1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Okay, who asked for this?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Blackheart, May 18, 2016.

1. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Fourseven's Quark Smart Light (from an email):

With our smart Bluetooth functionality, your flashlight can now communicate with your smart phone. Just grab the FOURSEVENS Smart Flashlights App, available now on the AppStore, and pair your Quark Smart to your phone.
    [​IMG]The app will allow you to check the current battery life and remaining runtime, configure the modes, and set proximity alarms.
    And for anyone reluctant to connect their flashlight with their phone, the Quark Smart is still a fully functional Quark light even without pairing.

Warsong likes this.
  2. Nice

Nice Loaded Pockets

Love 47s lights, own a few, but this is a gimmick I think.

billybatson likes this.
  3. Blackheart

Proximity alarms?

I got a kick out of this as I was over at cpf just yesterday to try to get some more info on a new light and there were a bunch of people moaning over usb-charging of flashlights and how it made them unnecessarily complicated and how manufacturers should "keep it simple".

Last edited by Blackheart, May 18, 2016
    Nice likes this.
  4. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I can actually see something to this...

The proximity pairing would function quite similar to those TrackR devices that go on keychains. Basically, if you leave your phone somewhere (or someone grabs it without your noticing), it will sound an alarm once it gets so far from the flashlight.

The other features seem unnecessary, but not necessarily overly complicated. I think it would be nice to know if you need to charge up your flashlight without pulling the battery and checking the charge. Programming a light with a smart phone will doubtless be more intuitive than using a series of clicks and twists.

5. Blackheart

That is a good point, but... I own ONE light that's programmable. It sits in a drawer. Never again.

I don't want to have to program my toaster, either. :p

Nice likes this.
  6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Oh i noticed these over at massdrop earlier. They just look..... overly complex and indeed gimmicky. Programming lights by clicks can be a chore but lets face it, how often do you do it? I have a programmable light that i set to moonlight/low/turbo and its been at those settings for ages and if i ever need different settings i dont mind clicking a bit.

This bluetooth would only be cool if you could send morse-code messages via the light to another phone and have an app that can reverse-translate morse code blinks too with the camera or something.... or even send proper data like pictures that way ;) Yeah that'd be cool. Useless but cool.

What i do think that could be interesting on flashlights is Qi charging. No exposed contact points, no USB ports youd have to protect, none of that! Would make for some silly waterproof lights! And lots of people have those chargers already.

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't understand how USB charging adds any complications at all?
    Instead of taking the light apart to replace or recharge batteries I simply plug in to USB and it is done.
    I have a few and love that feature.

c99camper and fisk-king like this.
  8. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

I have on of the 1x123 versions of these. So far my favorite thing to do is sit it across the room and ask someone to pick iy up for me.....just as they reach it BAM strobe!

Yes, I know it evil but sometimes it's so much fun!

CarpentryHero, twin63 and c99camper like this.
  9. bob_the_bomb

bob_the_bomb Loaded Pockets

I have a really great technique to see if my torch battery is charged. I turn it on. Works like a charm!

10. c99camper

c99camper Loaded Pockets

To begin with, I have zero interest in my phone interacting with my flashlight. Having said that, this isn't, by a long shot, the worst features I've seen on a flashlight. The programming is nice and better than sending it back to 4sevens if you want something different like the current regular Quarks.

And given the amount of folks who would love it if their phone could connect to everything in their daily lives I believe it'll sell enough to open some doors for other, similar platforms.

Also, at this point 4sevens is just trying to find it's niche (again) following the forced UI change from the really popular last gen of Quarks.

I haven't had the best of luck in the past with their products, but I like the company and think that they do a good job of bringing unique stuff to the market. I also feel like they (along with a few other brands) help keep companies like Surefire and Streamlight on their toes and force them to move forward with new products, which benefit even those of us who prefer simpler stuff.

xbanker and jag-engr like this.
  11. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

But can you tell how long it will stay on? Modern LED lights tend to have flat regulation, which means the light will maintain brightness until the battery is almost depleted.

F-Bobby and xbanker like this.
  12. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I don't think it will work with my phone above.... And I'm ok with that.

13. bob_the_bomb

bob_the_bomb Loaded Pockets

Ah. That's where the SECOND cunning technique comes in...I carry a spare!

F-Bobby and xbanker like this.
  14. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

I don't think they mean complexity in use but rather complexity in build. Which is true, adding what is practically a charger into a flashlight will make it more complex which in turn increases the chance of failure. That said I love USB-rechargable flashlights for the convenience.

c99camper likes this.