1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

old g- shock question

Discussion in 'Watches' started by tenmmike, May 6, 2006.

1. tenmmike

tenmmike Empty Pockets

since 1984 iv only had 2 watches continuesly)on my wrist , both  5600(i guess thats what the original incandesent  one was numbered as well, any way the first i got was before i went into the army in 84, it was like the now dw 5600(plain beater g-shock) but like i said it had incandesent background light not the  illuminater, but what i liked was the very heavy duty screw on backing plate/base  not the type that we now that is  just a stamped stainless steel plate with 4 screws( from what i can tell), what are yalls knowledge of the 2 types and what are your conclusions? thanks for your time.
    btw my first one ran for 7 years before needing a batt change and took 8 years of infantry abuse with the need of 2 wristband change (might have been 3 ), almost every soldier with a watch had one , and rarely saw anything else

2. sak_collector

sak_collector Empty Pockets

I too had the original G-Shock with the screw in case back. I now currently have 13 G-Shocks with 12 of them having the 4-screw plate. I am not sure if there is an advantage to one over the other, although I suspect for Casio the plate is a cost saving measure.

The only current regular production model I am aware of with the screw in back is the Frogman which I have also. Anyways, from what I can tell the 4-screw does not seem to give anything up in terms of water resistence or durability (it is quite thick itself).

There is a guy on the WUS forum who has a 2300/2310 (has a 4-screw back) model. He has put it through quite a bit of testing, freezing it in blocks of ice, impact testing and other stuff. The most extreme was a drop test off the roof of a 25 storey hotel. Other than a few scuffs to the outer casing, no ill effects.

In my opinion the screw in backs are prettier, but if you were to get a new 5600 I dont think you would have any problems in the durability/water resist departments.

Just a quick note: Casio has released other newer models with the screw in backs in recent years, but aside from the Frogman I think they were limited editions.

You might go to www.gshockforum.com and ask about it there as well. You will find a lot of long time collectors and users with a lot of knowledge that could probably give you a more complete answer.

3. tenmmike

tenmmike Empty Pockets

thanks for the reply . our old one was the 5600 "C" model