generic statements like they initially went with then make a corporate policy that does not allow guns. OCT forces their hands with these demonstrations and companies are then forced to take a side. The worst thing that can happen from any companies perspective is being forced to pick a side because either way they potentially will lose money and the side they take will generally lose them less money.

They could just go out with their posters, flags, and pass out information. The laws in Texas do not require them to do it while carrying rifles

Edit: So what ended up happening? Were they allowed to gather?

Last edited by Torpedo Vegas, May 31, 2014
  14. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

I am a native Texan and this sums it up for me. Ironically the rifles are legal but I think these kinds of demonstrations are more likely to get long guns restricted than convince legislature to ok Open Carry.

Personally I'd rather be able to legally conceal in schools than open carry anywhere.

15. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I agree with that 100%. Here in Oregon, I can carry in my daughter's elementary school. When I go across the river to Washington for my oldest's high school, I can't carry except for pickup and dropoff.

16. ketchupgun

ketchupgun Loaded Pockets

just want to say how mature, responsible "y'all" are being here (that's Texan, right?) ;)

Just cause you have an 11 inch erect male reproductive organ doesn't mean you should swing it around at he mall, even if bottomless is legal.

being Canadian, this topic fascinates me.

-Ketchupgun

17. automaticjack

Edit: Post removed so as to avoid offence.

Apologies if I did so.

SAKplumber likes this.
  18. Torpedo Vegas

I have lived in Texas all my life and have never seen anyone in public with a Rifle. The kind of person that would do something like that has to really want to because it is pretty inconvenient. As far as hunters go most people break down their gun in the field or put it in some sort of case for transport. I have never seen a group of hunters come into a restaurant after a day of hunting with their guns. Has anyone ever seen a person in public walking around with a long gun? Im talking about out of context so gun stores, ranges, or gun shows would not count.

Edit: Looks like Home Depot allowed them to gather in the parking lot but would not allow them to enter the store. In the same article I read it said that the group had demonstrated several times on street corners in Arlington but the city has now banned them.

BklynBoy and BubbaFett like this.
  19. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

:confused: What was the point of bringing up religion and reproductive organs in this conversation? :nah_disagree:

SAKplumber and BubbaFett like this.
  20. automaticjack

I have edited out my post, apologies if I gave offence. TBH, I forgot which forum I was on.

SAKplumber likes this.