1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Omega Speedmaster

Discussion in 'Watches' started by watchcollector1968, Sep 30, 2011.

1. watchcollector1968

watchcollector1968 Loaded Pockets

This was dads watch that he got I guess about 8-10 years ago. These days he has a little trouble reading the dial because of the lack of contrast between the dial and hands...and eyes getting bad. He had to change to a watch he could read easier.

He knows how much I loved this Speedmaster the day he got it and I always admire it when I see him. Once he decided he just would not use it anymore, he sent it to Omega to make sure everything was put in tip-top shape. He invited me over last night and had it in its original box with manual and all and presented it to me. Definitley my most special watch and now the crown jewel of my little collection.

[​IMG]

2. cmo
    • In Omnia Paratus

cmo Loaded Pockets

Very Cool. Congratulations

3. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

That thing's a beauty!

4. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Very NICE! congrats! JR

5. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

A beautiful gift that should be cherished for a life time. Very nice Time piece.

6. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

This is one of the best things about quality watches, they can be passed on.

7. Tarponfly49

Tarponfly49 Loaded Pockets

SERIOUS ENVY! Nice watch! Very nice!

8. Reid

Reid Loaded Pockets

That's fantastic. I love Speedmasters!

9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

That's a very touching story. Thank you for sharing.

That Speedy is pretty impressive. Very distinctive compared to the usual black dial version.

10. Atomic

Atomic Loaded Pockets

Cool watch. If you ever get to where you can't read it... Just send it to me. :)

11. malamalama

malamalama Loaded Pockets

That is a nice watch and a great story. Looking at it from your father's point of view, I'm guessing he's happy he gave it to you now so he could see your reaction rather than waiting. Perhaps it was always his intention that you would eventually have it, but there's no better time than the present, especially if he could share your excitement.

12. watchcollector1968

Thanks for checking it out guys. I am really enjoying wearing this. It takes a bit of getting used to checking the time at a glance but not bad at all. I had to reset the day, date and month since sept had 30 days, took a few minutes of checking the internet to make sure I was doing it right...the manual was not overly helpful :)

malamalama, I suspect you are spot on.

13. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

That is a watch that really could last you a lifetime. I cherish my Omega like its some kind of month old puppy.

14. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Just one thing . . . I know that newer Omegas use threads on the inside of the crown. Not sure if that also applies to your father's Speedy. When setting the date, it's best not to overtighten the crown. Once again, not sure if that watch uses threads inside the crown. But if it does, they can be easy to strip.

15. watchcollector1968

Appreciate the information!!!

16. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Happy to help.

For some odd reason, Oris, TAG Heuer, and Bretiling also use threads inside the crown.

17. freq18hz

freq18hz Loaded Pockets

Boy aint that the truth! I have a 2254.50.00 Seamaster that I accidentally stripped the crown threads on. :(

Im surprised omega cant design a better crown, but this way they get their $$$ when you send it in for service.

Beautiful watch there. I almost picked one of those up myself. It is one of my favorite watches!

-Freq

18. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Yes, unfortunately even if you buy an Omega from one of their boutiques and you get full warranty coverage; often times the threads inside the crown aren't covered under the warranty. I have no clue why a handful of luxury brands use threads inside the crown. I know Breitling didn't used to do that on their models until fairly recently. Hope it's not a trend that catches on.

19. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Loaded Pockets

Strange...From what I believe, the threading on the crown is there for waterproofing.Even on the warranty on some of my watches (none of which have threads inside the crown, by the way) it is implied that this method is used to keep the inner components watertight.

20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

It just seems odd. I recall one owner of a TAG Heuer Aquaracer who noticed the crown was out right before he planned on going swimming, I believe.

Crown being out is far worse for a watch in terms of water getting in. Don't want it to seem as though I'm coming off as a huge Rolex fan. Just giving credit where its due. Rolex doesn't use threads inside the crown. And probably their most popular model is indeed their iconic submariner diver's watch.