1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

One hand operation non clicky edc pen wanted

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by el_murdoque, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

thanks for that update!

2. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

And Adam's Field Pen Twist is now up at ks; it uses Parker-compatible International G2 refills... j.mp/MECFieldPenTwist_ks

Just fyi...

:cool:

3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Just got an e-mail from them and a link to it...disappointing to me. I would've preferred a Parker refill version of their Field Pen. The twist looks, for lack of a better term, "cheap". Using a clip-on clip (sounds redundant, I know), reeks of cheap pen. As I've mentioned before, part of my EDC rotation is one of their compact pens, which is both functional & aesthetically pleasing. The twist just misses the mark..for me.

4. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

@Tesla - it of course does come down to what folks' preferences are in terms of what they like and what they think, yet, like any of the MEC products, this Twist is well-thought-out and a well-designed writing instrument. Definitely subjective on the aesthetics. I see a writing instrument which incorporates a bunch of design details which were deliberately chosen to help the form be functional and also happens to look good as well. :)

Dunno what all was involved in the whole concept-to-implementation process to create what you see, however, I figure that they created the best writing instrument they could with the constraints they worked with or had self-imposed. Probably an iterative process with a few prototypes to optimize the design while managing possibly conflicting conditions (like costs, manufacturing processes, dimensions...).

I mean, with the internal twist mechanism, they probably couldn't affix a similarly-machined clip in the style of the other Field Pens, so if that option's not feasible, then they probably chose the best clip which worked. Cool that they used a U.S. manufacturer for the clip; that probably helps in managing the project when it comes to quick and effective communication and feedback.

Anyway, like ya said, for you, it may miss the mark, and, when I first mentioned the prototype, directing it to the OP, I said it depends on if it's down their alley (or is it, up their alley? Whoops), so it does depend on one's preferences. Yet despite what one thinks, it's definitely not a pen which is "phoned-in" or cheaply made at all.

5. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

@oke based on their other pens, I don't think it is cheap or cheaply made, but I would not expect a pen that's a custom pen to have a clip that attaches in that manner. Since other twist mechanisms don't do so, I'm pretty sure it is not the constraints of the design. As stated, though I do think it "looks" cheap. I may be in the minority..they seem to have met their funding goal handily. As illustrated, though, it lacks the panache of the much cheaper Retro 51. I will admit, I'm already spoiled by other pens...;)

6. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Regarding the Tornados - although the general design is pretty smart (with tons of variety for materials and barrel designs), one feature that could be better if they could improve it is the clip.

Back when I wanted to use a Tornado regularly (it was a chrome one from a Valentine's set from around '10, iirc, where the other one was red, and the tops were magnetic so little round messages could be put on them), I lent it out once to a co-worker. And I got it back with the clip tweaked. Apparently, the person liked fiddling with the springy clip by lifting it up (away from the pen barrel) a few times (maybe one or two too many), and then it finally deformed and was creased back and away from the barrel and wasn't very usable (it didn't grip onto the cloth material of a pocket anymore). Near the top of the clip where the punched-out area starts is where there's less material and where it was bent outward. There wasn't a way to bend the clip back past where it used to be (or bend it further once it hits the barrel) so it could spring back to its original position. So one day (a few years later) I finally emailed Retro51 for advice on how to get the clip back into shape ('cuz it bugged me that an almost perfectly good pen wasn't being utilized because of a design flaw), and this was their reply (~6 years ago):
    At least with the Fisher bullet and Millennium space pens, and even Big Idea Designs' clips, you can remove them to re-bend them.

And it could be, that if this Twist pen's clip happens to get bent out of whack, then once you remove it, you can repair it as well. Though it seems like the spring steel of the Field Pen Twist is thicker and more resistant to getting bent than the Retro51 Tornado's.

So, what's fun is what you can read in the comments of this ig post. The plan is that the Field Pen twist button and clip are going to be modular components, so you can swap 'em out for different colors. That reminds me of the lamy accent series, where one can get different grip materials and colorways to customize it the way ya want.

Anyway, after all of that, I do concur, a person may already have other faves out there, and ain't nothin' wrong with that. :)

7. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

You're right that modularity appeals to many...and full disclosure, my Rotring Rapid Pro does have a detachable clip. That said, I don't actually carry it (due to its length it does not fit well in most pockets). In general, though, the Lego look does not appeal to me. If Machine Era makes a Parker compatible Field Pen in the future, I'll be Johnny on the spot. In defense of the Retro 51, I'd have to say that the clip on mine is very sturdy and I have no real concerns about it bending under anything approaching normal use. The person you lent it to had to have been very abusive to the clip to get that to happen. What I really liked was that Retro 51 was prepared to fix it. In this world of disposable technology, that was refreshing. I don't know what the new Twist pen is going to ultimately sell for, but I see some of its design as cost-saving moves more than design feature. Most of us here on EDC Forum are outliers, anyway, so I'll just say, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." :giggle:

Moshe ben David likes this.
  8. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Oh yeah - the first "splurge" writing instrument I treated myself to way back when was a black rotring 600 triopen at the college bookstore (57 bills back then!) had the same style clip. Solid!
    Cool that ya elaborate and explain yourself well so folks can understand your pov; thanks!
    Yeah, was ticked that it was returned damaged, and didn't feel it was the best time/place to tell the person to return borrowed stuff as he found it after he gave a quick apology.

Anyway, I concur; their customer service is great! I did finally decide I wanted a usable clip, so I sent it back. Aside - the glued ferrous disc on the top of the Tornado also came loose and was lost, so while on a roll in the email, I mentioned that minor detail. They replied that they could also replace the top, and what's more, they had one last intact batch of the magnet messages for the Valentine's set, and sent that along as well, even though we didn't need it. So yep, they treat customers well, even years after the purhase!

Below: The set of messages they sent - which usually occupies space on the fridge, unused (since we still have the other set)...
    [​IMG]
    It's all good - sharing different points of view and the rationale behind it, based on different experiences, helps make a better/richer community than if everyone were always in agreement, imo.

Moshe ben David and Tesla like this.
  9. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Just an update to say that I got my Field Pen Twist (from Adam Hogsett's Machine Era Co.), and it's really well-made! & @RMinNJ's comments about it are there.