1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Only ONE item…

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Serena, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Cash is King.

Holliday

onebadwagon, F-Bobby, Weej and 2 others like this.
  2. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

You fail at counting to 1. Just saying

Weej, khclarkson, Stutz and 3 others like this.
  3. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Oh, so this is about you. Well then....here is an idea for you. A collapsible water bottle like a Platypus. It will take up virtually no space in your pack until you need it.

Weej and Water-Rat like this.
  4. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

Nothing bad happens in the Netherlands.

Weej, Jarhead Greasemonkey and Serena like this.
  5. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

If you're looking at an urban environment the only thing I would make sure I had was my phone. Banks now let you get cash out by sending a code to your phone for ATM usage. So in the city that is what I'd call my one item I can get by with.

Weej and Serena like this.
  6. Scott Mason

Scott Mason Loaded Pockets

I fail at many things that's life. During a major disaster here, earthquake most likely, your cellphone becomes a really bad flashlight. You'd be better off to carry a portable water filter.

Of course it could be that I just posted my reply to the wrong thread.

When I use my toes and fingers I can count all the way to12.

Weej likes this.
  7. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

Keys to an RV that contains my smartphone and any tools/toys/supplies I want or need.

Weej, thePlumbah and cheeser like this.
  8. Skully

Skully Loaded Pockets

iPhone with a case that has a knife on it....... That counts as one, right? ;)

Weej likes this.
  9. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

My Leatherman Charge TTi

[​IMG]

So many tools that can get you out of trouble rolled into one compact package with a pocket clip!

10. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

Good thing those major disasters don't happen nearly as often as a flat tire, or someone getting lost, or running out of money, or you run into some type of info you need to look up...

Every possible survival tool has a situation where it becomes useless. Like for example how much of a use would your water filter be if you were being mugged or physically assaulted.

onebadwagon, Weej and cheeser like this.
  11. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I used to feel that way about cash until I was smack dab in the middle of the devastation Hurricane Andrew wreaked on South Florida. It was there that I watched quite a few folks try unsuccessfully to throw cash at people for simple things like Ice, Batteries, Water, and Lighter Fluid. I quickly learned that relying on the availability of items for sale is a risky proposition. I came out of that experience with my thoughts shifted to "packing what I needed" vs. relying on others. In all the years since I had never questioned that thinking and on a trip a few years back I was broken down in a rather bad stretch of Miami where two tow truck companies actually refused to come to at 2am (even though I had offered a $100 tip to the driver). I was lucky that I had "packed what I needed" (in this case an adjustable length belt and a tool kit) as I was able to get the vehicle back on the road and to a hotel for the night.

Just a thought.

bigfoot, Weej, khclarkson and 4 others like this.
  12. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

I hear you and I agree preparedness is extremely important. But its impossible to prepare for every eventuality. For those times when you are stuck needing something you do not have/have with you, cash will get it done almost every single time…If you have enough of it :)

I'm old-school and definitely bias toward cash over all other forms of payment. Greenbacks have never failed me.

BTW, just curious, why did you call the tow truck company if you had what you needed for the repair?

Holliday

Weej, thePlumbah and FL Woods Bum like this.
  13. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

My wallet is always in my pocket, with some cash, ATM-cards and creditcard.
    Besides this there are a Vic Climber and a Zippo in my pockets. Those are the most important things I carry.
    With my bag I'm trying to carry a complete 'BOB' for an urban environment.
    Added a FAK, usb-cables, multitool, flashlight, Altoids EDC-tin,pens, batteries, bike lights to clip on my bag when walking in the dark.
    When I go to work I also carry a A4 notepad in an organizer and my iPad mini. Sometimes also carry my MacBook.

Weej likes this.
  14. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I would take the Swisschamp instead, that Leatherman can't open a Carlsberg beer.... wrong contruction on the bottle opener.

From Northern Sweden

Weej, FL Woods Bum and thePlumbah like this.
  15. jfoster

jfoster Loaded Pockets

I think I would carry my CamelBak Transformer( cause it has all my stuff in it ) but if only one item, I would have my LM Sidekick:)

Weej likes this.
  16. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

What's an adjustable length belt?

Seems like something i should know already!

FL Woods Bum

Weej likes this.
  17. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I hear you on the using cash over any other type of payment, although people were using the barter system the first week after Hurricane Andrew and cash was useless. And I agree that having a few bucks stashed can certainly get you out of some jams. I just wouldn't rely on cash as my only way to get myself out of trouble because it inherently relies on others. In the end I think it's just a difference of experiences with cash's usefulness and the phrase "almost every single time". The good part is we can agree to disagree as everyone's experiences vary.

As to the tow truck, the belt in question was a serpentine belt which meant I lost timing and had to take a significant risk by manually "finding" top dead center without the appropriate tools. Certainly a risk to my engine I would avoid by having the vehicle towed if I could. On top of this, I would would have had (and ended up having to) do all of this work "exposed" in an area that two different tow truck companies refused to come to after dark. Not sure how much time you have spent in Miami, but I was on the outskirts of Overtown (one of the areas they weren't revitalizing), and even armed (with my head under a hood and no look out), I was seriously exposed. The repair took three hours with the tools I had. Now, my guess is that in a similar situation, you would call for a tow truck first as well. ;)

Note: As I don't want to adjust the reply above, let me say this. As I am sitting here remembering the incident in detail I remember that the vehicle I was using was borrowed and was my first experience with a serpentine belt (I was always running classic Oldsmobiles or Jeeps previously). I incorrectly assumed that night that what I was dealing with would affect timing and I actually "retarded" the engine some by my efforts to "time" the engine. Needless to say, I did get the vehicle down the road and a stern lesson from the auto mechanic. LOL.

Last edited by FL Woods Bum, Aug 9, 2014
    Weej likes this.
  18. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

One of these has got me out of a jam a time or two... not meant for long term use of course, although I know some guys who run them as v-belts on their grinder setups instead of getting the appropriate length belt.

[​IMG]

Weej and Jarhead Greasemonkey like this.
  19. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I would politely suggest that if you can't open any beer in the world with a pair of pliers you shouldn't have a multi-tool to begin with! :D

With that said, I know that the opinions about one brand or model of multi-tool is as emotionally charged as Ford vs. Chevy in the U.S. or whatever the equivalent Swedish rivalry would be.

Weej likes this.
  20. Holliday

Holliday Loaded Pockets

Excellent points. Extraordinary events like Hurricane Andrew would definitely create a barter system, I would imagine.

Regarding the tow truck, say no more. Having that backstory completely explains it. I'm a city slicker, so I would have been in real bad shape if the tow truck wouldn't have been able to come out. I have zero car repair skills, unfortunately.

Holliday

Weej and FL Woods Bum like this.