1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

One Tigris Tactical ID Holder (Pic Heavy) Review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Journo, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

So I was looking for something to hold my press credentials for when I go to demonstrations and protests, there have been a few incidents across Europe where people who don't want to be photographed or reported on have stolen press credentials from journalists recently. I didn't want my ID stolen, and I do understand the dangers of not having a breakaway point on the lanyard, but I'm willing to live with that.

I searched around quite a lot and the best one I could find was the One Tigris Tactical ID Holder (I already own a One Tigris Tactical Messenger Bag and I find it to be very good). Which I paid £11.99 from Amazon.

[​IMG]IMG_20170708_143240790_HDR by , on Flickr

It's 5.1" L x 3.3" W (13 x 8.5 cm) and will hold a credit card size ID in the front display window. The display window is good quality and hasn't got scratched up in the time I have been using it, and I have put it through some hard use. It either goes in my back pocket every day, in my pack or is around my neck.

When I attend demonstrations I always clip one of my FauxPro type body cams to it, and then I use the rear retention strap to attach it to the sternum strap of my backpack to give it some stability.

[​IMG]IMG_20170708_144506323 by , on Flickr

Moving to the back, there are three micromesh card slots, I keep a travel card, my work badge and a credit card in these slots, and there is a retention strap which means they won't fall out (the slots are tight anyway, I think it'd be fine without the strap).

[​IMG]IMG_20170708_143255749_HDR by , on Flickr

There is also an elastic loop which can hold a pen, a small torch or a spare AA battery. I normally keep a torch in there so it is easy to locate in confusion of tense situations. But a pen fits well.

[​IMG]IMG_20170708_143309249 by , on Flickr

There's an metal D ring which comes with a length of 551 cord attached to it so you can hang it round your neck.

The front of the card holder (with the window) is attached to the rear by velcro, meaning you can detach it and attach it to the female velcro area on your pack or vest (I've never done this, but might be useful to some of you out there from a military/police perspective) it also means you can hang the other part around your neck and it is female velcro so you can attach an ID patch or badge to it.

[​IMG]IMG_20170708_143533237 by , on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_20170708_143512935_HDR by , on Flickr

But, I use it to hide a spare credit card and £10.00 just in case I misplace my main wallet You could also use it to hide a key or a small knife, or anything that would fit really.

[​IMG]IMG_20170708_143453927 by , on Flickr

Overall the fit makes it feel bomb proof, I have and will use this in a wide variety of situations and it looks smart enough that it fits in when I have to attend Parliament and display my credentials, and it's robust enough when I need to go to a riot and have my ID on show.

It's an innovative product that I love, there are a couple of improvements I feel could be made to it though. I would like to see some velcro on the inside of the ID window so that your card won't fall out (another review I have read there was some concern it could fill up with rain, this has never happened to me and I have used it in some dreadful weather). Also, the edges where the double stitching is are not covered by velcro meaning there is about half an inch around the edges where it's not stuck to one another.

I was offered four different colours black, shadow grey, coyote brown and multicam. I picked black because it fits in better with all my other gear and looks a little more professional for the kind of environments I work in.

I give it 4/5, if they could just improve those two little niggles for me then it would be prefect.

2. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I was at a ham radio deal recently and a guy there was wearing one of those but used it as a wallet. You could clearly see his driver's license with address, etc in the clear window. Of course, he'd outfitted his with a braided paracord lanyard and was wearing a cool guy hat with morale patches.

But to the point I replied about, I didn't know press passes were a real thing. I'd only ever heard of it on TV, and I was actually a police officer for many years. I know the "crime reporter" has some sort of filtered access to our in-house database with the agreement of being cut off if he ever violated our use agreement.

Cool!

Journo likes this.
  3. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

Yeah I am not sure I would want my address on display like that, but it does do well for ID that has to be frequently on show.

On the subject of press passes it seems to be more of a Europe thing, I have . UK one which is run by the UK Press Card Authority and authorised by the National Police Chiefs Council which you can only get after proving that you are a journalist and that you work outside and need the ID. Without it, access to some areas is impossible. For example it gets you into Downing Street (where the Prime Minister lives) and also it's the only ID accepted to get into courts, police/govt press conferences, it also allows you to cross police lines when they have a containment up (at a protest for example). I have a French one too, which it is impossible to work in France as a journalist without one (after three months), it gets you into museums for free...

4. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

It seems the company have changed the design of this product, I have a new one on the way so a similar review is on the way (and boy it's hard to review something that's basically an ID holder).

5. echo victor
    • +2 Supporter

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

I own one of these, used to carry my driver's license as a form of ID when I go on long weekend walks. Its much better than carrying any sort of wallet, which tends to weigh down shorts. I carry or wear it, my iPhone 7+, sunglasses and Bose ear buds. Very little weight. I like the Tigris' functionality and design.

6. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

I got one after seeing them here. Mine holds my work ID and my First Aid card.

Very handy in the college workshops as I need to have my pass on display. I wear working trousers so this sits on the hammer loop, using the Velcro. I can't wear one around my neck due obviously to the choking hazard, but can transfer to a neck hang when walking around other areas of the campus.

Very pleased indeed, thanks to the OP for posting no highlighting the product.

Journo likes this.
  7. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys, always good to get some positive feedback on my thoughts. I've just received a new ID holder from a company called Echo Niner, which I will be reviewing soon.

8. Devon Scout

Still very pleased with mine. A couple of colleagues have asked about it but bulk at the price. Myself it’s worth every penny.

Journo likes this.
  9. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

So glad you are enjoying it. We'd all love to see some photos!

10. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I have one from hazard 4 which is nice and they make a velcro backed patch to hold an ID.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Journo likes this.
  11. Devon Scout

Here we go.

I’ve replaced the cord for the First Aid Lanyard which I have to wear so I’m easily identifiable as First Aid trained and also Staff. Working in workshops the pen loop comes in handy too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

Thanks Devon Scout looking good!

Devon Scout likes this.