1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Open Carry, Do You or Don't You

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Captain. Glock, Jun 28, 2009.

1. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

It is NOT legal to open carry where I live either.

Personally, I do not care for open carry, as it is no one's business whether or not I am carrying a gun.

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The "pros" usually associated with the carry of a firearm in plain view, from one law enforcement perspective, is that officials immediately know whom has a firearm.

The "cons," from the professional's (ne' LE) view is that those NOT favoring the carry of firearms BY private citizens shall ultimately become startled by the sight of a firearm carried openly by ANYONE!

3. Patrick T

Patrick T Empty Pockets

Open carry is in fact legal here in Oregon but, while I’d die to defend the right, I strongly disagree with doing so.

1) As has already been stated, you are not only giving away the element of surprise, you are also running the risk of have fewer choices if something goes down. Rather than being able to just keep your head down and be a good witness, you may be forced to act when the situation wouldn’t warrant it because the threat sees that you are armed and engages you.

2) Winning hearts and minds. The “in your face” :censored: only gives the enemies of the RKBA more ammunition (pun intended) to use against us since every soccer mom that is made uncomfortable by it will be more receptive to the gun grabbers :censored:. I would much rather have someone be completely surprised that we pack and help break down the stereotypes about people who choose to exercise their rights. Let’s not do the gun grabber’s job for them by creating negative associations.

3) I don’t buy the deterrent factor as much since I am inclined to believe that the kind of criminal that would be deterred by a gun, would probably be just as effectively deterred by a person who is obviously not a pushover and is aware of their surroundings. I used to believe in the deterrent factor of a gun until I worked in corrections. That experience convinced me that your overall persona and how you carry yourself cause you to be de-selected as a victim better than having a visible weapon.

My $.02

Patrick

4. Underhill
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Underhill Perpetually Hungry

Here in Iowa it IS legal to open carry with a carry license, but since it's a may issue state, many sheriffs will revoke your carry permit if you attempt to LEGALLY open carry, or for any other reason that suits their fancy...

5. Patrick T

Patrick T Empty Pockets

In Oregon you must have a permit to carry or possess a concealed firearm in public, period. A CCW permit allows one to legally carry a concealed handgun, but not a rifle, etc.

Oregon Revised StatutesOregon Revised Statutes

6. conquer88

conquer88 Loaded Pockets

In philippines I do open carry W/ 50rnds ammo O0 because police in the philippines is there 10minutes BEFORE THE CRIME HAPPEN :lolhammer:

7. Captain. Glock

Captain. Glock Empty Pockets

My bad I meant to say "as long as it's not concealed" not "as long as it's concealed". I'll go back and fix it, misunderstanding, sorry.

8. Patrick T

Patrick T Empty Pockets

No worries bro. I just don't anyone getting cuffed and stuffed due to a misunderstanding of the law.
    :D

Patrick

9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Only in the house.

10. indabayou

indabayou Loaded Pockets

Louisiana,you can open carry,i have coming back from hunting or fishing. Most of the time people here don't even give a second glance if you do.

11. BigV

BigV Loaded Pockets

Ohio is a right to carry state so open carry is legal as long as you can legally purchase a handgun you can openly carry it.
    As far as the open -vs – concealed carry, I like many others here don't want anyone to know I am armed. If the need to draw occurs it will be a surprise to the bad guy(s).
    I am a firm believer that open carry makes you a target. Not only a target for the would be attacker who will take out the armed threat first, but also to the uneducated LE officers out there that feel they are the only ones who should carry a firearm.

12. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Same here. It's legal in Maine and I've done it while hunting. Obviously in the woods it's not a big deal, but even if I end up in town going to the store or something, I won't take it off just because I'm going to be around people. Not something that I'd do everyday, obviously. But people here aren't going to give it a second thought. Open carry is probably better than printing...

13. litework

litework Loaded Pockets

In Virginia, you can openly carry a firearm. I choose not to. I can definitely see the merits of both. I prefer discretion. The benefits of concealed carry have been discussed at length. I certainly have no problems with someone excercising their rights, and I think that the more the general public witnesses people openly carrying without issue, the more gun owners and non-gun owners alike will benefit.

14. uxu

uxu Loaded Pockets

:iagree:

I'm in Michigan, and our fine state is an open carry state. I choose not to OC because I have a Concealed Pistol License (CPL), don't think I really need to inform people of that I'm carrying, and feel there is a tactical advantage in case TSHTF. We have quite a vocal group in Michigan that feels differently than me with regard to OC. I agree to disagree with their stance and their in your face methods.

15. Mr.Clean

Mr.Clean Empty Pockets

I open carry sometimes, mowing lawn/yard work/pumping gas.
    When I conceal, which is most of the time, I make very little attempt to not print.

16. uxu

uxu Loaded Pockets

Since we have quite a few people in Michigan with concealed pistol licenses (CPLs) now, I often try to play spot the weapon... and it's pretty hard. With so many people carrying cellphones and what not on their belts, it's difficult. Additionally, I don't think that many people (except other CPL holders) notice.

In reality, I don't think people would notice even if I was carrying a concealed basketball. :trampoline:

17. glocker21

glocker21 Loaded Pockets

Open carry is perfectly legal in Montana...my question is this...why would you? I look at open carry as a request to shoot me first. I prefer to be the unknown quantity.

Glocker21 sends

18. Captain. Glock

Captain. Glock Empty Pockets

So, I've come to the conclusion that open carry is legal in a lot of places but most people prefer concealed. As for open vs. concealed carry both have the same amount of negatives and positives, advantages and disadvantages. There is one thing that a relative told me that hadn't even occurred to me and that is politics. Today when speaking to that relative he brought to my attention that most people that carry open are making a political statement.

19. captainamerica

captainamerica Loaded Pockets

I agree. Exercising the 2A right of OC (where "allowed" by state law, etc.) is a political statement. MO allows local ordinances against OC and KC/St. Louis metro areas both have a myriad of places that do and do not allow OC. I'd love exercise my 2A OC rights and make a political statement more often but not while living in the metro.

20. mercop

mercop Empty Pockets

I am not aware of any instructors who advise OC. The idea is to be the gray man and move unnoticed and effortlessly as possible. Wearing a gun on your hip does not work to that end.- George