1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

OK Eric, can you sew this?

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by tacticalchef, Feb 12, 2012.

1. tacticalchef

tacticalchef Loaded Pockets

I am looking forward to receiving my Skinth SP and Skinth XL.

I took a look at the Skinth Dot.com. It is a great pouch but it is a little small for my specific need. In the various Skinth threads there were some references thrown around about a multimeter.

I purchased the pouch photographed below in 1981 from an EMS supplier and it served me well in its role carrying my stethoscope, BP cuff, scissors, penlight, and myriad other EMS related tools until I left that field. After a lengthy disinfection, I re-tasked it and has been serving as my “first level” electrical troubleshooting and installation pouch. It rides on my dash and I loop it over my belt whenever I get out of my truck.

It has had a good run since 1981 but the seams are giving out and the fabric on the bottom is flat out worn thru. The manufacturer no longer makes this item and I think “we” here could come up with something better.

[​IMG]

I like this pouch format for a number of reasons:

• It holds a lot more tools than it initially appears – including a multimeter.
    • There is a flap that covers the contents so they don't fall out if I am crawling thru an attic or crawlspace. They do not snag if I am climbing a ladder.
    • With the flap covered, it is relatively low profile. I do not look like a lineman walking thru an office or residence.
    • The belt attachment on the back allows it to be secured without opening the pant's belt.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what I carry in it now:

[​IMG]

The triplett multimeter, cables, tic-tracer, and the small, precision screwdrivers ride in the rear zippered compartment.

The original measurements are 5” wide x 9” High x 2-1/2” deep. I am envisioning it a little bigger because things are cramped. I have sketched a prototype below. (Drawing not to scale - exactly)

[​IMG]

I was thinking about sewing this myself, but I can sew about as well as I can draw. I can get the job done, but it ain't pretty.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I recently tried the Nite Ize Hip Pock-Its and it was a miserable failure for my application. The flap that covers the pouch is always in the way. To get to any tools you have to unzip the main compartment and the meter is right in the middle of everything.[/FONT]

On this drawn prototype, the open area is at least one inch deeper than the original to allow for more tools and better organization under the flap closure area. I have a couple of ideas for organization under the flap: either sewn in open pockets as drawn or a kydex insert that could be changed as the load/needs changed. The kydex would also reduce the wear on the bottom.

I also envision small pockets with velcro closure on each side below the zipper. Additionally, “D” rings on the top of the side panels would allow it to be carried with a shoulder strap when the need arises or direct connection to safety harness.

In a recent conversation with Eric, he indicated that his fingers were not numb or bleeding yet. Maybe he is up to the challenge?

In the collaborative spirit of this EDC forum - does anybody have any ideas or suggestions to add?

Is anyone else interested in this pouch? Could be for this purpose, EMS, or a variety of other tasks?

As this is not really skinny - does this fit in the Skinth series? Anybody have an idea for a name?

2. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

It may not be skinny, but I can make it as skinny as I can.

This won't be cheap...the :censored: zippers are a lot of work and there is a lot of small details, this looks like a modified GP pouch with a button snap belt loop and flap.

Hrmm....

I'll let people chime in, this maybe a good project for Prototype Sunday in March, I will be away on location for a week away from the shop as of next weekend (feb 20-28)

3. Signmaker

Signmaker Loaded Pockets

Could be done, would have to sew it up like a double clamshell backpack. As long as there isn't anything needed on the inside of the zippered pocket, the main body is pretty straightforward. The side pocket and flap would be tricky, as it would have to jump across two "side" sections. It would have to be done as a self-contained pouch, and then sew each vertical edge to it's respective "side" section. Might not be the worst idea, because it would be a hidden sleeve that could be used as a quicky pliers holster.

Might want to move the D-rings to the back side of the main pouch, as 2" of depth is going to be pretty much filled up by the zipper and it's stitching.

What color were you looking for? I might pick up some material and give a prototype a shot.

4. Sailsmaker89

Sailsmaker89 Loaded Pockets

Could do it as a 2 piece and marry them after.. 1 6x9 pouch and 1 3 x 6 bowl or cap assembly

the 6 x 9 would have the 5 tool loops on its outer face
    the 3x6 would have the side pockets and tool lops on its inner and outer face and Velcro (hook) for the flap, I put the LOOP on the easier side to sew for the inevitable replacement when it dies..

then you insert the 6x9 into the 3x6 bowl and sew from inside the 6x9 and snap,for the belt loop. this would also cause a double bottom for the 6x9 and you could always line the bottom of the 3x6 with a piece when you add the pockets to the outside which also stiffens the outer layer. sort of an out and over and back under the 6x9 sewn to the sides..

I can visualize back wall,bottom,front with Velcro and 5 pockets, turn, 2 tool loops,inner bottom and end under where the 6x9 will be sewn in place. and the sides made up with the pouches on them already as was said before lots of little pieces but this may be a layout option.

As far as the D-rings,as Signmaker noted moving to the back would be better, or even perhaps consider a MOLLE type attachment method as that opens up more mounting possibilities and takes up little space. Could be integrated into the belt loop much like my MaxPed M-2

Hope this helps and I thank you for giving a retired old sail maker a mental exercise

John

5. Signmaker

Signmaker Loaded Pockets

How about a back panel laid out like this? Would allow for easy on/off for a belt up to 2" wide, as well as MOLLE compatable, and has the two D rings for a shoulder/neck strap.
    [​IMG]

6. Signmaker

Signmaker Loaded Pockets

Well I'm letting the machine cool down for the night. Have a neat little prototype on the way, even clamped it together to take some teaser pics, but lost my darn card reader!

Basically built a 9x6x2 general purpose pouch, and added an 8x5x1 pleated pocket and lid to the front. Going to end up with 5x2x2 pockets on either side, unsure if I'll give them lids, or just leave them open, either way they'll be good for multimeter leads and the like. Main compartment will just have a flat sleeve in the back, about 6x5, good enough for a note pad or smaller tool organization. The rear attachment method...will need pics to explain. Definitely a prototype attachment, but I think it'll work perfectly for it's intended use.

Hopefully tomorrow night will see it finished. So excited to see the final result, as this is the most complex bag I've built yet.