1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Once I used Chinese Counterfeit Clones, and it broke.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by JED1985, May 17, 2018.

1. JED1985

JED1985 Loaded Pockets

2. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

I can see why someone with limited $$$ would buy a fake Strider. But a fake S&W? The real thing is basically a Chinese flea market knife.

3. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

All of those knives are basically crappy knives.
    I own some clones as well but they didn't cost next to nothing and I didn't buy it in an uninformed way.
    I'm satisfied until today even though I prefer the ones without logos.

Anyways, you get what you pay for and as good as you inform yourself.
    Just as always in life.

4. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

That Strider is not even a clone of anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just skimming real quick, I get the impression that the guy doesn't know much about knives. That's fine, but when someone says something like "the blades aren't as sharp" when they really mean "the steel isn't as high quality" or "joint" instead of "pivot", I'll be more likely than not to take what they say with a pinch of salt.

That said, I own a Strider clone, one of the middle of the road $50 titanium and D2 models. It's not a bad knife for $50. Great? By no means, but it's decent. The pricier ones are better, I've heard. The reason why I had a good experience with mine is because I paid a little bit of money to get a decently made clone. He got the cheapest, junkiest, poorest copies coming out of the counterfeit mills. That is why he had a bad experience.

Moose and Locked-Out like this.
  6. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

For $50 I had gotten 100% genuine Kershaw made in the USA.

garza, Locked-Out and Moshe ben David like this.
  7. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

my first benchmade was a stryker clone from deal extreme, had the pivot screw head strip out so i Emerson modded it to slotted with a dremel. eventually the threads also gave out and then finally the thumb disk stripped out too, still had some lockup. I ended up trading a homeless guy for his zippo.

8. Locked-Out

Locked-Out Loaded Pockets

I totally disagree. Some makers in China really know what they are doing and have some own brands like Sun or CH. if you want a decent OTF Andy knifes get better reports than benchmade and microtech although potentially more expensive.

Yes there is :censored: and yes you Stand a chance of being deceived...only if you can’t be bothered to find a good seller with decent feedback. I’m sure you guys could spot quality just from looking at the pics anyway.

The last knife I got from China came with cts-xhp steel blade. T4 titanium and gen carbon fibre handle. It’s built like a tank and feels it. But with these materials it was still circa 100 dollars so you still have to be prepared to shell out a we bit.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And the stitch...sorry. If I lived in the US I would probably take advantage of all the lovely well made and allowed to be EDC’d weaponry but reality is I just cant some of these in the uk.

[​IMG][​IMG]

And the butterfly...and the OTF....sorry Benchmade.

So if you want to know where to shop, shoot me or send me illegal weapons from the US give me a shout.

garza, thatotherguy, Moose and 2 others like this.
  9. Locked-Out

Please post me an auto kershaw I love those knives

Adam Ng likes this.
  10. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

Kershaw Launch autos start at $80-$100 USD. Good price from my frequently used Kershawguy. Assisted opening is the term they used to get around the law here start at $50. Their low cost Chinese made lines start at $30. Quality control and customer service is very good.

Locked-Out likes this.
  11. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

My experience with clones (I've had about 4 over the years IIRC) is generally negative. However, I picked up a ZT0801 clone (back when I couldn't bring myself to pay $100+ for a good knife) and was blown away. Fit, finish and function were as good as the 4 real ZTs I own. It seems like I paid less than $25 for it. Maybe I got lucky. The others I bought? Absolute garbage.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  12. balder77

balder77 Uber Prepared

My only experience with a clone knife, was getting myself a fake praetorian, but this was only to be sure not to spend 500 Euro to a knife which I
    would not like to carry, because it was too big. It just was a chance to get impressions of the in hand feeling.
    Today I have my own Praetorian guard made in the U.S.A
    Getting a first impression of such an expensive knife, which I had to save up my hard earned money for ( family first! ), for me was the only legal reason, to buy a clone...

13. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I understand your rationale. But how did that make it legal? Or was the clone one that had the look and feel but avoided literally copying trademarks etc.?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Adahn likes this.
  14. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I think he more feels towards it like with digital media like in the times when it was (or still is) legal to own a copied CD as long as you owned the original...

TDS likes this.
  15. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

The other thing is, most of us are not metalurgists. Sellers can say the blade is made of anything, including high grade steel. Who among us would really know the difference?

16. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Which is why I singled out blatant use of registered trademarks, copyrights, trade names, etc etc as what I would consider an illegal/pirated copy of something. Note that this can sometimes include duplicating fonts, position on the object of the name, etc. One of the most blatant -- and disappointing -- examples of this was when the Chinese pen company 'Hero' cloned off the Lamy Safari fountain pen. Absolute total twin to Lamy's product.

The worst, to me, was that where Lamy (naturally) had their name - Lamy - molded into the plastic of the barrel, Hero did the same with their name - Hero - PLUS used the identical font etc. If they had at least used a font that was not identical it would not have been able to be called out as quite a blatant example of piracy. Depending of course on the extent to which Lamy had also taken action to protect the design, etc.

The disappointing thing is that in actuality, as a pen maker, Hero turns out some very nice product. Their history goes back, IIRC, to early days in China when Parker LICENSED designs out to some Chinese makers for the Chinese market. So Hero has the technical and manufacturing chops. Just taking the lazy and easy way out on marketing -- and extending that to international! Hopefully Hero will mature to stand on their own as some of the Chinese knife makers are now doing (e.g., WE, Kizer, Reate, to name a few!)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

17. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I understand the crying about clones, copies, etc, but I don't really care.

Most people are aware that products from Japan after WW2 had the same "problem", later it was Korea, same with Taiwan, China, Vietnam, whatever.

Guess what, I have a book about "special knives" (Spezialmesser, Haedeke) with prints from a seller's catalogue from 1850.
    It contains cutlery made in Solingen, Germany with many knives made ones from other makers epecially from Sheffield, England. They were even proudly claimuing to use the original logos containing the Sheffield print.

Germany was in the same position back then as Japan was 70 years ago, Korea 50 years ago, China till today to some extent.

Cry about it, try to fight with IP law (which i don't really believe in), things will change by itself.
    China is becoming much stronger with developing and marketing new products, especially with digitalization, soon they will cry when others copy them.

Still if you plan on buying a clone or a knife with no real known manufacturer (like TwoSun or CH knife) then get informed and read other buyer's opinions, including reviews.

Moose likes this.
  18. balder77

balder77 Uber Prepared

Good day Moshe ben David !
    Sorry for the misunderstanding, just for my own ethical definition , not in the sense of juristic terms.
    It was a real Knock-off with trademarks...
    I do not think, that there are, in respect for the art and craftsmanship of the maker, any legal reasons for clones!
    Have a nice day!
    Regards,
    Chris

19. Locked-Out

I really like Rider on Storm’s Launch
    [​IMG]

Adam Ng likes this.