1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

One hand operation non clicky edc pen wanted

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by el_murdoque, Jan 26, 2019.

1. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the heads up - looks interesting - but I'm in Europe ATM and the website tells me that the big river does not float these pens all the way there. So I tried their own website and found twentyfour ninetynine to be an attractive price for a nicely machined bolt action pen.
    The shipping does cost as much as one of the pens, though and with shipping included, the total sum will not pass customs unnoticed and I'll have to pay tax which will be around ten bucks.
    That would total at a bit more than 50 Euros (~$55 US).

I think I'll need to rent a post box in the US, have a ton of EDC gear delivered there and then come in person to collect it.

2. MOD-u-LAR

MOD-u-LAR Loaded Pockets

I don't know if you have considered the Karas Kustoms Bolt? I had always wanted a bolt but didn't want the actual bolt to stick out and get in the way of things. I figured I was screwed and would never find somethi g that met my requirements...then I found Karas. And boy am I glad. I now own two Bolts, a Galaxy and a Render K. All of them are wonderfull pens. Check them out.

echo victor likes this.
  3. el_murdoque

I would not call the Karas a bolt action pen, I'd call it a clicky pen with bolt action lock.
    My main reason for not wanting to EDC a clicky pen is because I will carry it in my jeans pocket a lot.
    A clicky pen is prone to be clicked when I bend over or sit and The Karas system will do just that.

4. MOD-u-LAR

MOD-u-LAR Loaded Pockets

It absolutly will not. The only difference between it and a 'normal' bolt action is that the bolt is flat against the body making it perfect for carrying in ones pocket.

5. el_murdoque

So it does not deploy when there is pressure on the top bit like on a clicky?

6. MOD-u-LAR

MOD-u-LAR Loaded Pockets

You need to push down and twist to deploy. It takes a minutemor two to learn the motion needed but once you do it is easy enough. It will pop out for a second if you push on it but it is a long push to get the point deployed, not like a clicky pen. Hope that helps.

7. trojansteel

trojansteel Loaded Pockets

Plenty of cool bolt action available:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

keycutter, Nick4305 and echo victor like this.
  8. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

trojansteel,

nice photos! I like that teal-ish handkerchief, but couldn't positively make out the maker. Can you tell me?

thanks!

9. el_murdoque

What is this beauty called?
    I'm interested in both the knife and the pen!

10. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Have you checked out the options from Retro 51? http://retro51.com Lots of cool finishes. They are twist mechanisms, but the mechanism is large enough and knurled that one handed operation is easy for me. Diameter is similar to the bone you liked, and will be lighter than many other options.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I learned to "one-hand" mine, but I would not go as far as saying it would be "easy" for many. My wife can't do it at all (weak hands & arthritis). Bolt Action is the better one-handed option for most, I think.

12. el_murdoque

Showing off one's stuff in a gear-forum in a thread that's about buying recommendations is cool.
    Doing so without specifying what it is that one is showing off is mildly annoying.
    Not answering questions for more than a week despite being online on the forum is, at least in my circles, considered something I dare not spell out here, for there might be children present.

This means your contribution was less than useful.
    Congrats on that - those are not easy!

13. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

First one above appears to be a "no longer produced" Maxmadco pen.
    I have no idea what the other two are.

14. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

The second one's a TiScribe-Bolt from Kelvin Verrett's Urban Survival Gear.

And maybe the third's a variation of Brian Fellhoelter's TiBolt? Just a guess; not familiar with all that's been created...

:cool:

Bad Company likes this.
  15. el_murdoque

Nah, I don't think so. The Fellhoelter has a different clip. The one in the picture, although not completely shown, looks like more of a deep carry clip that attaches to the cap of the pen, while all the Fellhoelter's I've seen so far had the clip attached lower on the barrel with two screws.

...but to finally find some closure on such an old topic:
    I recently finished off another decade. Due to lockdown, there was no party. Right around that time, the Wanger Döring pen I mentioned in the first post became available in their webshop again. I figured that YOLO and with all that, I might as well go for the pen that caught my eye in the first place, so I ordered one. I'm not sold on this one yet, because of the price, but that might evaporate when I try it out.

Moshe ben David and echo victor like this.
  16. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Good eye - missed that detail. Found a thread elsewhere with writing instruments which look similar, and the one shown could just be one with some more machining texture to it, or maybe one which isn't available anymore - have ya heard of Marks Innovative Gear? Anyway, that company puts out some with deep carry pocket clips like the one in the pic.
    So, whatcha think of the Wanger Döring offering?

Also, did anyone ever bring up the Microtech Siphon II? I just window-shop those, yet seems kinda handy. I think Titaner makes a knock-off of it, fwiw.

17. el_murdoque

I don't like to rush these things and give my opinion a little time to grow.
    But let me tell you this:
    I ordered the pen in titanium. It measures only 9cm, but you can add screw-in pieces that blend in seamlessly. I ordered one of them.
    When it arrived, it was every bit like you'd expect when you order an overpriced custom product. Nice noble packaging, some candy and all.
    The pen itself was in a carboard box. wrapped in a microfiber cloth, along with a leather sheath and a refill.
    I reverently lifted it from the box and held it up to the light. And what can I say, my critical eye caught the slightest difference in either the grain or the color, the barrel of the pen and the screw in elongation were not identical. You could basically only see that in the right angle and in daylight, but nonetheless, I just spent a fortune on a pen and I felt I bought the right to be as critical as I desired.
    So I inquired as politely as I managed whether this was to be expected. They apologized and told me this should never have left their shop. They immediately sent out a replacement, along with a return label. The next one arrived and this one was immaculate. And of course it came with more candy.
    So the Wanger customer support gets five stars and two thumbs up from my side.
    I will go on about the pen when I've had some more hands on experience.

Interestingly, this was not mentioned here. I know that one, though. It's a bit overdone in my opinion.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  18. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Just a follow-up - got one from MIG, and it looks to be the same sort of design, fyi.