1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Old G-Shock watch -- battery replacement destroys water resistance?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by ErnestS, Aug 27, 2009.

1. ErnestS

ErnestS Loaded Pockets

I stopped by my local watch store and asked whether he could replace the battery on my old g-shock watch (purchased about 10 years ago). He said he could, but warned me that I would no longer be able to swim or dive with the watch since opening the cover would destroy its water resistance.

I was really disappointed by his response, but thought I would check first with the experts (fellow EDCF members). Has anyone had this experience, or know anything about this? I just can't imagine that my bombproof g-shock watch could be destroyed by a simple battery replacement! :shrug:

2. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

There is a rubber gasket that sits between the case and the case back. If the gasket is worn out, a battery replacement could ruin what's left of the gasket. And unlike normal watches, most G-Shocks have oddly shaped special gaskets. It's best to buy a new gasket from Casio, if the watch is pretty old and abused.

3. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I think the gasket should be replaced and the watch should be pressure tested every time it is opened, if you are actually diving with it. It is a testament to the ignorance of your watch guy and how watches are treated as disposable that the basic maintenance of a watch is now unknown, beyond replacing a battery.

4. ErnestS

ErnestS Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the information. I'm glad to hear that my old g-shock is useable/serviceable! :roof:

5. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Empty Pockets

In order to keep it serviceable, I suggest you look for a licensed Casio dealer who will replace the gasket as a matter of course after exchanging the battery. He will probably also pressure-test the watch afterwards.

6. jenkinma

jenkinma Loaded Pockets

I own 2 "older" G-shocks, and what I was told at a watch shop, was to send it back to the factory (which is where it will go if you take it to an authorized dealer)... because not only will they replace the battery and gasket, but also pressurize the compartment inside as they do that, which is the real trick. I don't remember what the cost is, but since it's so old, you may need to visit the website and find out if they still service your model... or it might even require a phone call to customer service. You just need the model number off the backplate.

This reminds me I need to do that with mine :D

7. Phaeton

Phaeton Empty Pockets

10 years is pretty good life for a G-Shock. Hard to believe this is your first battery change.

What the local watch shop told you is essentially true. It does not mean that your watch will not be waterproof, but they will not warranty against water intrusion.

You will probably find that the cost of factory service far exceeds the value of your watch and even the cost of a new comparable model, but I certainly understand if you are attached to this particular watch.

I would recommend getting a new case gasket and battery. You can install these yourself if you are minimally handy and proceed with care.

Mark

8. ErnestS

ErnestS Loaded Pockets

Actually, the watch is 10 years old, but I think the battery died about 4 years ago (I thought I had lost it during a move, but found it in a desk drawer a couple of years ago). Since I plan to do some diving and snorkeling soon, I wanted to get it operational again.

I found some great instructions on changing the battery. I think I might have to give it a try (assuming that the gasket is still in decent shape). :)

9. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

G-shocks were initially designed against the "triple ten" requirements:

10 year battery life
    10 bar water resistance
    10 m freefall survival

Fun read: Unbreakable

10. m_calingo

m_calingo Empty Pockets

I have an old Seiko chronograph that needs to have its battery changed about once every three years. It's not a dive watch, but it is designed to be water resistant.

Sadly, in order to maintain even that capability it too needs to be sent to an authorized Seiko service center for battery reaplacement.

It would seem that the average watch kiosk or store at your local mall may be well stocked with batteries but not the gasket sealers necessary to keep them waterproof.

11. ErnestS

ErnestS Loaded Pockets

Just an update: I ended up using the directions in my previous post and replaced the battery. I found that the gasket was in good shape, and I added some silicone lubricant just to reinforce the seal.

So far, the watch seems to be performing as good as new! I will let you all know if it holds up to some scuba diving. :)