1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ok who carries a sewing kit ????

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by plumberroy, Jan 15, 2015.

1. 4rmless
    • In Omnia Paratus

4rmless Loaded Pockets

Yeah, not cheap, but his stuff is generally much cheaper than alternatives. Big Zirc beads for under $50 for instance. Think this is a little more than that, but it comes with the Kevlar cord as shown.

Nice, list of contents? Mine has duct tape, superglue, zip-ties and ranger bands. I'm thinking about including some of those rivet-fit button fixing things.

Nick4305 likes this.
  2. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hi 4rmless,
    haven't a list of contents atm...
    btw remember that i have (among the visible items) some aluminium adhesive foil, some strong elastic rubber bands, a superglue, some neodymium strong magnets, four small TI holed stakes, some nails, hot glue, other smaller safety pins.some hunt wire traps...
    Two of the small bobbins are kevlar's thread, two are stainless steel trefoiled wires.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Nick

Lorenzo and 4rmless like this.
  3. lauchaAA

lauchaAA Loaded Pockets

I do carry a very basic one.
    [​IMG]

I never had to use it luckily.

T.H.Cone and Nick4305 like this.
  4. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

My wife and I each got one in our "wedding day disaster fixer" kits when we got married. Mine resides in my bag.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  5. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

better yet, who has a sewing kit & doesn't really know how to sew? *raises hand

(I can wing it, but never have gotten around to proper instruction) /)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

People who know how to sew.

Nick4305, Cprrckwlf and T.H.Cone like this.
  7. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Provably false! Especially if you look at my handi err needlework.

CatsTide and T.H.Cone like this.
  8. kleibs

kleibs Loaded Pockets

I carry a supermarket special. It has just about everything I would need. Soy sauce for scale. .
    [​IMG]

LivingUpNorth, T.H.Cone and A4VC like this.
  9. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

I carry a sewing kit and with safety pins. I could've used them when I was a kid out fishing. I split my jeans wide open drafty. I used fish hooks to wire my pants together.

kleibs and T.H.Cone like this.
  10. Harrison M

Harrison M Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking about starting to carry a small sewing/repair kit. My backpack is starting to rip in places and it would be nice to fix it on the spot rather than lug around a broken bag, lol

11. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

12. Anyday Carry

Anyday Carry Loaded Pockets

I carry two. I have light and heavy edc (standard pocket carry, and a bigger bag) I have a keychain capsule containing thread and pins, and a bobbin of thread which both love in the right hand loop of my Maxpedition. Micro.

I have one of these in my bag:
    [​IMG]

Inside:[​IMG]

The thread you can see on the octagonal spool is impossible to break (non really, I've tried everything) but easy to cut. It comes with the kit, but I added my own saddle stitch needles and waxed thread (reminds me, I need to add a small lump of wax for waxing thread) and included a broader range of needles. One of the most useful things I've ever bought, only a fiver at my local army and navy shop.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    https://www.youtube.com/user/edcisaac
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Lorenzo likes this.
  13. LongarmoftheLaw

LongarmoftheLaw Loaded Pockets

I do. Very basic consisting of a button, a tiny spool of black thread, safety pin and needle.

14. GearHunter

GearHunter Loaded Pockets

Very basic here as well couple different sized needles, couple sizes of black thread and a tube of super glue. . I could put a button back on or maybe hold a seam together but that's about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LongarmoftheLaw likes this.
  15. LongarmoftheLaw

Another tip for anyone interested in carrying a sewing kit, which I think is awesome, is to learn some useful stitches and techniques. It sounds like it goes without saying, but you'd be amazed what a crap job even clothing manufacturers do of sewing things like buttons. One of the strongest, easiest and most useful stiches is the basic back stitch. It will serve well for most basic repairs.

GearHunter and Cprrckwlf like this.
  16. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Along with the back stitch I'd take a look at a running stitch or straight stitch and a whip stitch.

Running: probably the most basic, very fast but not overly strong, especially useful when you don't have a lot of space to maneuver a needle

Whip: great for joining two pieces and closing holes, fast and fairly strong, be invisible from 1 side

Back: want access to both sides, slow but very strong, especially good for putting pieces on top of other pieces (patching)

Not a topic I know a great deal about sew if I got any of the above wrong please correct me.

Also, you'll want to know how to sew a button (of course) and one other option to look in to:

The Patagonia Expedition Sewing Kit -- this thing is awesome. It is basically a mini sewing awl (you may have seen the big wood handled one at some point) so it makes a stitch like a sewing machine would. Quick, strong and easy to undo later if need be. It is expensive but actually wouldn't be too difficult to make one yourself.

17. LongarmoftheLaw

One of the awesome benefits of living in the information age is that it's incredibly easy to learn new skills, thanks to the interwebs and our dear friend Mr. Google. I replaced the radiator in my car and saved myself about $200. I love learning to do new things. :D

GearHunter likes this.
  18. zatoichi

zatoichi Loaded Pockets

Thanks to this thread, it exposed a weakness in my EDC. I was inspired to get one via ebay.

[​IMG]

survivorman likes this.
  19. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Been in the Army... ;)

survivorman likes this.
  20. GiraffeHooves

GiraffeHooves EDC Junkie!!!!!

My sewing kit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]