1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

One in the chamber

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by E.D.C, May 9, 2016.

1. E.D.C

E.D.C Loaded Pockets

So this is a question thats been rattling in my head for quite some time now, ive seen videos on youtube, i have even feared it happen to me while i have a round in the chamber, while im concealed carring my gun around the city.

The question is : if i get stopped my a cop is it legal to carry a round in the chamber, i see its no where in the constitution to how i carry a bullet in the chamber or not.

And my biggest fear is someone coming after me and my family i cant defend them on time.

Never gotten stopped with my gun on my person and its been itching in the back of my head, to when a cop stops and asksme is there a round in the chamber, i want to be armed with words also to defend my constitutional right,

I dont mind riding out/or spending a day stopped my a cop and bringging their higher ups to explain to me why i cant load a round in the chamber. But i want to have details if im right or wrong on carrying one in the chamber.

2. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

Unless you have local laws preventing it, I don't see why not. I always carry my Glock 21 with one in the tube. When I used to carry a 1911, I always carried in "Condition 1" (Cocked, locked, one in the chamber and safety on). On occasions where I needed to let a member of law enforcement take it, (like when getting a traffic citation), the gun was always returned; usually with the advice of "be careful with that, you know it's in Condition One.

3. E.D.C

E.D.C Loaded Pockets

Yes, but are there laws around the united states where it states that one cannot conceal carry with a round in the chamber?

4. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I don't know all of the laws in the US. Where I live, if you can legally carry a handgun then you can have a round in the chamber. It is not mentioned in the law at all, in fact. On those occasions that I carry, I have rounds in every chamber, either 5 or 6 depending on the model.

5. E.D.C

E.D.C Loaded Pockets

Thats what i said to my self but i keep seeing videos where cop stop people and ask do you have a round on your chamber.

6. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

There are a few, usually associated with states that most people don't recognize as a "free" state anyway. Typically it is defined in their "transportation of weapons;" firearms in a vehicle where the law will state the firearm must be unloaded, magazine separate, etc. This all is handguns I am referring to.

Where many get confused when doing just general searches or hearing information second hand is that in most states, it is unlawful to carry a round in the chamber for long guns. So this is where many confuse the two and think it applies to handguns as well. Do to various laws regarding hunting (or poaching as they were written as a deterrent) the various laws were written and interpreted as a year round without specifics to hunting season only. Thus carrying a loaded firearm defined legally as a rifle is a no go....hence why many in states that classify it this way find many of their residents often carry an AR pistol as a truck gun instead. But that is another thread all together.

Regardless on your choice to carry in a vehicle, on a person, open or concealed it is best to familiarize your self with YOUR local laws and to that of places you may travel. Do so frequently, a couple times a year, as legislature changes quickly and often times quietly for the tiniest of things that turn one from a law abiding person looking to only protect themselves, to a potential felon, all from simply by crossing an arbitrary line.

7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

You should stop viewing those insipid videos and consult with and retain the services of a competent attorney knowledgeable and experienced with the various laws in your area concerning the carrying of a firearm. Then decide if you wish to make a commitment to defending yours and your family's safety WITH a firearm. When you get past the two previous hurdles, seek a competent firearms trainer.

Based on what you expressed in this thread, you are more fearful of being caught by the authorities. They're on your side if you are lawfully carrying your firearm.

Make a decision.

Uzna, jkwithawave and Mumbojumboo like this.
  8. randylahey

randylahey Loaded Pockets

I'm assuming that you're talking about conceal carry, and not transporting a firearm, which are two different things.

There are no laws i know of that prohibit someone with a conceal carry permit from carrying with a round in the chamber. in fact, and i live in chicago, i'm fairly certain if a cop pulled you over and you told him you didn't have a round in the chamber, he would lecture you about how dangerous it is to you to NOT have your gun ready to go (provided it's not a single action with no safety).

the amount of expert opinion supporting carrying with a round in the chamber would likely make it easy to win a case if it got to it. most firearm experts insist that carrying an empty gun is as effective as carrying a brick.

chaosmagnet and E.D.C like this.
  9. Joelski

Joelski Loaded Pockets

A firearm that is capable of lethal force should have one in the pipe. Do you expect an assailant to "time out" while you rack? A chambered round isn't an unfair advantage; it's a well-planned final stage in your O-O-D-A Loop.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Loaded Pockets

What's the point of carrying an unloaded firearm...?

chaosmagnet likes this.
  11. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Ask your local sheriff's office. You Tube is not a reliable source for gun laws.

LoneArcher likes this.
  12. Trave1ingEast

Trave1ingEast Loaded Pockets

Anyone here that actually carry's can tell you that Handgunlaw.us is the site to consult for the answer your looking for handgun laws. How is it that you don't know this, have you taken an approved NRA concealed carry weapons course? If so, maybe you should get your money back.

As far as one in the chamber, that would be a yes. You need to take away every reason for a stoppage to happen before you need pull the trigger.

13. Powrstroke6.0

Powrstroke6.0 Loaded Pockets

always one in the chamber.....always, unless you're able to tell the perp to give you a second to rack your slide.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  14. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Should you decide to carry your semi-auto pistol in Condition 3 (C3); full magazine inserted, but without a round in the chamber, train in the Israeli method. Decades ago when all we had for a hi-capacity 9mm pistol was the Browning Hi-Power, that's the way I carried mine; between 1-2 o'clock, hammer-down. Whatever it is the appeals to you, OP, make the decision and commitment because without the latter, you're just carrying the gun for the novelty.

LoneArcher likes this.
  15. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Hmm...I don't recall them telling us about that site in my class, but the instructor did say very clearly that if you plan on carrying with an empty chamber you may as well get up and leave the class now because you're wasting your time.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  16. knifeknut

knifeknut Loaded Pockets

What's the point of carrying without one in the chamber? Last thing I want to have to do is rack the slide if my life is on the line....

Sly and E.D.C like this.
  17. E.D.C

E.D.C Loaded Pockets

your right me either that's why I'm asking around cause I always carry one in there anyways. lol to your profile pic that better not be you :rofl:

knifeknut likes this.
  18. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Man that's Sean Connery in the movie Zardoz lol

19. E.D.C

E.D.C Loaded Pockets

:smile_coffee: I see the resemblance haven't see the movie though.:rofl::frantic:

knifeknut likes this.
  20. Loc-Nar

Loc-Nar Loaded Pockets

Agree with the others. I always carry mine with one in the chamber. In the event you are stopped by police for any reason I would hand them your CCW permit along with your license, at which point they will immediately ask if it is on you. I would be upfront and honest and tell them where you carry and the condition the gun is in (loaded, unloaded). That way they are aware of the location and condition of the firearm. I work with many Public safety officials, officers, etc that mostly will just tell you "don't reach for yours, and I won't reach for mine."

"Cooler than a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce."

LoneArcher likes this.