1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Only One multitool

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by FerFAL, Jun 6, 2009.

1. FerFAL

FerFAL Loaded Pockets

In the end thats what most of us carry.
    I'm looking around for one to replace my Gerber and as of right now I'm between the Wave and Charge, slightly inclined towards the Wave.
    It will mostly be used for city/suburban enviroment.
    Whihc one would you get? Any other advice/suggestions?

Thanks guys

FerFAL

2. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

it would depend on how the tool was carried

pocket carry.......Skeletool, light , has the basics

bag carry .......Wave, more tools, thicker and heavier

3. Bucky

Bucky Loaded Pockets

If size and weight are not an issue, I would go with the Charge TTi for the S30V and serrated blade with the cutting hook.

If size and weight are an issue, I would recommend the Skeletool CX or the upcoming Skeletool Freestyle CX.

4. bruss

bruss Empty Pockets

+1 on the charge Ti :iagree:

5. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

So long as true needlenose pliars are not a requirement my vote goes for Victorinox's Swisstool.

6. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Micra on my keychain, Wave in my briefcase (EDC bag), Gerber multitool in my medical bag (can be used for field dentistry).

7. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yikes:

8. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

I have the FreeStyle CX and although I really like it, all it has is the 154CM blade and the same pliers as the Skeletool. Both are really nice, the blade is made of quality stainless steel. The tool would be perfect if they had included the bit driver is some retractable form. I have a Skeletool and a FreeStyle and they are the exact same tools except the FreeStyle doesn't have the lanyard/bottle opener and the bit driver. I'm not a fan of the lanyard/bottle opener but would like to have seen the bit driver included on a FreeStyle model. The FreeStyle seems much smaller folded up because of the absence of the lanyard/bottle opener. I've been EDCing the FreeStyle CX for the last 3 weeks and so far really like it.

Parawolfe

9. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

i have been a WAVE fan since demo school. lately I bought a CHARGE. It comes with removable pocket clip that makes a huge difference. With the pocket clip and the flip out blade function of a good knife it has eliminated the need for me to carry a separate knife. Give the CHARGE some thought.

10. Jubal

Jubal Loaded Pockets

fyi, the wave is noticeably heavier than the gerber 600 series.

11. SnWnMe

SnWnMe Loaded Pockets

The Core is better than anything on the Leatherman line IMO. The drivers have longer shanks which makes them great for getting into hard to reach places and the blades and everything else have longer, more useful surfaces.

12. EDChris

EDChris Loaded Pockets

The Charge Ti is great. I keep that in its leather holster on my belt. I also have the Wave which stays in my car's glove compartment. Either one is a great tool. I would also recommend picking up a small tool for you keychain if you don't carry one already. There are always going to be times you can't bring your Charge (or Wave) with you. The Leatherman Squirt (P4) or a small SAK (Rambler) would be good choices.

13. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I have a pre-2004 Wave in my laptop bag, and in my book it's the best multitool I've ever owned. I have a post-2004 Wave clipped to my pocket right now, and I'm trying to decide how often I'm going to carry it. I like the Core as well, I have one in my BOB. I don't like having a cap crimper on my pliers, so that excuses the Charge TTi from consideration, for me.

In your shoes I'd ask myself: Do I need one-handed opening of the knife blade (or blades)? Do you use lots of screwdriver bits? In either case, I'd pick a Wave. If not, the Core might be a better choice for your needs. Or you could do what I did and buy them both ;D.

14. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the Charge TTI, I am carrying it every day now and loving it.
    For now, its actually replaced my EDC knife, though I still would rather use a Knife when I need a Knife.
    I dont know how I managed without EDCing this thing before!

~John

15. vivek16

vivek16 Loaded Pockets

Agreed, I love mine. I have large hands so I prefer larger multitools.

I really like the cutting hook on the Charge, I think I would use it for about half the things I use a knife for and it would be safer.

-vivek

16. ricci5

ricci5 Loaded Pockets

+1 on the swiss tool. it may be a little bulky, but if i can have only one this would be it. the saw on that thing is agressive!!!

17. tempedc

tempedc Empty Pockets

Hands down, Swisstool spirit with Butter knife

18. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

For a day to day, I have no need for a multitool, I carry a leatherman c33x as a edc knife and keep a leatherman wave in my Jeep, but that's about it.

19. madkins007

madkins007 Loaded Pockets

Leatherman Juice S2 is my daily carry multi-tool. I use it almost every day at work, but it is small enough I can pocket carry it in my back pocket without really feeling it.

I carry mine in a slightly odd way- I use the little tether loop 'tool' and a loop of cord with a monkey's paw in it and a small clip hook. Clip it to the tool, slip the tool in the back pocket, and tuck the knot under my belt. This holds the tool in a vertical position and makes it easy to get to. I might sew a small pocket on the side of my rear pocket for these tools, but have not done it yet.

20. CathastrophiX

CathastrophiX Empty Pockets

Swisstool Spirit S!