1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

One hand operation non clicky edc pen wanted

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by el_murdoque, Jan 26, 2019.

1. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

I am looking for another pen and it seems that I have special requirements.

This pen will be carried in my jeans pocket, so a good metal clip is mandatory.
    The jeans carry eliminates clicky pens, I tend to click them by accident.
    It also means that a little bit shorter than standard is better.
    I do need it multiple times a day to jot down short notices and put it away again.
    This means that I want it to switch from carry mode to writing mode one handed and fast.
    That's about all there is to it.

Recent pen history:
    -Fisher Bullet: Clip too weak, I lost it. I also did not like the opening/closing by rotating the cap.
    -Boker KID cal .50: I loved that pen. The size was perfect. Writing was a joyous experience. The firm bolt action was not only cool, but also a nice fidget toy. The only downside was that the threads for the clip are not deep enough. The screws broke free about four weeks in, I returned it and was refunded.
    -TI Pocket Pro: The pen I use at present. It has serious wear issues caused by me. I carried it next to my knife, which was fine until I started using a knife with sharp edges on the back spine, which caused the pen to gather a few battle scars until I noticed. I bent the clip by accident and had to bend it back, which did not come 100% into the old shape, but at least a working one, which caused further scars. Now I fear that I've significantly reduced this pen's life expectancy and would like to get something else for rotation / backup.

If money was not an issue, I'd simply cough up 140 bucks and order a Wanger/Doering titanium like this:
    [​IMG]
    Which is in my humble eyes one of the most beautiful writing implements ever created and looks like I will last for a lifetime.
    I already felt like financially overdoing it on the TI pocket pro, though.

So, any suggestions for a twist-to-open or bolt action or whatnot pen with a sturdy clip in the lower price brackets are more than welcome.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  2. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I know you said "not clicky", but take a look at the Machine Era compact pen. Due to the way the clip is implemented (it's attached to the clicker button itself), it cannot be accidentally clicked while carrying. It meets your criteria for a shorter pen & takes D1 refills, which gives you quite a choice of ink. The clip is sturdy. There are also lots of options for short twisties that are quite a bit cheaper. The Machine Era is a "lifetime" pen (or at least one you'll use until you lose it)...it won't break easily or wear out.

chaosmagnet and el_murdoque like this.
  3. CJinPa
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CJinPa Loaded Pockets

I have been carrying and daily using an Urban Survival TiScribe-Bolt pen for about eight months now. I wear carpenter style jeans and carry it in the right leg pocket. It has held up fine so far. I have the titanium version and want to get one in copper. Its not in the lower price bracket, but its not $140 like the Wanger / Doering pen you have pictured.

4. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Not sure what a lower price point would be acceptable, yet I'd concur that Kelvin's USG TiScribe-Bolts and Adam's Machine Era/Makerset offerings are almost the perfect picks for ya. The TiScribe-Bolts are available in a few materials, so the prices vary and may be in your range (yet maybe longer than desired), and the various ME Field Pens are definitely sturdy and shorter like ya want.

Might reply again when I think of other suitable options as well. :)

:cool:

5. flnder

flnder Loaded Pockets

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I may be the only one to suggest this, but look at the Retro 51 Tornado line. They're not considered 'compact' perhaps, but really not much longer if at all than many of the knives many of us carry clipped to our pocket. Instead of a 'clicky' button, there is a knurled knob that is turned.

I have quite a few; sometimes carried in a breast pocket; sometimes clipped to pants pocket (either slacks or jeans). If clipped along the outer seam (which is how I do) absolutely never have been 'stabbed'. I routinely will extend the ball point just by holding the pen with one hand and turning the knob. Retract the same way. Smooth as silk!

Refills are your basic 'Parker' style; which by the way means if you so desire you could also refill with a Fisher refill...

Wide assortment of finishes, colors, etc. Pens widely available from all sorts of on-line (including of course Amazon) as well as B&M sellers! Many of the pens in the $45 or so price range.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

The Zebra telescopic pens?

8. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Plus they take the Schmidt P8126 or 8127 rollerball refills, which was the deal-clincher when I got mine. I will say, though, that they are too long to carry in a jean pocket. When you sit down, they tend to be pushed up out of the pocket and the clip disengaged. This would be less of a problem with Dockers or dress pants.

9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Probably does depend on the individual and the jeans/pants. I'm not just tall; sorta a 'big' guy ;)! My jeans just come with deep pockets -- and when I clip a knife or a pen inside the pocket along the pocket outer seam, nothing gets pushed out. Hell, there had to be SOME advantage to the waist sizes I wear! ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

twin63 and Tesla like this.
  10. mr.pinpoint

mr.pinpoint Empty Pockets

Tactile Turn Slider. Has a shorter than average profile, solid clip, bolt action for easy one-handed deployment, and takes a variety of refills. The TT website states that the slider is for Parker refills, but will also accept Pilot G2 sized refills if you shorten them to Parker length.

Great pen, titanium body is around 80 dollars and has a great weight (not too light or heavy).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaosmagnet likes this.
  11. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

TT Slider IS a great pen..possibly my favorite that I own...takes the Schmidt 8126 & 8127 refills, also (capless rollerball). It, however is still too long to carry in jeans pockets. If you're looking for pants (specifically jeans) carry, I'd recommend a pen that uses or can be made to use D1 refills, as they can be made into a short enough pen to carry in front pocket of jeans and there are multiple types of ink available in D1. If you need an adapter for some other brands of pens to use a D1, check out Tofty's https://www.shapeways.com/shops/toftylight No affiliation but I own one of their adapters that I'm currently using in a Zebra 301C pen, that converts it to use Uni SXR-80 Jetstream refills...a great writing refill. It's usually weekend EDC for me...weekdays are Machine Era compact...and occasionally an x-750 Fisher Space Pen in chrome.

12. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

So, I don't really "do" the social media thing; mostly just lrk and see what some folks are up to. Yet I did make some shortened urls to get back to Urban Survival Gear's - http://j.mp/USG_ig - and Machine Era Co.'s ig accts (http://j.mp/MEC_ig), just to see what they might be planning, and, for what could be a relatively-compact writing instrument (just a guess - maybe w/ either the Field Pen or Field Pen compact form factor?), there's this sneak peek of a new twist-action from Adam: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtEH1gyhg7r/ (or the image directly is there)

Prototyping Friday. What are your favorite Parker size refills? We’re looking for feedback. Super pumped about this new design. Twist mechanics.

The glimpse of the prototype looks to have a new grip pattern. So, if there'll be a final production version, it may look different, yet it sounds like the new twist action's gonna be implemented sometime soon!

Anyway, maybe an option if one can manage the twist-action with one hand (and, if it becomes a reality AND is down your alley - so, just a few ifs, lol)?

13. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I own the compact...not enamored of the grip pattern on the Machine Era prototype. Will @ Tactile Turn does a much better job with the grooved texture thing...shame he doesn't make a compact pen, though. A short bolt action that uses the mini capless Schmidt rollerball would pry money out of my wallet.

14. Sachsen

Sachsen Loaded Pockets

15. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

It's not for me. Too light & bad ergonomics. I already own a Machine Era Compact which fulfills my needs for that size pen. The one thing I find intriguing is the use of a Parker style refill in a pen that size. If Tactile Turn would make one similar in stainless, I'd probably be in

16. Sachsen

Sachsen Loaded Pockets

I agree on the ergonomics. Lightness wouldn't bother me. I too am looking for a short pen which takes the Parker refills, and I was thinking bolt action would be better for a pocket pen than a clicky, to avoid accidental deployment.

This one is also light, but the ergonomics look better...

https://www.amazon.com/Cool-Hand-Carbon-Compact-Skeleton/dp/B0748FTY2X/ref=pd_ybh_a_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=MTX8B1XR0T26MV4V2GAQ

17. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I know you said no clicky, but I had a stainless parker jotter for a while and liked it and never had problems with the click.. and.. surprise.. it takes parker refills.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  18. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

I'd be all over the Machine Era pen, but the tip does look like it will not provide enough friction for me to write with comfort.
    I tend to slip off smooth surfaces that have a curve like this. I quite like my Ti Pocket Pro for that reason.
    The Cool Hand bolt action pen looks quite nice and is very affordable - I'll have to see if it's possible to get it in the EU.

19. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I wondered about that myself, before finally buying it, but it has not been an issue, unlike the slimmer stainless Jotters. The Machine Era has a fatter grip area, providing enough grip to write...for me, anyway...

20. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Back in October of '14, there was a seller at that one auction site named "sweatdealing" who was selling that model of MTAP, and I asked a bunch of questions to learn more (& this be an excerpt of the convo):

I was curious since it seemed to be a variation of the Böker Plus offering, and thought it was like how edcgear often makes cheaper variations of popular writing instruments overseas. Yet now knowing that cool hand sells it, it makes sense (there are a few sellers of both edcgear and cool hand items). Well, that seller disappeared by the end of the year, iirc, and then, almost 2 years later (earlier in Oct of '16), one named "ez-grips" was selling them, and they seem to be a cool hand dealer, so it's now all so clear, lol.

Anyway, I hadn't had issues with the clip of the Böker Plus Tactical Pen K.I.D. CAL .50 coming off from shallow fasteners, and housing the "full-size" (as opposed to the shorter Fisher SPR4 refills w/o the adapter) Parker-compatible International G2 refills in such a short writing instrument was a pretty cool design detail. @Tesla, except for maybe its weight and ergonomics (well, those are important features, but still...), you might like that Böker Plus option if you haven't used one before. There's also a Ti variant, if that helps, for a heavier version, yet it is at a much higher price point (~3x the price). Just fyi...

Sachsen likes this.