1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Older G-Shocks

Discussion in 'Watches' started by ff.emt, Apr 29, 2016.

1. ff.emt

ff.emt Empty Pockets

So here lately I've developed the desire to have many g-shocks haha, within the last few months I've purchased a G100, 6-9000 and a G-9300 (wore a luminox for years). I think that I would like to get several older models to start a small collection of and have been scouring a large auction site but has anyone ever had any luck finding them at say a thrift store or such? I'm getting a feeling this can be an expensive hobby and trying to save a few bucks!

2. F.Todd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

F.Todd Loaded Pockets

I've seen some at thrift stores and flea markets but never anything diamonds in the rough...I would suggest you check the FS threads in watch forums or craigslist.

3. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I collect older Baby-Gs and mostly get mine on eBay. Usually a large box of half broken ones to play with and rehab.

Sent by owl post.

4. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

I have been a G-Shock collectors for a long time and I see them come and go. There are a few things to work out for on older G-Shock. The first would be the condition of the resin bezel and straps. In many cases, replacement parts won't be available any more.

Other things you will need to watch out on are the condition of the inner case, especially where the 4 screws which screw down the caseback. I have seen stripped screw holes and they simply use a larger screw to secure the caseback. Some has badly positioned caseback gasket from the last battery change and this will comprise the water resist.

More things to look out for is the tiny contact springs between the module and the caseback, those are for various function, and if they are lost during battery change, then some of the feature on the watch won't work.

EBay are full of deals and also full of traps. You just need to know what to look out for. If you buy from enthusiasts on watch forum, then at least there is a higher chance that the people bought from knows about the watch and knows what they are doing.

CatherineM likes this.
  5. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

You want to get into the older g-shocks you can't go wrong with the original "Masters of G". Raysman, Wademan, Mudman, Codename to name a few. There are many to be had in good to LNIB (like new in box) to NIB (new in box/mint) but you will have to scour the japanese auctions sites like Rakuten and Yahoo auctions Japan.

Most definitely this can be an expensive hobby!