1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ontario Utilitac 2 or How I Learend to Love Cheap Knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by fkmtb07, Mar 17, 2014.

1. fkmtb07

fkmtb07 Loaded Pockets

Hey guys,
    I recently learned about the Ontario Utilitac 2 in the Rat 1 thread and boy is this a really awesome blade! It's a bit bigger, heavier, and more stout than the Rat 1, with similar construction (AUS-8A blade steel, full stainless liners, nylon scales, etc) to the Rat 1, but the looks and ergos are top notch!

As with the Rat 1 and Rat 2, the Utilitac 2 comes in a variety of configurations. The U2 is available with 2 different handle styles, black or satin blade, tanto or drop point, and serrated or plain edge, for a pretty staggering array of different combinations. I got the black on black plain edge drop point with the more rounded handled. They handles are SUPER comfy with rounded over edges, the deployment is very fast, blade centering dead nuts in the middle and lock-up nothing short of perfect.

I prefer the U2 to the R1 for several reasons: ergos, blade shape, and the plastic handles are grippier than the Rat's. Combined those features w/ the overall quality of the Rat 1 we're all familiar with and this is a stellar knife.

For some reason I really like black blades on my cheaper beater knives. The U2 has been a great heavy use utility knife and joins my Rat 1's and 2's, Tenacious, and Mini Recon 1 in household, EDC, yard work, garage, and general rough use work. Knives you're not afraid to abuse, bang around, and neglect.

Here's a couple of pictures of the U2 w/ my beloved Mini Recon 1 (both knives sporting the "stick it to the righties" lefty-only thumb stud mod) and Tenacious.

Certain online retailers are selling U2s for less than 30 dollars. Get yourself a couple today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wydern

Wydern Loaded Pockets

Bought one for my self a while back, love it. But strangely enough I don't have a rat 1 yet.:confused: Shrade's new line up was what really convinced me that there are beaters that can look good too.(if your a fan of blackwash)

3. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I have an older Utilitac (not a Utilitac 2) that is now discontinued. My brother gave it to me a couple of years ago. I think he paid about $12 for it. It has been my go to, hard use folder since I got it. The blade is partially serrated. I'm not normally a fan of serrated blades, but I've used this knife for everything from cutting down boxes to laying linoleum flooring. It has been a workhorse. Solid lock up and great ergonomics...I wish I had bought a few more before Ontario discontinued them.

4. Samuel Sturm

Samuel Sturm Loaded Pockets

I like mine pretty well, myself. Wish it didn't dull so fast, though...
    [​IMG]

WichitaJLJ, Revival and fkmtb07 like this.
  5. KOKUSHI MUSOU

KOKUSHI MUSOU Loaded Pockets

Slightly off topic but how are you liking the Tenacious as a lefty? I'm a lefty and thinking about getting the Tenacious myself due to a certain product announcement on this forum but not sure about that lockbar cutout.

Also, the Utilitac looks pretty nice. Holding out though in hopes that Ontario will release pink ones.

6. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Looks Great!
    Too bad its so big... :(

Adahn and jag-engr like this.
  7. fkmtb07

fkmtb07 Loaded Pockets

It's okay. Definitely my least favorite ergos of the three knives shown. It doesn't really bother my hand when I'm using it, but it's definitely a pretty aggressive cutout, like a lot of liner lock Spydercos tend to have.

KOKUSHI MUSOU likes this.
  8. Liberteer

Liberteer Loaded Pockets

Alright, i have to ask..what is everyones obsession with the Ontario folders? the Rat 1 and 2..i've seen and handled both..and they just seem so uncomfortable and awkward to me..maybe that's just me, idk. whats so great about em?

AK Adventurer likes this.
  9. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

They're extrememly comfortable. ;) :p

Serriously though, thats one of the main reasons I love my RAT2. It IS extremely comfortable to me.
    Otherwise, its a high quality to price ratio that (IMO) is a big draw to a lot of folks. A good solid build for the price, steel is well treated and holds a good edge. Thin blade, good shape.

Dunno if anyone else has noticed this, but I personally love the geometry/spacing of the thumb stud to the pivot, and their placement in the blade; its offset just right, that with the super smooth pivot action, you can flick the thumbstud toward the pivot/end of the knife and it will open the blade lightning fast with no wrist flick at all... Its faster than all my AO knives!(called a "coin flip" opening method I believe)

10. NOT-A-FAN

NOT-A-FAN Loaded Pockets

I agree completely. They had some great substance to them, good weight and balance, but its just didnt feel right.

11. z0mbiSl4y3r

z0mbiSl4y3r Loaded Pockets

I was considering the U2... I might have to get one just to satisfy my curiosity now.

12. z0mbiSl4y3r

Honestly, Ontario makes some :censored: good knives. The Red Jacket Firearms 1911 I have is a STOUT knife.

13. z0mbiSl4y3r

I'd love to get my hands on their XM-1D Camo Plain edge

14. z0mbiSl4y3r

I've just seen Assisted opening Rat 1 knives on certain sites for pre-order

15. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I picked up a tanto point and a drop point round handle Utilitac ii not to long ago.
    Was nicely suprised by the value to dollar ratio.
    Plan on using these as my Jeep beater knives and think they will work just fine in that role.
    Contemplating getting the square handle ones since they are such a good deal.

16. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

I have a mark 1, that I love. Smooth clean deploy, liner is shaped to not hack your fingers. Says 440 steel but they do not say 440a or 440c.
    And I think the RAT 1 is quite comfortable but a bit big for pants carry.

17. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

More people seem to like the Rat 1 more then it's smaller brother. I very much like the Rat 2, modded it, but found out that as an edc I prefer smaller blades like a SRM 710 or gent's knives in the size of a Mnandi. Maybe have to try that Boker Panatela, but I'd like to have something with a better steel with better edge retention. Not at the moment though...