1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Open Carry, Do You or Don't You

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Captain. Glock, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Captain. Glock

Captain. Glock Empty Pockets

Fellow EDCers:

I like to open carry on my property and sometimes even when I'm out and about. Where I live you can carry any gun (handgun, shotgun, rifle, etc) in public as long as it's not concealed, you don't even need a permit. Most people see the gun and don't care (people where I live are pretty gun friendly/neutral) but occasionally there is someone that sees it and practically takes of running. That's the situation where I live, but I was wondering if where you guys live you can open carry and if you do?

Regards,
    Captain. Glock

2. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Cannot currently in public, we are lobbying to get the ability. So I would if I could.

3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

As my Southern belle of an Aunt would say: "Oh Hell No!"

4. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

open carry is not legal in my state

5. Captain. Glock

Wow. I'm actually quite surprised that most of you can't carry open. You'd think open carry would be allowed in more places cause it allows people to know who has a gun. Then again it could cause more people to freak cause they can see a gun. I don't know, just some thoughts.

6. MrReady

MrReady Empty Pockets

Open Carry is legal where i am living. However, I would not do it. People might get freaked out.
    Another possible issue is the whole "me first" thing. If a robber goes into a gas station to rob it
    and they see you, you are the first target. They see your weapon and need to get rid of you first.
    I prefer concealed carry myself. I like to have the advantage over the bad guy. You have to know
    whats best for you.

7. Captain. Glock

I totally agree with you especially on the "me first" thing. What I was trying to say is open carrying while say mowing the lawn or going for a quick walk with the wife, not as a regular thing. I totally prefer concealed carry for everyday carry but I was just talking about say on saturday when your not going to work and just wanna relax.

8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The late, great comedian George Carlin correctly described this behavior when he coined this phrase.

9. Captain. Glock

:iagree:

10. MrReady

MrReady Empty Pockets

Oh I see, I wasn't sure about that. In that case, why not. It couldn't hurt. I dont know if you have young
    kids or anything but I doubt it would be a problem. If your area is cool about guns they wont even think
    anything about it.

11. Andy Wayne

Andy Wayne Loaded Pockets

12. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

Here in Florida open carry is a no-no, unless you are on your own property or place of business. We used to be able to circa late 80's, but it seems the average non-gun person freaks out at the sight of non LEO or military packing heat.
    I used to open carry in the tattoo shop I worked in, kinda as an additional deterrent...
    And EVERYBODY else had heat at their station, so I knew I was covered if a gun grab was attempted. When you work with that much cash things can happen. Our head piercer actually had to shoot the ceiling to break up a fight that started in the waiting area once. Another time after a big parade/event came thru a bunch of punks started throwing beer bottles into the crowds...we had to close the doors and showed we were armed to keep people from trying to break thru and stampeed the shop.
    All in all for the average, day to day affairs I perfer to carry concealed. Its my ace up my sleeve. Don't have to worry about a gun grab attempt. No need to be the primary target in a bad situation.

13. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

From whence do you hail Captain?

14. macman37

macman37 Empty Pockets

I don't open carry. I'd rather it be a ... delightful surprise that I'm armed ... to a prospective mugger. ;)

15. alphazulu

alphazulu Loaded Pockets

In Arizona, we can legally carry firearms in the open. I do exercise this right. I have never noticed anyone "freaked out" at the sight of me legally carrying a firearm. It really wouldn't deter me from carrying a firearm. Thank God I live in a state that respects my God given rights.

16. 3fgburner

3fgburner Loaded Pockets

Concealed, usually. If I'm going into a restaurant that serves alcohol, I have to open-carry in VA.

17. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

I can open carry, but never do so. I figure that it gives away the element of surprise in a self-defense scenario, though one could argue that open carry is also a deterrent. I prefer to fly below the radar and not draw attention to myself. JMO.

18. Captain. Glock

The great state of Oregon

19. Captain. Glock

I didn't exactly mean "freak out" put I gotten that look once or twice from certain people that tells you they think your creepy and as soon as I looked back at them they turn and walk away very very fast.

20. Captain. Glock

New Question:
    I've seen that most of don't open carry, I usually don't either. My question to you now is what are the pros and cons of open carry?