1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Only One multitool

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by FerFAL, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Kardolf

Kardolf Loaded Pockets

Dodger,

I'm curious as to how much effort or time you are saving with your Gerber verses my Leatherman when it comes to opening it? I'm not that familar with the Gerber, but if I understand correctly, there is a button on the side that releases the head, and allows you to flick it to an extended position? My Leatherman operates similar to a balisong, in that I basically flip it open when I need the pliers. I usually have the pliers open before I can get the tool from my sheath to whatever I am working on, with just one hand.

I appreciate any further explanation you can give me on this, as I just ordered a new style Wave, and if there is another option that I should look at, I probably need to do so before I get the new Wave, and make my decision about whether or not to return it ASAP.

2. Dodger

Dodger Empty Pockets

With my Gerber all I have to do to open it is hold it by the buttons and give it a slight shake not even a flick and the pliers are open and ready to use and I can do this even wearing heavy rescue gloves or structure fire gloves.
    I love the Leatherman Wave I have I often carry as my off duty EDC but for work when I need to use the pliers quickly its the Gerber for me.

I should point out that I rarely if ever use any of the other tools in the Gerber in a hurry so to speak and never with gloves on and this applies to ALL of the multitools that I have ever tried, they are just about impossible to manipulate in Heavy Gloves.

At one point I tried carrying a pair of pliers but they would often hang up on stuff as I pulled them from my pocket, a problem I could have solved with a pouch or something I suppose.

3. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

Nice to hear from a fellow 'balisong' leatherman flicker.. My old trusty (worn loose in the joints) WAVE lets me open it with a flourish. The new CHARGE is still to stiff to do it.

4. alfanator

alfanator Loaded Pockets

I have been pocket carrying a Wave for a couple of years in a pouch. Use it almost daily.

5. MrVanimal

MrVanimal Empty Pockets

I have been carrying a LM Juice XE6 in a belt clip sheath for a couple of months now. I also carry a Victorinox MiniChamp II in my pocket (but thats a SAK, not a multitool technically). I just recieved a Victorinox SwissTool Spirit X yesterday. I might have that replace my juice for a bit once I get the clip on belt sheath for it in the mail.

6. ChargeTTi

ChargeTTi Empty Pockets

Go on, ask me which multitool to get ;D

Chris

7. Captain. Glock

Captain. Glock Empty Pockets

Lemme guess what you would recommend .... um, lemme think .... a wave! :lolhammer:

8. chicken0207

chicken0207 Loaded Pockets

Go with the core all the way i love mine to death.

Chicken0207

9. Kabong30

Kabong30 Empty Pockets

Dang man! I just saw your post, sorry. It's working out great. I stopped carrying my Flash II and gave it to my wife. I love this thing.

10. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Swisstool Spirit is a favorite here.

11. Paracord Junky

Paracord Junky Loaded Pockets

i'd say Swisstool X. i've never used a Spirit so i can't comment on it. if you're set on leatherman i'd go with the Charge. same tools as the Wave, but better blade steel and titanium handle scales = win.

12. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

What is the difference between the Swisstool X model and the Swisstool? I have the Swisstool it's a nice tool but I like the Swisstool Spirit or Swisstool Spirit S better. The difference between the Swisstool Spirit S and the Swisstool Spirit is in the "S" model the scissors are replaced with a straight edge blade. It would be hard to compare Vic's Swisstools to Leatherman but "generally" speaking, the Swisstool is more the size and weight as the Leatherman Surge or Core. The Swisstool Spirit is more along the size and weight as a Leatherman Wave.

Parawolfe

13. Paracord Junky

Paracord Junky Loaded Pockets

The original SwissTool
    Has: 2nd knife blade, metal file
    Does not have: scissors, belt cutter
    This model can also be had in a black oxide finish.

The SwissTool RS
    Has: belt cutter, scissors
    Does not have: metal file, 2nd knife blade

The SwissTool X
    Has: scissors, metal file
    Does not have: belt cutter, 2nd knife blade

Other than [this], the 3 models are identical.

(courtesy of amazon.com customer review)

14. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

I saw that review on Amazon after I posted. Thanks for posting it for me anyway. I may have to break down a get a SwissTool RS. I have the original but I like the addition of the belt cutter and scissors.

Parawolfe

15. Ainsley

Ainsley Loaded Pockets

I have my Spirit on my belt every day.

16. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

You're joking right?

17. gadgetguy35

In all seriousness, if you are looking for a great multi that has everything in one package, you need to ask yourself if you care to have OH blades or not. that will most likely be the biggest factor since is is a huge decision. I personally edc a LM blast and LM skeletool. I can't go without the blast but I need the OH blade on the skeletool. I know that this equals two, so obviously my choice isn't right for you. I would probably go with a Charge because of the versatility over the wave. I don't know if the charge does this, but the wave has a nasty pinch point due to the spine of the knives, and it took a serious amount of thumb padding off of my hand. This could be because of my hand size or how I hold the tool. You really need to hold each model you are thinking of before you buy so you don't waste your money. And if you want quality, do yourself a favor and only look at Leatherman or Victorinox. They are the ONLY multitool guys that know what they are doing.

18. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

If you just carry the Skeletool around for the one hand blade, why not carry the Freestyle CX? Since you're carrying around two MT's might as well try and make one as small as possible. The blade size is the same but the Freestyle CX, like the Skeletool CX, has a 154CM blade on it. Unless of course you need the bit driver on the Skeletool as well.

Parawolfe

19. gadgetguy35

I contemplated the Freestyle, and I still may try it, but I actually like the size of the skeletool for a handle, I can grip it better than the freestyle. Knowing me, I will own a freestyle asap anyway.

20. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

Just go directly to the CX. Better blade steel and the blade is a plain edge. I would like to see a Freestyle with a bit driver, that would be ideal for me. I'm not a fan of the lanyard/bottle opener on the Skeletool. I've noticed that the Skeletool CX now has a 154CM plain edge blade. I've had a Skeletool since they came out and it used to be reversed. The Skeletool CX had a combo edge but still with the 154CM and the Skeletool had the plain edge in 420HC. My Skeletool has the plain edge in 420HC. I think they made the switch the same time the Freestyle was released.

Parawolfe