1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Old 3 x C Maglite.

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by ran23, Apr 20, 2019.

1. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I would like to keep this light working. 'C' are not used much here. So" 3 x Rechargeable's or Adaptor's for AA? I keep a new Fenix 2 x AA, 4 levels of light by my bed. this Mag-light had history and I want it working. So which way is most practical? lot's of AA rechargeable's in use here. thanks guys

2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

If it's just for occasional use (and sentimental reasons), I would probably go with AA to C adapters. The capacity of the AA cells will be less, so you'll have to change them out more often, but it sounds like you are already recharging AA's on a regular basis so no big deal there.

I have quite a few modern (more efficient) lights, but I still use my Mini-Maglite AA from time to time...just because;).

ran23 likes this.
  3. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Adapters or 1/2" PVC works. I think I will try that. Nice old flashlight.

4. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

AA to C adapters are readily available online and not very expensive. Are you keeping the standard bulb in the light or looking for an LED drop-in?

There are a few PR base LED drop-ins that will work. Nite-Ize has a 55 or 75 lumen that are around $8 and $15 respectively. Terralux has the TLE-6EXB for around $17 that has a higher output. Malkoff has a 3-6C upgrade that is brighter and more substantial if your willing to spend a little money.

5. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Malkoff got back to me, my light is too old. I think I did put a Nite-Ize in it years ago. will look into Terralux, thanks!

6. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I did try a terralux, but it did not work/fit, years ago from battery junction. again, too old of a light. thinking it might be more like the late 1970's.

Last edited by ran23, Apr 20, 2019
    #6 ran23, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Yeah, 'C' cells seem to be on the way out. Although I still find them. Have you tried places like Home Depot?

I have a 3 x C MagLite in the car which is only occasionally used. Haven't had to replace cells for a LONG time -- couple years at least. Yes, I check every lite in the house and the car a couple of times a year both to see they're working and to be sure leakage hasn't occurred!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ran23 likes this.
  8. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

How long ago did you try the Terralux? The earlier Terralux drop-ins had a heatsink that threaded onto the bulb socket. The newer TLE-6EXB is a direct bulb replacement that fits in the socket. The Terralux is wider than a typical PR base bulb so if the older Mag has a smaller bulb socket than later Mags that would cause a problem.

9. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Tried the Terralux about a year ago, can't seem to find them in the house. I grabbed a ebay LED, 4-24v for my Craftsman 19.2v light and my 3 x D Maglite clone, both work fine. LED didn't want to work in this C cell.

10. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

Well if all the LED options are a no-go you can still try over-driving a 2 cell bulb for a little more output. The downside of the incan bulb is that battery life is much shorter. Not sure if 3 AA rechargeables would do very well as their capacity is pretty limited compared to the draw of an incan bulb. I would suggest picking up some alkaline C cells if I didn't think they would leak and ruin your light, but my experience with alkalines has proven otherwise.

11. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I have more than a few AA rechargeables from other things in the house. that is what I am using in my Fenix E20. (I remember working a job with access to bulbs. Over-driving was fun back then with a 2 x D flashlight.) this is just a minor project, and I have 1/2" PVC pipe here.

12. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Finally cut down a piece of 1/2" PVC sprinkler pipe. works great. what! AA is a tad longer.? got it working. project done

twin63, Moshe ben David and ZMZ67 like this.