1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Olight S1 questions..

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Todd C., May 13, 2016.

1. Todd C.

Todd C. Loaded Pockets

This will be my first light I have ever spent more than $30 on. I was hoping for a little input regarding which way I should run the unit. I have read many arguments for and against using The rechargeable battery or using the standard CR123A lithium battery. What would you guys recommend? The reason I am asking is that it will depend on if I purchase the "bundle" (includes the rechargeable battery and charger) or just the light and some batteries. Thanks everyone!

2. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

Ive never been a fan of lights that Use the CR123 batteries. All my lights run on either AA or AAA for ease of getting new batteries and keeping other ones on me as well as price of them. JMHO.

Todd C. likes this.
  3. Todd C.

Todd C. Loaded Pockets

I agree with you, and thats why I had this question in a sense really. I have no experience with this type of battery. Can you recommend a light in the similar price range that runs on standard batteries with similar characteristics of the S1 Baton? I am open to any suggestions..

4. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

The Olight S15 is the AA version of that light. When I bought mine, it came with an extension tube to convert it from 1xAA to 2xAA.

If this is what you're looking for, do a bit of research. I think they've changed the on/off/mode button, making it lower profile so it doesn't get turned on unintentionally. The light does have a button lockout feature, but when you unlock it, it forgets the last brightness level you were using (can't remember if it comes on high or low).

Also, keep in mind that a single AA light is not going to have the same light output as single CR123 light (1.5 vs. 3 volts)

I, too, prefer the AA battery. I've standardized all the stuff I carry in my truck around the NiMH low-self-discharge (think Eneloop) AA so I can swap batteries between devices if it ever came down to that (keep a 4xAA charger in the truck, too).

Last edited by Blackheart, May 13, 2016
  5. jcwagers

jcwagers Loaded Pockets

If you're ok with something slightly bigger, look into the S2 Baton. It uses the 18650 batteries so it will have longer runtimes but can also use cr123a batteries. Last time I checked, you could get a bundle on the "big river" site that has the light, battery, 2 cr123 batteries, and a charger for around a benjamin + lincoln ($25) more than just the light itself.

6. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I think the S1A is due out shortly which is essentially the S1 in AA platform. There were some sightings at the recent SHOT show and think there are some videos on YT showing it, IIRC. But I am not absolutely certain...There may have even been some discussion on this forum regarding this light. I have looked at too much flashlight information lately to remember it all.

The S2 is a great light, I own 2 but they are not super pocket friendly. I have owned an S1 and gifted it to my father, the clip was a problem for me. The CR123 batteries are fine for my usage and I run them in an Eagletac D25C Ti. It has been said, but you will struggle to find equivalent performance in a AA light vs CR123, although sourcing batteries will be easier in a pinch.

Last edited by jcombs, May 14, 2016
  7. tyman26

tyman26 Loaded Pockets

I picked up the s1 bundle with 2 batteries and a charger, it's been the only light I've carried since I got it, fits perfect in the coin pocket of my jeans. Rechargeable batteries put out a higher output compared to standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

Get the bundle, you won't regret your choice.

9. Glockinmypocket

Glockinmypocket Loaded Pockets

I bought one of the S1's when they came out with the Special Edition Titanium one. Hated it. Sold it. Not because it wasn't a good light, but i'm just no fan of tip up carry.

10. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

I avoid 2x CR123's due to the numerous incidents of fire.

11. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

No AA light is going to compete with S1 in terms of size and performance.There are some impressive AA lights but they require the use of rechargeable batteries or at least lithium AAs for peak performance and they are significantly larger.Lithium AAs negate any cost savings over CR123s and the latter is a better power source IMHO. The big advantage you can get with a AA light is the ability to use eneloops or other NiMH rechargeables. If you really intend to use alkaline AAs I would stick to cheaper lights as the potential for leaks is high.More than a few of my lights have been ruined by alkaline batteries before I started using lithium and rechargeable batteries. For EDC primary lithiums have always worked well for me but for heavy use rechargeables are probably better.My work light sees consistent use on high and I use rechargeables for it.

surefire7 likes this.
  12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

On the other hand,I too use a light on High all the time and may go through several AA Alkies a day in my ZL SC52 and I can not be bothered trying to charge and recharge on the job or later really.
    I have tried over and over and I am just not that guy!
    I love the SC52 on Lithium but at work I just throw the Leakers away as they die and I have yet to have them leak on me in the ZL yet(of course I realize that I am asking for it now!).
    I think the shorter amount of time each one is in the light might mitigate somewhat the likelihood for leakage? Not sure but so far so good.

And for me clearly the convenience has been worth the risk too so I would suggest this is considered here too depending on your needs in a light.

ZMZ67 likes this.
  13. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Well..... a D25A is ~equal in volume (Pi * r^2 * h) or 1.3 ci.; can use the same 2 battery chemistries as the S1 (3V CRAA lithium-manganese primaries and 14500 lithium-ion rechargeables) for comparable max output; in addition to at least 4 other battery chemistries not available to CR123/16340 lights; its mechanical clicky circuit and wide voltage tolerance is capable of running ANY battery in a pinch (w/ paperclip); and several CPF folks tested the S1s moonlight runtime at only ~60hrs (inefficient for sublumen).

[​IMG]

Italico likes this.
  14. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

15. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

More power to you but I'll pass on the alkaleaks in expensive lights,been burnt one time too many! My Zebralight SC5w is designed with Nimh in mind but I would fret the entire time if I were using alkalines! The SC5w is my work light and the use of eneloops hasn't been a problem. Since I always have a bag at work I just carry extras and change them as needed (The SC5 goes through them pretty quick running on high). When I get four dead ones I recharge them at home.I always have Energizer lithiums for back up as well.

16. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Maybe if I worked in the same place all the time things would be different but I am rarely at a spot where I can charge and know I will be there for an entire cycle or can even think about charging realistically.
    I know what you mean about the SC5 too,I went through Eneloops so quickly that it was just not practical for me though I really like the light and it also seems so much bigger than the SC52 that it seems huge in pocket when compared.
    This is why I got an S1 in the first place really it seems so much smaller than the SC52 to me in pocket,hand and mouth!
    I get 123's for under a dollar locally but that is still as lot more pricey than AA and I don't have the tint of the ZL either which is a tough act to follow once used to it.
    I do carry the S1 in my 5th pocket these days as a backup to my AA backup and when I need the smallest it comes out for sure.

17. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

There is always the SC32w,not quite as small as the S1 but pretty much the same output as the SC5w in a much smaller package.I usually alternate between the S1 and SC32w in my 5th pocket for EDC depending on what I think my lighting needs might be for the day unless I am at work where I carry the SC5w in a small belt holster.My S1s are the neutral titanium and brass versions and I am happy with the tint but probably wouldn't care for the cool white of the standard S1.

18. DaiwaNut

DaiwaNut Loaded Pockets

You will not be disappointed with the S1. I own 2 and one is with me all the time. One uses rechargeable and one uses CR123. They are awesome lights.

19. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

I think you have three factors: size, performance, and battery. The S1 has great size and performance, but a less-common battery. AA lights have an easy battery, but the other two start to be dependent on each other.
    Personally, my local B&M where I buy knives sells CR123As at very affordable prices, so if you can find a similar source or don't mind buying online, perhaps in bulk for savings, then you'll be ok. I've read too many things about rechargeable equivalents to CR123A to want to use them, but YMMV. Because I can get the battery easily, I can get an S1(if I can ever find the spare cash) and get the size and performance without as much battery hassle. I am, however, interested to see what the S1A will look like. I don't need the 500 lumens; I'm more about the size, so if I can get a small AA light with decent performance, I'm interested. But it's all tradeoffs, and personal preference.

Also, don't ever use multiple CR123As, as that's a good way to start a fire.