1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ok who carries a sewing kit ????

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by plumberroy, Jan 15, 2015.

1. skygear

skygear Loaded Pockets

Here is what i carried

2 corks, the synthetic wine variety. Hollow one out all the way to one end leaving a bottom on it. Cut the second cork off at about 1/4 of the way down to use as a top. Hollow that out.

Inside I kept -

Piece of a ferro rod
    4 needles
    +50' of 20# test Braided Line
    Couple Lead Split Shot
    Few various sized small hooks and 2 larger hooks
    3" piece of 16 gauge 18k Gold round wire
    wax
    couple pieces of trout bait (looks like playdoh)
    tin foil
    plastic wrap

How it all fit together.

Needles and ferro rod were wound together with the braided line. Used a drill to accomplish this and to get a nice tight wrap. The wax came into play here. Taking a candle and lighting it, then running the line through the wet wax as you wound it over the rods and needles makes for a nice and tight wrap when you are finished. The wax, although minimal, could be removed from the line by pulling it through a fingernail or other object and repurposed.

Trout bait was flattened out into a paper thin configuration. So it wouldn't dry out, wrapped it in plastic wrap, then put the small square of tin foil around it. wrapped the whole thing in a calendar form and fit it around the braided loom.

Sinkers and hooks were loose in there.

the gold rod was for the keychain aspect of it and as a monetary value feature in an emergency situation. Since it is gold and wire, could be used in some medical situations too. It was bent in half with a ring me in the center. Through the top of the cork top and through the bottom of the main cork barrel. as the 2 pieces exited, Bent 90º facing each other like a staple would form. When on a keychain it was secure. Take it off, and you have a removable top.

safety pins, you can normally find them on either side of my inner pant legs near my shoes. On the inner part of one of the seams as to not interfere with normal use of pants. At one point I was taking the safety pins and bending them 90º, wrapping a needle onto the inner shank using thread until the whole needle was covered. \\

Buttons I do as the manufacturer does on a nice new shirt. I sew in spare buttons on clothes that have or need them.

My thought on the hooks is this. You can easily catch a small greedy fish with a small hook and a piece of the trout bait. Use it as a meal or as a bait for a larger wiser fish. The young tend to be an easier catch.

Line could be used to sew clothes, wounds, used as trip wire or binding for other projects. The possibilities are endless. Being it is 20# makes it far superior to just carrying thread.

Cork used as a floater.

USAGE - I have in the past used all of the things in there. TSA was ever so nice to relieve me of it on a trip at one point. They were 'in' enough to let me remove my gold wire out of it once I explained what it actually was. All the other things were a no no.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  2. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

I carry an "a plus survival sewing kit". Super slim and easy to tuck away in my bag.

it has come in useful more than once.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  3. chrisr

chrisr Loaded Pockets

I keep a threaded needle inside an inch long piece of velcro. Outside attached to the velcro is a small safety pin. That is all I've ever needed in an emergency. The velcro keeps the needle enclosed so that it doesn't stick me or attach to anything else in my purse.

4. GiraffeHooves

GiraffeHooves EDC Junkie!!!!!

I do. Always good to be prepared.

5. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I do not EDC one, but I bring my repair kit when I go off the beaten track for a couple of days. In addition to the usual needles, thread and safety pins, it contains a few pieces of Cordura, some cord, a short length of webbing, an extra snap buckle for rucksacks etc., an extra zipper terminal, a couple of screws (for ski bindings and such) and a few small nails, all carried in an old pipe tobacco tin.

6. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

I carry a Gear Aid sewing kit, or the equivalent items, most of the time (generally in my "spares" bag in the car). In my backpack I probably have a Patagonia Explorer Sewing Kit, which is fantastic (but expensive) with its little hand awl. It also takes up next to no room. With either I generally have a supplemental bobbin of pre-waxed twine and a couple of sailmaker needles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. 4rmless
    • In Omnia Paratus

4rmless Loaded Pockets

I've been considering getting a Patrick Ober titanium spool, but I'm not sure it's really a space saver, more an organiser.

[​IMG]

Currently my kit is in a plastic envelope, it's small and flat, but large and messy (often stab myself on stuff!), might be worth getting the spool just to stop that!

8. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

I have one of those small sewing kits you get from hotels that is about the size of a credit card in my wallet. Have had to use it a few times, just replace the thread and all is good.

stbear and T.H.Cone like this.
  9. Daniel T

Daniel T Loaded Pockets

Yep, same here. I stay in hotels a lot and now have a few of these.

Used infrequently, invaluable when I have needed it.

Dan

LivingUpNorth and ace19636 like this.
  10. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

I also have one of these Hotel kits in my EDC organizer bag.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  11. meds081603
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

meds081603 Loaded Pockets

I carry a small one. Most of my altoids kits also have a needle or two and thread included.

GiraffeHooves likes this.
  12. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

I swipe them from hotel rooms and have one in my altoids kit, I think another in my first aid kit

13. stbear

stbear Loaded Pockets

Have a few hotel kits in various bags.

14. jemhouston
    • +2 Supporter

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

You're not swiping it, you paid it for it in the room fee.

cheeser likes this.
  15. Treya

Treya Loaded Pockets

I hate sewing, but I hate missing buttons more. Carry a small sewing kit in my handbag and keep one at work. Have also stapled a few hems on my skirts or pants if some stitches broke, worked great. Just coloured the staples with black marker as/when needed. Why sew when I can staple? Some of the items in the kits can be used for more than sewing repairs so its handy.

GiraffeHooves and cheeser like this.
  16. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

I do think that way actually. I also take soap and shampoo for when I'm in crappy hotels that don't provide it lol

GiraffeHooves likes this.
  17. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry one im my Maxpedition Micro pocket organizer.
    Contents:
    >2 needles
    >cotton thread
    >silk thread
    >3 strand paracord
    >1 strand paracord
    >all is holding by a latex band, you guess from what :).
    [​IMG]SAM_0351 by ihatebottleopeners, on Flickr

GiraffeHooves, T.H.Cone and Nick4305 like this.
  18. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I love it.

nick nitro and 4rmless like this.
  19. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry one in my BOB, but it's not that light as other shown here.
    There a lot of non-sewing stuff inside this tin btw, as you can see.
    I named it "hold and fix" on the lid.

[​IMG]
    Nick4305's EDC