1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Old Glocks are like baby pidgeons, you never see them. Why not?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Buster Bodine, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Buster Bodine

Buster Bodine Loaded Pockets

My Glock is pretty old now. It's what used to be known as a 2nd Gen but is now being referred to as 1st gen. It lacks the finger grooves, "thumb rest" and accessory rail but does have the "grenat pistole" checkering on the front and back straps. In short, it isn't the old "slick side" 1st gen.

But it occurred to me the other day, I haven't seen another one of similar vintage in many years. Why is this? Mine's still running fine in spite of some heavy use and pretty spectacular abuse. I used to use it as a teaching tool and would do horrible things to it that I'd never dream of doing to any other gun. Still looks fine and aside from amphib striker cups an extended slide release, and lower weight trigger bar (All Glock made) I've never replaced anything, including the recoil spring assembly.

So if mine's still running, I've got to assume most of the rest of them are as well. What's the deal? Why don't they show up at the range occasionally?

2. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I had 1st/2nd Gen Glock, It ran fine. I sold it off, there was nothing wrong with the gun, it just didn't fit me as well as some other guns do.

3. aldo_vic_t

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

I've got the same Glock you're referring to, the G19. Still love it, but if i had the chance, i like to get a G17 with the new improvements. Also the G21SF. At any rate, dreaming is free... lol! ;-)

4. wabash

wabash Loaded Pockets

let's see a pic of it!

5. locknload223

locknload223 Loaded Pockets

Here's my second gen 17. I've kept it stock except for refinishing the slide with Norrell's. The third gen finger grips do not work with me. My fingers lay on the crests of the grooves, no bueno. I've been on the hunt for a second gen 19 but they're hard to find.

When I bought it.
    [​IMG]

Refinished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

they're busy working ;D

7. jwhite75

jwhite75 Loaded Pockets

They are around allover Gunbroker. Lots of PD trade ins are in pawn shps and wholesalers. The 19 is considered the Holy Grail...hard to find in 2nd gen, but loved by many. Watch www.summitgunbroker.com. Mark always has some great deals on used guns.

8. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I think it's because that most people who buy them either sell them off quickly out of dislike, or are very satisfied with them (and therefore keep them). My favorite is the G26, and in the last 8 years or so, I've seen exactly 1 used G26 for sale. Now I know you mentioned range trips, but the point that I'm trying to make is that I don't think they are wearing out. Most owners are probably not "shooters". They most likely buy a gun, test fire it and store it away for times of need. Maybe a trip to the range every now or then.

9. GrayShadows

GrayShadows Loaded Pockets

Mostly all we can get in Mass is Pre 1998 Glocks. He can only hope to get a used LEO Glock and pay over $600 for one and be happy.

10. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I have not seen any 2nd gen Glocks in person, but I have seen baby pigeons...

11. Highvalleyranch

Highvalleyranch Loaded Pockets

my 1st gen glock 17

I have a glock 19 2nd generation which is my main CCW pistol,
    But I love my 1st generation glock 17 even more. Nothing fits better into my hand than that old slick grips of the first generations. It feels more slim than a 1911!
    Found one on GunBroker for less than 400.00 they are around, but you have to look. As rare as they are, the prices aren't jacked up by their scarcity, because many people don't even know the difference between the different generations. That 2nd gen with the checkering is not even now considered first generation correctly, no matter how old it is.
    Here's a pic of the 1st generation glock 17, the "original". There are only a few 1st gen glock 19's and they are rarer than hen's teeth.
    Mine is a "baby dove" because it like to keep the peace!
    [​IMG]

12. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Hi All,

As a Glock certified armorer I can tell you that these earily generation models are heathly and around in abundance.

With the Tenniffer coatings on the steel that remains deep into the surface of the metal (even if it gets refinished), they remain corrosion resistant.

There have been torture test's with over $60,000.00 worth of ammo put through a single earily model Glock. I think it is Chuck Taylors Glock and I think it is over a quarter of a million rounds so far.

Old Glocks never wear out, or die, they just settle down in peoples holsters, night stands, and other resting places until their next practice session.

Even some of the employees at Glock are not fond of the Gen lV models. I just got one of the last model 17's (green frame) Gen lll's that were left (I need an interchangable back strap like I need a hole in the head).

The U.S. military went to an arched mainspring housing on 1911's to keep solders from shooting low, when point shooting (as they were missing their targets). The tiny amount of grip purchase that can be achieved with the interchangable back straps, just is not worth all the trouble and hype (even for a smaller hand). Glock should think of specializing in a few single stack magazine pistols that might fit a smaller hand with the correct grip angle. There is no problem with any of there guns and they will last several lifetimes.

Cliff

13. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I think you are on to something there. I have a friend who is a Glock armorer, and he has expressed the same opinion as you concerning their longevity. Also I agree with you on the Gen4. I'll stick with Gen3.

14. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

I got the Gen lll to complement my Sub 2000 folding carbine, that also uses Glock 17 magazines. These should make a nice traveling companion pair, for when we go away in the RV. I still EDC a 1911 though.

15. G22

G22 Empty Pockets

What Cliff said, HighValleyRanch, I've got one that looks just like that one! Shoots like a dream too. I love that old frame! It fits my hand perfect. I've since had to let go of my 2nd gen 19, my 1st gen 21, and they have been replaced with a 3rd gen 19, and my 3rd gen 21sf rtf. They are around though, lots and lots of them are around! My 1st gen 17

[​IMG]

16. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

My old G17.

[​IMG]
    G17, sporting a G34 barrel because the chicks dig it.

17. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

Just out of curiosity, is the barrel Mag-Na-Ported or other wise ported? I ask because one one school solution for adding compensator ports to 1911 before weighted compensators came out was to use a Gov't length barrel in a Commander. With the porting on the added length, fouling was reduced inside the gun.

One problem if the work wasn't done right, I think either the lugs or barrel bushing had the habit of cracking. Any trouble with excessive wear on the barrel?

18. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

My old first generation 17, sporting a Hogue Monogrip (I have big hands) and 17 round mag with 2Plus2 floorplate to bump it to 19 (+1 in the chamber for 20 before reload). I don't remember exactly when I bought it, but Ronnie Reagan was President at the time.

[​IMG]

19. Iyyob

Iyyob Loaded Pockets

the resale is so low ususally its not worth the trade in plus why get rid of them there great

20. aegri.mentis

aegri.mentis Loaded Pockets

I have a Glock 17 that was manufactured in 1987. It has had THOUSANDS of rounds through it, with no problems.
    As a matter of fact, my Glock is so old, the serial number has only 3 digits. Honest.