1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Once again, a small, onehand slipjoint...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by el_murdoque, Dec 6, 2018.

1. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

-------------TL;DR:-------------------------------
    Suggest a small, light, one handed slipjoint for EDC that has a deep carry pocket clip.
    ------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

the three knives in my EDC Rotation have been:

Spyderco Urban (modded scales):
    I like that one. The size and weight when it's closed in my pocket is just right.
    The only downside is that it's just a wee bit too small when I'm holding it and when I close it one handed,
    the index finger nearly touches the blade when i reach the half way stop.

Byrd Tern:
    That is, from an ergonomic viewpoint, the perfect knife for my hand size. Size and weight are perfect,
    and I don't have the problem with the index finger because the lower jimping on the blade protects my finger and helps me guide the blade while closing it. The downside on this one is the poor steel for the blade. I felt like I spent more time sharpening that thing than I used it for cutting. I've recently spent some time backpacking and after a flight where I placed the knife in the top pocket of my checked luggage, someone from airport security liked it so much that he or she got confused about how property works and kept it.

Boker Nano 42:
    Fun little knife. Just a bit too chubby and a bit too heavy to keep in the pocket, and the blade is not much use when you need to pierce something. Because of the small size, opening and closing is a bit clumsy, especially when some pocket fluff gets into the mechanism and it's not running perfectly, which is always.

So what am I looking for?

Mandatory:
    -A one handed opening, non locking folder (legal issues)
    -A weight of max 2,5oz
    -A size that will fit into a front pocket of a jeans.

Nice to have:
    -A clip that allows for right hand tip up deep carry without half of the knife hanging out of the pocket (I don't want people to see that it's a knife)
    -A non-threatening workplace safe, non tactical, elegant knife.
    -G10 Scales

What I'm looking at at the moment:

Three Rivers Atlas:
    This one checks all the boxes, but it seems the one handed opening is not as easy as it could be

Spyderco UKPK (drop point):
    I'm not a big fan of the FRN scales - that's why I had my Urban modded. I don't know about the ergonomic features, but it seems that the UKPK is closer to the Byrd Tern than to the Urban in that regard.

Spartan Blades Nymph:
    I think it is a bit too small, the one hand operation is a bit too hard and it's a touch more than I'd like to spend on a knife. But I really like that mechanism.

Ideas, suggestions?

2. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Sanrenmu 6040 (lockback)
    Sanrenmu 4112 (slipjoint)

3. el_murdoque

The 6040 is not a slipjoint
    and the 4112 does not open one handed.

4. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I have recently bought a Black Fox Bean Gen 2, I think it might fit all your criteria apart from the pocket clip (depends how deep you want to carry it).

I also have a Boker Plus Wasabi Carbon Fibre, which is great and very easy to OHO, sits deep in the pocket. I am not sure if you would think it too tactical, I certainly feel it's elegant. They also do a rosewood version.

el_murdoque likes this.
  5. el_murdoque

I've actually bought a chinese rip off, that was quite similar to the Bean a while ago. Turned out to be too small for my needs, I cut myself twice, then sold it off.
    The Boker looks quite interesting. The only thing that worries me is the absence of the slipjoint (as I see it) does it open by accident? Is the blade stable enough so it won't close on your fingers?

6. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I like the Bean, I can understand why you find it too small though... I haven't had it open by accident on me (it's seen a fair bit of pocket time now), I see it as being like a friction folder so depending on your grip it won't close. However, the balljoint (which is what I assume it has), does lock up quite well. If you're in the UK you can always order one from Heinnie and if you don't like it send it back.

I am currently EDCing a Manly Wasp, which doesn't have OHO, but is an AMAZING blade, SV90 and quite cheap...

7. el_murdoque

Thanks for bringing my attention towards that. I dismissed the Wasp because I always thought that it is a bigger version of the Comrade, which it is not. It is indeed a very interesting knife, even though it lacks the OHO feature.

8. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

The Manly Wasp is shorter, the Manly Peak longer than the Manly Comrade. Both are not as thick as the Comrade and with deep carry pocket clip. Great EDC knives with S90V steel for a good price. Some pictures of my Manly collection (inclusive the fixed Manly Patriot):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But Manly Wasp and Peak are two hand opening. There is a one hand opening Manly Peak available but the Peak is with back lock (Wasp is slipjoint) so not 100% what you are looking for.

I really love the Spyderco UKPK. With the wire clip (deep carry) and the FRN scales it´s so lightweight and with the finger coil there is low risk to cut yourself. I don´t know if the hand-fit is similar to the Byrd or Urban because I don´t know these models.

[​IMG]

Another idea is the Böker Plus XS. My model called OD with green G10 and stonewash finish. It´s available with black G10 and satin finish also. And there is a new bigger model out now, the XL. Steel is 440C.
    One hand opening and non-locking with a very stiff slipjoint. The finger coil protect the index finger (like Spyderco UKPK). Unfortunately no deep carry clip. I don´t carry it often without a specific reason. I prefer the UKPK or one of the Manly knives these days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is one more knife which I don´t have (yet ;)). S35VN steel and titanium handle. Looks more like a gentlemen folder. Slipjoint, also with a nice finger coil, one hand opening and with deep carry clip ... The Kizer Zipslip. I´m sure I will get it sooner or later. Maybe you like it also?
    A good price in Europe is EUR 129,00 at Mesenzo in the Netherlands.
    There should be a cheaper model with G10 handles and VG10 steel available also, but I like the look of the titanium handles.

I´m from Germany so I am allowed to carry non-locking one hand opening knives OR locking two hand opening knives, but not locking and one hand opening. Where are you from?

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  9. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

CRKT liong mah #5. I have a red one, which cost less than £30. One handed opening, deep carry, cheap to replace, Non locking sub 3" blade. Cons = cheap steel

It replaced my Spyderco squeak and UKPK.

10. Moose

Moose Loaded Pockets

The Bestech Junzi..... If Carlsburg made pocket knives..... Pricey but buy once, cry once.

Bottom in these shoddy pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sturdy S35VN blade, milled titanium scales (sorry not G10) with carbon fiber inlays. It maybe a gram on two over 2.5oz too, but it's bigger than the Urban, more elegant and less threatening than the UKPK; and has a (reportedly) firmer back spring than the Kizer Zipslip. I've yet to come across a production oho slippy with better f&f or quality feel for the money. The knife has great ergo's and it'll ride comfortably in the watch pocket of most of my jeans. I took the pocket clip off mine (as I prefer clipless). Comes in a range of colours too, not just bronze. I suggest the Junzi to anyone looking for the ultimate modern edc slipjoint.

I'm the same in wishing they made a non titanium (cheaper) version. With a more budget friendly edition I'd gift a couple to friends.

Last edited by Moose, Dec 6, 2018
    #10 Moose, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  11. el_murdoque

Thanks for all the tips, keep 'em coming!
    The knife I'm looking for needs to be UK legal as well as German legal.
    I located a shop close by that should have the Manly knives in stock and when I come by that place, I'll drop in and get my grubby hands one one of the Wasps.

12. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

13. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

14. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I am curious to see what you think of the Wasp. I love mine...

15. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Slipjoint

Journo likes this.
  16. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

17. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Oh, I forgot the SRM 9055

It's nicer with my self-made CF scales, of course :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've made a version with a rounded head where you can use the jimping as a front flipper.
    My dad wanted to take night shots with his super camera of the gitd spots I added to the scales but I'm waiting for those pics since a year or so...

The only pic I have is the one with a reground blade for 'shroom hunting of the same knife for a co-worker.

[​IMG]

18. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Love my squeak. Solid little guy.

19. Moose

Moose Loaded Pockets

Just some food for thought....

20. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

More ...

Kizer ZipSlip ..... CPM S35VN + 6AL4V titanium