1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Olight S30R Javelot

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Glockinmypocket, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Glockinmypocket

Glockinmypocket Loaded Pockets

Olight S30R Javelot Review
    *Disclaimer: This review is based solely on my own pretenses. I was not paid for my personal opinion.
    So a couple of weeks ago, I lost my usual EDC flashlight, which was the Fenix PD25, it was a good light I will not deny that. However when it came time to replace it I decided to do a little research before I purchased a replacement. I came across the Olight brand on the EDC forums as well as Youtube. I compared between the few options I had laid out already (Fenix RC11, Thrunite TC12, and the Fenix PD35), I will leave the results of my research below. All statistics are from the official website for each light.

Fenix RC11
    [​IMG]
    Cost: $79.95
    Battery Type: 18650 or Two CR123A
    Dimensions: 4.5”L x 1.2”dia
    Weight: 2.5oz (no battery)
    Battery included? Yes
    [​IMG]
    Fenix PD35
    [​IMG]
    Cost: $71.95
    Battery Type: 18650 2600MAH or Two CR123A
    Dimensions: 5.5”L x 1”dia
    Weight: 3 oz (no battery)
    Battery included? No
    [​IMG]
    ThruNite TC12
    [​IMG]
    Cost: $69.95
    Battery Type: 18650 3400MAH
    Dimensions: 5.5”L x 1”dia
    Weight: 3oz (no battery)
    Battery included? Yes
    [​IMG]
    Olight S30R Javelot
    [​IMG]
    Cost: $69.95
    Battery Type: 18650 2600MAH or Two CR123A
    Dimensions: 4.6”L x 1.02”dia
    Weight: 4.3oz
    Battery included? Yes
    [​IMG]
    So now that the statistics are out of the way let’s get into why I put these lights in my lineup for my choices. I had a very specific list of what I wanted for my next EDC flashlight.
    • 500+ Lumens
    • Rechargable
    • Around an inch diameter
    • Under 6” in length
    • Under $100.00USD

Before this I have been a Fenix fan through and through, having a PD22 as my EDC before my PD25. Just a little background on me so you can get an idea of where this light sees the most use, I am a Mechanical Engineer for a company making material handling equipment. So the majority of this lights work will be in a shop looking into machines as they are built to ensure everything is being assembled correctly. However it does and will continue to see days where loading the truck has it getting soaked by rain. The rest of the use will be your typical everyday task such as lighting my path to the car in the morning, finding my sons Hotwheels under the couch, etc.

Now, looking at the statistics above you’ll notice that these flashlights are basically all the same. From length, to diameter, to Lumens, one could argue that one is not any better than the other. I will have to disagree on this factor though as I’m sure most of you here will. After a few minutes of searching I immediately cut out the PD35, for a couple of reasons:
    • Needed a separate charger to recharge the battery
    • The beam distance just wasn’t as impressive as the others on the list
    Now let’s be honest here, 656ft of throw is over two football fields away, most of us will be sufficient with that distance. However we have a gear addiction, we aren’t worried about if it’s enough, we are worried about if it’s the best!

The next light that I started to take hits at was the Fenix RC11. It is new to the lot, but was looking very promising to me! The thing that really pulled me in here was the “Innovative charging system”, being magnetically charged was something that grabbed my attention and wouldn’t let go. Plus the ability to use the charging cable to charge other devices of mine was a great addition. However once I began looking into the other features of the light, here is why the RC11 got knocked from my list:
    • No instant on, you have to hold the button for 0.5 seconds before the light would turn on.
    • Beam distance was too short
    • Did not have a “Firefly” mode
    • Exposed charging port on flashlight
    Now, in my first point I know a lot of people are going to say “0.5 seconds is nothing, why does that matter?”, well to be honest I could probably use the light and never notice the difference, but if I need my light I do not want to worry about any type of delay. Period. The beam distance is the same scenario as above, I may not need it, but I want it. The “Firefly” mode is important to me, on my previous flashlights reading at night on the low setting just wasn’t very satisfying. I typically used my cell phone screen as a light over my EDC light, and in my line of work there are plenty of times where I am stuck reading a print in the dark.

On the point of the charger I know a lot of people are going to make note of the fact that the S30R also has an exposed charging point on the flashlight. So let me explain why I dislike the charge point on the RC11. The RC11 charging port is an indented point on the head of the flashlight, which means that over time, coming in and out of my pocket that it can very well become filled with pocket lint and other debris. The last thing I want when it comes time to charge my EDC is to have to clean it beforehand. Given I do think the RC11 is a great light, it just isn’t great for me!

The last light that I knocked from the list was the TC12. I know a lot of people are going to wonder why I knocked this one down. The TC12 has a higher capacity battery from the manufacturer, more lumens, more beam distance, etc. I will admit that I saw these same things, but there are SO MANY features on the S30R that made the choice to knock out the TC12 the better choice. My decision basically came down to a head to head between these two lights. One point that I will make here is that the TC12 was nearly an inch longer than the S30R Javelot, that’s the only simple point that made me choose the S30R over the TC12. You will realize the rest of the MAJOR reasons I picked the S30R as I go into the full focus of this review below.

Here we are, finally to the point of the review that you’re here for! The light that I chose to purchase, against all others, the Olight S30R Javelot! When I received this light I could tell immediately that this light was better quality than any other light I had ever purchased. The packing alone made that apparent. The packaging of the light just screamed quality, in every sense of the word.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (I apologize for the quality of this one, tough to get a good picture with the clear cover over it)
    Holding this light for the first time I could tell this thing was going to be with me for a lifetime. It’s light, but at the same time manages to give you the feeling of a hefty durable light. It fits very well in my hand, I wear large size gloves. Every surface of this light are very neatly anodized, and the color is spot on, no dull spots like on a lot of my other lights. The branding is very prominent as well, but not overpowering. It is just an overall sleek and great looking flashlight!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There are a few key features that made me choose this light:
    • Glow ring inside bezel
    • Length
    • Low Battery Indicator
    • Magnetic Charging
    • Magnetic Tail Cap
    I want to touch base on each of these features, because in my opinion these are what really sells this light. The first thing to talk about is the glow in the dark ring inside the bezel. Most people see these lights and just think that this is a simple blue ring to symbolize Olight inside the head of the flashlight. However, it is a lot more than that, when you run the light for a few seconds it charges this ring, so that if you would happen to drop the light and it go out it is easy to find. We all have to admit that dropping our light happens more frequently than we like. This is a very subtle and overlooked feature on these lights, but I believe it deserves more recognition!

[​IMG]
    (Please excuse the quality here, I don’t currently have a camera with great low light capability)

I listed the length as one of the key selling points here for a couple of reasons. It seems that most 18650 lights that are rechargeable internally are more around the size of the TC12, and while some people may not mind that extra inch in their pocket, it is something that most people who EDC a light would rather stay away from. It’s no huge factor, but to me it is something that definitely needs to be noted. Olight list the light at 118.5mm(4.66in) on their website, however after my testing I did realize that it is just a little more than that, however I don’t think anybody will notice an extra 0.025” in their pocket. The diameter of the flashlight at the head is just a little less than the specified 1.02” on the site as well, but I’m assuming they are measuring at the hexagonal point of the light.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Despite the length of the light, it sits inside the pocket VERY well. The pocket clip is a little tight at first and did take some breaking in, but after it’s seated it is great, and it inspires confidence that your light isn’t going to slide from your pocket.

[​IMG]
    The next feature I have listed is the integration of a low light indicator, and a VERY subtle one at that! The on/off switch of the S30R Javelot is actually the indicator. When the lights battery source gets low it will begin to flash red, and when it is close to dying it will remain a nice solid red color via an LED behind the switch.

[​IMG]
    (Unfortunately when my light got low I put it on the charger without thinking, this is from another Olight, but it serves as an example of what the low battery indicator persist of on the S30R Javelot)

This next feature is something that immediately made me fall in love with this flashlight. The magnetic charging dock! This dock is very small, and very compact, powered by USB, and barely takes up any space on a desk or bedside table. The LED is very prominent red or green to indicate when the light is done charging. The light “snaps” onto the dock with no effort and it is very stable while attached.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The charging base in itself honestly needs it’s own review. It’s quite the feature packed little guy! They also included a “daisy chain” point in the charger so that you can charge or power your other USB devices while the light is charging. Whether that is your phone, or like I did here with my Mycharge AllTerrain+ Power bank.

[​IMG]
    From a completely dead battery, 2600 MAH, it took the light 2 hours and 51 minutes to reach a complete charge. Not bad at all considering how long the battery in this thing last!

The last outstanding feature, honestly the one that put this light over the top for me, is the magnetic tail cap, which allows for hands free lighting as long as there is a metal surface around. I am a car guy, so the ability to slap this little guy under the hood is a top notch quality. Not to mention that in my line of work being able to attach the light to a piece of equipment is a huge plus! The magnet is very strong, and holds at all angles. For demonstration I placed it on my desk and my desktop PC this morning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This feature will be used by me on more than one occasion daily, and honestly I feel that to most of us who are going to EDC a light like this it is invaluable! There are so many different points of this light that make it wonderful though. This light is my primary EDC, from my pocket to the bedside for when things go bump in the night. So I decided to test it out last night, this is the kitchen in my home, it is about a 15x22 room. This light might as well just turn the overhead light on!

Moonlight:
    [​IMG]
    (Please excuse the quality here, I don’t currently have a camera with great low light capability)
    Low:
    [​IMG]
    Medium:
    [​IMG]
    High:
    [​IMG]
    Turbo:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see the light is astonishingly bright, a room inside of a house may not be the ultimate test, but I feel like that test pertains to a lot more of us. I am very pleased with the output this light creates, and am confident that no matter where I am I will always be able to see ahead of me adequately!

Another feature that I want to touch on is the fact of this light being water resistant up to 2 meters. This is a feature that gets MAJOR discrimination on this light. The only test that I could find were guys dumping the light in a gallon of water for THIRTY MINUTES at a time, and even then minimal water entered the light. However it still functioned perfectly! My point here is though, that MOST of us aren’t going to be swimming for 30 minutes with our flashlight in our pocket. I had this light out in the rain for two hours yesterday while I cut my grass, which is a more applicable test for most of us, and not one drop of water entered the light, it worked perfectly! So in typical everyday carry fashion I would definitely not steer away from this light just because of the test others have performed.

The time has come now to wrap up this review, I hope this helps someone else make the same choice that I did, and if there are any other questions you may have feel free to ask! My final recollection of this light is:

5 out of 5

It’s not very often that I give anything a perfect score, but Olight hit this one out of the park. This thing is truly astonishing, and I will be sticking around Olight for years to come thanks to this light purchase.

I will close out this review with the ONLY thing that I believe Olight could change that would make this package better. With the charging dock Olight supplies an adhesive pad to permanently mount the dock to a surface, however if you are like me you want to take this thing with you on business, vactions, etc. So I believe it would be better for them to include a Hook and loop pad instead. I plan to do this for myself, and I think it would be a better option for most customers like me!

Thanks for reading,

-Glockinmypocket

2. derfyled

derfyled Loaded Pockets

Great in-depth review ! Seems like a very interesting light. Now, I just wish it would be offered with a neutral white or high CRI emitter, cool white is a big turn off for me since I mostly use flashlights in the woods.

Glockinmypocket likes this.
  3. Glockinmypocket

It was definitely built with more of an urban setting in mind, it does do ok in the woods, but I agree with you that an option in neutral white would be awesome. I think it has more of an EDC ability myself!

4. TOPOS

TOPOS Loaded Pockets

awesome review for what looks like an awesome light. I'm a bit concerned with that magnet, could possibly get annoying by catching on all sorts of stuff, also is it removable and will the magnetic charger still work?

5. Glockinmypocket

The magnet is required for the magnetic charging as far as I know, but i'll do some testing and let you know!

I have it clipped in my left pocket all the time, I never have issues with it engaging when I don't want it to. The magnet is strong, but not strong enough to make it "suction" to any metal that gets near it. I rest it next to my Glock 19 slide in my EDC safe when I get home and they never become connected.