1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ohio Man Brings Gun To Theater - Maxpedition Bag

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by LausDeo, Aug 8, 2012.

1. lordhamster

lordhamster Loaded Pockets

IMO the right to carry firearms is an extension of property rights. I have a right to defend my property at home and when I'm traveling in public. However, that right can only exist if we respect the same rights of others.

As much as I dislike it, I do support the right of private businesses to determine the carry status in their business. Just as we have a right to not patronize their establishment, they should be able to set the rules of entry.

Some here say that the constitution trumps private property rights, but it actually has nothing to do with individuals or businesses. The constitution is quite simply an instrument to control the power and scope of the federal government. But all that aside, lets look at a less hotly debated amendment than the 2nd.

Everyone from all parties agrees with the first amendment right? Does that mean that a theater patron can enter a theater wearing a shirt covered in vulgarities with the theater owner having no recourse? Can the same patron stand up in the middle of a movie screening and sing the star spangled banner? Of course not. Private property differs from "public" property in two fundamental areas:

#1. You have a choice.
    #2. You aren't forced to pay for it.

jag-engr likes this.
  2. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Exactly.

3. Max Archer

Max Archer Loaded Pockets

This is part of why I carry a nondescript Timbuk2 messenger instead of something like a Maxped. I could have an MP5K in there and nobody would ever suspect a thing.

4. Firedrow

Firedrow Loaded Pockets

While the profiling sounds ridiculous, court issues would arise depending on his state. In Missouri there are limits to what buildings you can carry into (federal/local government, schools, etc), but if a public facility (such as a theater or Wal-Mart) was to post signs banning weapons on their property they have to meet very specific standards on what that sign must say and how it must look and where it must be posted. Otherwise they have no legal right to bar you entrance or service. The course I took does suggest that if someone politely asks you to leave then leave quietly, don't be a dick just because you can be.

5. TX expat

TX expat Loaded Pockets

Not sure what you were told in class but the Missouri weapons statutes that cover the signage for private property isn't what I would call "very specific". It has to be a minimum of 11x14 inches, displayed in a conspicuous location and any writing must be at least 1". That's pretty much all it says. It's pretty open to whatever a private property owner wants to do, it just has to be big enough to see... Texas used to have (and may still have) pretty specific signage requirements where the actual statute numbers and specific wording had to be used.

They were right in suggesting that you leave any property that you are asked to because that's the only real teeth for the private property owner. You aren't actually violating any state laws if you take your gun into a building that prohibits concealed carry (unless you are violating Federal law), but they do have the right to ask you to leave their property. If you don't leave, they can basically have you charged with trespassing. Doing that enough can get your CCW suspended for a while, so it's best to just leave if you are asked, even if you don't see any gun busters signs.