1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Olight M22 Warrior Review

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Glockinmypocket, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Glockinmypocket

Glockinmypocket Loaded Pockets

Olight M22 Warrior Review
    *Disclaimer: This review is based solely on my own pretenses. I was not paid for my personal opinion.
    Recently I have been rebuilding my EDC “Bolt Bag” or Get home bag whichever you prefer. I have had a simple Bushnell 250L 2x AA light as my “backup” to my EDC in this bag for over a year now. The light is a great, basic, and cheap option for an EDC bag, however I have been upgrading the gear I carry over the last few months after a failure I had with some “budget” equipment. So just as I always do I buried myself into the internet to research what light I wanted to carry. The three that I narrowed my choices down to was the Fenix TK16, EAG TAC T25C2, and the Olight M22 Warrior. In typical Glockinmypocket fashion I have added the basic statistics of lights below, all information and images are direct from the manufacturers website.

Fenix TK16
    [​IMG]
    Cost: $99.95
    Battery Type: 18650 (Used for stats below) or Two CR123A
    Dimensions: 5.5”L x 1.3”dia
    Weight: 4.3oz (no battery)
    Battery included? No
    [​IMG]
    Eag Tac T25C2
    [​IMG]
    Cost: $94.90
    Battery Type: 18650 (Used for stats below) or Two CR123A
    Dimensions: 5.7”L x 1.3”dia
    Weight: 4.6oz (no battery)
    Battery included? No
    [​IMG]
    Olight M22 Warrior
    [​IMG]
    Cost: $84.95
    Battery Type: 18650 or 2x CR123A (Used for stats below)
    Dimensions: 5.7”L x 1.6”dia
    Weight: 5.15oz (no battery)
    Battery included? No
    [​IMG]

So now that the statistics are out of the way let’s get into why I put these lights in my lineup for my choices. I had a very specific list of what I wanted for my “backup” flashlight.
    • 500+ Lumens
    • Under $100.00USD
    • Holster that can be Molle Mounted
    • Strobe
    Now I’d light to touch on why each of these points were important to me.

Having more than 500 lumens is important to me for the simple fact of I want to see, and I want to see clearly. While my 250L Bushnell done a decent job lighting up in front of me, after about 50ft it was hard to make out anything besides a faint outline. My EDC light was packing twice to four times the punch of my backup light and that’s just unacceptable. So I wanted something that was at LEAST as bright as my EDC lights. Plus for me this light is acting as a primary light in a :censored: situation, my EDC lights are great for EDC task, but have little to no true tactical function. So I needed to find a light that wasn’t only bright, but would light up more than a few feet ahead of me.

The cost was important to me because while I have an above average income, I still don’t want to spend more than I have to, plus telling your wife you’re spending $200.00 for something to spend 99% of it’s life unused isn’t the easiest thing. Now I will say that I have the MSRP listed for all of these lights, some of them can be had for less than the prices listed on the manufacturer website.

The holster option for me was extremely important. I carry a LOT of gear in my EDC “Bolt Bag”, and I need every inch of space inside that I can get. I also wanted the light mounted outside for quick and easy access when it was needed without having to open my bag to get to it.

The strobe feature is important to me for the obvious reasons. Like I stated before my primary EDC lights, while most do have a strobe, lack tactical functionality. So I wanted a light with a high lumen output and a simply activated strobe mode in order to have the light give me a tactical advantage in an attack.

Now, let’s talk about why I would chose the M22 over the other lights listed here. I knocked the TK16 for two reasons. One, beam distance was lacking, being the lowest out of the three, when in a :censored: situation I believe being able to see as far as possible is a top priority. The secondary reason that I knocked the TK16 out was the holster. The Fenix holsters aren’t bad if you’re attaching them to a belt, but when it comes to attaching them to a bag they make things difficult. I will also admit that when I narrow stuff down like this, I tend to cut off the most expensive one. All in all I believe the TK16 would be a good light, but it wasn’t a fit for my specific situation.

EAGTac was a new brand for me, I have never heard much about them, nor have I ever used one. However when I was researching lights in this category the T25C2 came up continuously. After giving it a look over though I decided against it. While the T25C2 has some good features, to me the interface of modes was just terrible. Needing a brighter level of light shouldn’t instill having to bring your other hand down to adjust it. As said before I’m thinking of this light with a :censored: situation in mind, and that means that I will most likely be using this as a weapons light at some point. I don’t want to have to holster my weapon just to be able to change my lighting. The holster was another let down for me on the T25C2, just as the Fenix holster, it would be difficult to mount the way I needed to have it mounted. Now I do believe that for a Security officer, or a camping excursion that this light would make decent sense, but not for a :censored: situation.

Both the TK16 and the T25C2 failed in comparison to the M22 when it comes to beam distance and water resistance as well.

So, now here is the reason why I would go with the M22 over the other lights in this category:
    • Price
    • Holster setup
    • Beam Distance
    • User Interface
    So now let’s touch on these points, the first one being price. At MSRP level the M22 is already generally cheaper than the other two lights listed above. However if you take the time to look, the M22 can be found on Amazon for $49.99! Which astonished me, I have other Olights, and to see a QUALITY, 1000 lumen tactical light for under fifty dollars nowadays is just impeccable. Not to mention what I found out when I got the light in the mail. Not only did I get a quality light, but unlike most other lights in this category I received a full package.

·Hardshell Case
    ·White light diffuser
    ·Lanyard
    ·Spare orings
    ·Spare tail switch
    ·Battery Tube for use with CR123’s

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This nice kit was unexpected, but a great surprise, especially for the cost!

The holster setup is one of the main reasons this light was excepted by me to fill this position in my EDC/BO system. Unlike all of the other lights I found in this category and price range the M22 actually has the ability to be attached to molle! It is a little difficult to get the straps ran behind the molle, but it definitely does work. I used a grimlock on my Javelin 2.0 just to be 100% confident it was secure, but it’s nowhere near necessary.

Also did I forget to mention that it has a spare battery slot on each side of the holster? I will be getting some battery tubes for permanent storage here ASAP. It makes for a very compact and very sleek way to carry both the light and backup power! So in the small holster alone, with one battery in the light, you are talking up to 150 hours of run time!

The beam distance of the M22 is superior, reaching out to 1000ft, and is what made me realize this light was worth anything you have to throw at it. The tree in these pictures is about 150 yards away, and as you can see there is no difficulty whatsoever seeing what’s in the top limbs!

Low:
    [​IMG]
    (Please excuse the quality here, I don’t currently have a camera with great low light capability)
    Medium:
    [​IMG]
    (Please excuse the quality here, I don’t currently have a camera with great low light capability)
    Turbo:
    [​IMG]

Last but not least, the true 100% decider for this light is the user interface. Just like most Olight’s it is very simple to use, and while yes in order to change between all the modes you have to turn the head of the light like the other two lights above, but you can quickly access the 1000Lumen output mode with two quick clicks of the tail switch, and strobe with a quick three clicks of the tail switch. This means that you can also change your function with one hand, and keep your other hand on your weapon!

Now that you understand why I believe that the M22 is superior to all other lights in it’s class, here is a few more pictures that I think will be useful for you guys. While this light is being used as a backup :censored: light, so most of us want to just think of outside, :censored: means looting. Looting means being inside houses and buildings that are now without power, so I did the typical test that I always do inside my house. This is a 15x22 room, and as you can see the M22 makes easy work of it:

Low:
    [​IMG]
    Medium:
    [​IMG]
    High:
    [​IMG]
    Now like always I want to close with something that I believe the company can change about their light to make it a little better. In the case of the M22 there is only one small thing that I would like to see upgraded, and that is the holster. While it IS molle attachable right now, I would really like to see some vertical webbing on the holster to be able to use molle sticks or something else of the sort in order to attach it, and that is just me nitpicking. This light is seriously great, especially for the price it is available at. All in all I give this light a solid:

4.8 out of 5

The only reason I am not giving it a solid 5 out of 5 is because of the small difficulty with mounting the holster. It is an astounding light, the fit and finish is amazing (which is expected from Olight), it comes with a great little kit, and it will shine far enough ahead of you that you never have to worry about what lies in the darkness ahead. If you’re in the market for tactical light for your :censored: or Bugout bags, then look no farther than this light!​

Thanks for reading,

Glockinmypocket

Last edited by Glockinmypocket, Jun 23, 2016
    Paul LJ, Nick4305 and Safety1st like this.
  2. Safety1st

Safety1st Loaded Pockets

Great review, both in terms of content and photographs.

I really enjoyed reading that. Thanks for taking the trouble to construct and post/share it.

Olight flashlights are my favourites nowadays, both in terms of price, reliability and choice of options.