1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Open Carry, Do You or Don't You

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Captain. Glock, Jun 28, 2009.

1. wjh2657

wjh2657 Empty Pockets

I have developed a balanced system of gun and holster that allows me to pocket carry with every type of trousers/jeans/shorts I wear. This said, why bother to open carry? Gun and pocket holster go in right front pocket, Bianchi speed strip into left pocket along with my Spyderco Endura 4. Don't get any better than this. I'm so used to it now that I don't even really notice them.

2. walters76

walters76 Empty Pockets

Open carry is not legal in my state and I wouldn't open carry if it was. I see no benefits of open carry. I really don't give a :censored: about making a political statement. I'd like to be able to suprise a would-be attacker rather than him knowing exactly what I was carrying or possibly attacking/shooting me without warning because he identified me as a threat because I was wearing my firearm where everyone could see it.

3. gsxrac

gsxrac Empty Pockets

Well where I live open carry is legal but I can honestly say the only time ive ever seen anybody open carry aside from on farm land and such was a guy with a chromed out desert eagle pointing at his "family jewels" in a not so great part of town so something tells me he wasnt worried about legality or being discrete.

I personally dont. I would much rather carry concealed. I get questioned enough about carrying knives and flashlights clipped to my pockets. I can only imagine what kinda crap id catch if I decided to open carry...?

4. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

I'm also from Ohio and I spoke with the local police & was told "yes, it's legal to open carry, but just beware that an officier will probably stop you and ask you why".
    I don't open carry , I don't want the attention.

5. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

When I lived in Arizona I'd OC all the time. Nobody seemed to care.

6. Alann45

Alann45 Empty Pockets

In Georgia, carrying requires a permit; doesn't matter if its open or concealed.

Generally, I always carry concealed. I did carry open in the range/gunshop I worked at. Somewhat as a deterrent; customers of the range were not allowed to carry loaded, figured I'd let them know the range officer was; eliminated a lot of arguments. As far as deterring robbers I never felt that was very necessary; I've never heard of gun shop or pistol range being robbed. Certainly would be the last place I would pick.

I don't really carry concealed for the surprise aspect, but more for the fact it makes a lot of nice folks nervous if they see you are carrying a gun.
    The deterrent factor in open carry is certainly arguable. Would seem to make some sense for shop owners in high target stores (licquor, convenience, etc), but probably not worth it for the public reaction in most stores.

One thing I did discover over the years is that if you are proficient and confident with the weapon you are carrying it somehow shows in your demeanor. Punks and thieves may not see the gun, but they get the...uhh...animal I guess...vibe that you are not the normal prey, and tend to leave you alone.

7. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

In hostile environments I sometimes let things I carry be displayed (not weapons, thats against the rules) but things like magazines and mag carriers, knives, streamlight flashlights.... Just in case some mutant is unsure of who the alpha dog is right then.

8. Badbull

Badbull Empty Pockets

Texas doesn't have open carry. They do allow concealed carry without a permit in your vehicle not on your person for handguns. I have a CCL and I think the vehicle part is backwards as you can openly have any rifle or shotgun fully loaded in plain sight in your vehicle. I think it should be the same for a handgun, being a rifle or shotgun is hard to get to strapped in a seat belt and so is a concealed handgun. I would like to wear it openly when driving and that would be the only time. I'm fine with concealed everywhere else.

9. ewenit

ewenit Empty Pockets

I do on my own property but out and about on town I stick to concealed carry (I'd rather the baddies not know that I have a firearm on my person)

10. Warp

Warp Empty Pockets

Yes, I do open carry. Somewhat frequently, and I have for years.

I primarily conceal, though, of course. When carrying openly it is typically a Glock 19 in a blackhawk serpa CQC.