1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Once again, looking for something specific. . .

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by el_murdoque, Sep 8, 2019.

1. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

... which is, in this case, something powerful yet compact.

Here are the must have specs:

Form Factor: Something that fits into a coat pocket.

Power: Either 18650 powered or CR123 powered. (I happen to own a couple of these)

Output:
    I EDC an Olight S1RII that is capable of very short bursts of 1000 Lumen. When taking a bigger light, I'd like to outperform that, so slightly above 1k Lumen for a longish period of time is what I'm looking for.
    The beam should be a well matched mix of flood and throw with a hotspot that can cover some distance, but enough spill so that my entire yard is illuminated. I would like to be able to spot a deer at a thousand feet.

UI/Buttons/etc. :
    It has to make sense and be logical. I always thought that I'll only use tailswitches with momentary function.
    Then I used a light without momentary and got used to it quite quickly. Then I switched to Olight and suddenly could live with a side button - the advantages of tailstand and magnetic tailcap just made it worth switching my habit of switching from the rear to switching from the side.
    The modes Lo-Mid-Hi are enough. The Olight version with 5 modes where three are kind of hidden is great.
    A light that has no mode memory and will always cycle through strobe and sos is unbearable.

What else:
    Waterproof, please.
    USB charging within the lamp would be nice but not mandatory.

Reliability and Durability are somewhat of an issue as well. I want to use that one as my #1 flashlight.
    I really use my stuff and will most likely drop it occasionally, sometimes in the mud.
    I've had a Dereelight DVB thrower not come back to life after I dropped it in the snow in an unfamilar forest about a mile from my car and had to navigate back using my mobile phone (I did not edc a potent pocketlight back then).

TL;DR:
    Recommend me something that runs on 18650s or cr123s. I will repeatedly drop this 9 feet into a muddy puddle, pick it up and spot deer on the other side of the field, approx. 1000ft away --- and the light will take such high demands coupled with abusive behaviour with steeze.

2. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

Armytek Predator Pro with the XHP35 HI is my first thought.

3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Any Zebralight that seems right for you will do the job!

I have carried one for 8 years or so and never had a single issue and am also pretty tough on mine I think.
    These days it is an SC64W which can be setup in ways unlike any other light that I know about and it is a pretty perfect EDC for me.
    I also carry a BLF F3W or Emisar D4V2 as backup and so far they have both been perfect as well but my experience with those is a lot more limited too so far.

Yo will not find a smaller 18650 choice than any of these 3 and trust me I have tried!

BigGreenTick likes this.
  4. BigGreenTick

I was originally thinking of recommending the SC600 Mk IV Hi. It was the focus on throw over size (coat pocket carry) that led me to instead throw out the Armytek.

el_murdoque likes this.
  5. jimmymke

jimmymke Empty Pockets

This is the something special the BLF developed, the FW3A. I have one. Up to 2800 lumen, infinitely programmable, most compact body ever. Give it a look: http://www.lumintop.com/fw3a.html

Here's the amazon page to purchase:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=fw3a&me=APBANPW02FVGU&ref=nb_sb_noss

I don't know much about lighting tech, I'm just a lifelong flashaholic who won't need to buy another light for quite sometime since getting this. I'm a lurker, not a poster, but I felt strongly enough to post about this light. FWIW

Jimmy

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  6. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

The Fw3a is awesome. Also look at the Emisar D4v2. Same features, but sideswitch, even more output and optional magnet in the tail.

But for a light that can do 1000 lumen for an hour, you need more thermal mass. Look at the Sofirn C8F, Emisar D4S or the Sofirn BLF Sp36 with Anduril. Or maybe the Thrunite Catapult v6 if you want throw.

Last edited by flux, Sep 9, 2019
    #6 flux, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  7. el_murdoque

It is hard to find anything about Zebralight in my neck of the woods.
    Could someone enlighten me on the differences between the SC600 and the SC64 ?
    From the pics it looks like the 600 has a larger head which, one might assume, results in a better throw?

I have not heard anything even approaching a complaint about Zebralight, though. Everyone using them seems to be happy because they seem to be outstanding, well made flashlights that can take a beating.

8. el_murdoque

Thank you for that. The rather attractive price has me very interested, and there is someone selling this one locally where a trade might be arranged.
    I think I'll give that one a try, even though for some unspecified reason I like single LED lights more.

9. BigGreenTick

The SC600 is physically larger with more mass. It will throw a tiny bit more & will also be able to maintain higher output for slightly longer.

The smaller SC64 is more attractive as an EDC light due to it's smaller size.

With anything there is always going to be a few lemons. There are people who have had failures with Zebralights but they are the exception.

10. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

The Fenix E30R appears to meet you specifications.

11. el_murdoque

I just wanted to let you know that the trade thing was successful and I've ended up with a FW3A (even a modded one with a glowing gasket).
    Now that is indeed an interesting light. It is very bright for that ridiculous size. The UI is skillfully done with a simple to grasp mode and a bazillion other modes hidden behind that, all done with a single button. I like it a lot. Might still get a Zebralight, but I will find a use for the Lumintop.

Captainkirk likes this.
  12. Captainkirk

Captainkirk Loaded Pockets

I never thought I wanted or needed an 18650 light until this one came along. I am really enjoying my FW3A, it does make a lot of light. ;o)

13. BigGreenTick

You might like the Emisar D4 as well. The 2nd gen version is available now. Aux LEDs for the giggles.

14. el_murdoque

After a bit of field testing, I feel the need of providing some feedback on the FW3A.

Here's what I liked when I took it out of the box:
    -The size was even smaller than anticipated. I just need to get my head around the fact that my hands are large. When I see people in videos hold something it looks bigger than when I do. It is possible to get a firm grip on it, though. It can easily be carried in a coat pocket - you can even put it into a jeans pocket.
    -The modes are cleverly done. There are so many options. Candle light simulation. Thunderstorm. Strobes with no end. Yet, the default option gives you on / ramp up / ramp down / off and a doubleclick activates the turbo - so it's easy to use and if you're into it, you can go deeper.
    -It looks properly made. No grave errors in the machining process or cutting of cheap corners are obvious to the layman's naked eye.

Here's why this won't become my favorite flashlight:
    -The button is too exposed and too easily clicked to carry this light without using the lockout and that's to complicated to engage/disengage for me.
    Yeah, it's supposed to be 4 fast clicks and that's it. Somehow, I always need at least two tries to get it activated and then at least three to get the light back on.
    -The hotspot is non-existent and there is no throw. I guess that with three LEDs you will always have a bit of a mushy area around the hotspot where one of the LED's is centered but the other two are not, but this light does not produce enough throw. I can turn the night to brightest day within a 100ft radius, but when I point it into the distance, the distance remains in darkness while the spill illuminates objects close to me so brightly that my night vision is gone and I can't see a thing beyond that small radius.

15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

You can use different optics on this light to get different beam profiles entirely or at least this is what I have read.
    I don't care for mine and I am happy with it for my use which is mainly right on front of me in the end.

I also lock mine out but never with the 4 click electronic version but instead I merely unscrew the front slightly and it is quick to re engage when I need light.

Having said this though I do not see my ZL SC64w leaving the number 1 spot in my pockets for this light anyway as the ZL interface is just dandy to me and the light never really turns on in my pocket either.

I do really like the FW3A for sure but not more than the ZL and maybe not more than even more feature crazy D4SV2.

I feel lucky to own them all,we have good things to pick from these days!

ccwaters likes this.
  16. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

Yep, 10507 Carclo Lens - 3-UP Narrow Spot Optic
    The carlco optic is direct replacement, however if you have an early release FW3 it may have the Lumintop cheaped out optic which is fairly crappy, easy enough to tell it has no glass lens, the plastic lens is integral with the optic! It is a fairly noticeable downgrade from the Carlco optic/ AR coated lens. If it has the cheapy plastic lens you will also need a 23 x 1.5mm replacement glass or saphire lens. The Carlco optic is inexpensive under $2.00 at mountain. If you need the lens as well they are a little more difficult to source but can be had for $5.00 for a saphire lens from Neals.

As for the switch some reports of mushy light click or no click switches are not uncommon. The unlucky ones who received the mushy switches see to solve the problem by working on the size of the nub inside the switch assembly or by replacing the switch with a better quality tactile.

I've been lucky with my three, well sort of.... The switches were all good, firm positive actions. My aluminum fw3 came with the cheapy plastic optic/lens which I've replaced with the Carlco 10507 narrow optic and a saphire lens, much better!

It is never going to be a super thrower, but its not bad with the 507 optic. But if I want/need a true thrower I'll grab one. A great little pocket thrower is the Lumintop/BLF GT mini, Amazing thrower, and considering how small it is even more so!