1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ohio Man Brings Gun To Theater - Maxpedition Bag

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by LausDeo, Aug 8, 2012.

1. LausDeo

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

Since we are all familiar with EDC, I kind of wondered what everyone's thoughts were on this guy bringing a gun and a couple of knives to the movie theater. I don't intend to start a politcal discussion, I was just curious if anyone else had heard of this? Thsi guy was sporting one of those Maxpedition side bags from what I saw on the news earlier this morning.

The labeled him a "survivalist" and even searched his home and discovered more weapons, knives, body armor, ect. Now they are deciding whether to press charges or not considering the movie theater has a rule against firearms. It was the Dark Knight Rises he was seeing and it does appear he took it with him for protection but was he being paronoid? Should he have carried it on his person instead of a bag?

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-batman-arrest-20120807,0,6641095.story

2. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

Spotted because of the bag!!!!! Beware those who love Maxpediddlies! You are now potential mass murderers, survivalist kooks, and terrorist plotters with time spent in a secret special forces squad!!!!

3. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

If guns aren't allowed, and he took one in, he deserves whatever comes his way legally. Also, he was carrying concealed illegally. Lawyer's excuse is garbage. If you're afraid to go to the movies for fear of being shot, don't go to the movie.

The guy is just making it harder for concealed carry citizens who actually follow the rules.

4. LausDeo

LausDeo Loaded Pockets

I'm inclined to agree with you nbmain2007, regardless I think carrying the bag was a bit excessive and.. they are pretty well known brand name of bags. The cop was probably familiar with them, or they just scream "there is a gun inside me".

I could see maybe, maybe having it on your person under your shirt or something if you are really that worried about that sort of thing. It's interesting to note they went as far as searching his house, the news was pretty quick to label him a "survivalist" and to mention all the others "items" that were probably legal but discovered in his possession, they said when his wife was questions she said "he's into that sort of thing". Just interesting I suppose.

5. nbmaine2007

You shouldn't be able to justify breaking the law due to the fact that you're scared something could happen. If that was the case, we'd might as well not have laws.

I do agree with you on the search of the house. I'm sure the cops, and the media would totally spin that out of control. But he deserves everything that comes his way for being a bonehead.

gern_blanston likes this.
  6. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I haven't seen anything that says for sure whether he had a permit or not. My opinion of the media is such that if he did, we'd never hear about it. Fact is that nothing happened and speculation as to what might have happened, is only speculation.

There is another thread on this HERE.

He may have been a nutball with evil intentions, chances seem much better that he was an average guy with a permit or perhaps an otherwise average guy who lacked judgement in this instance.

The lesson I'm taking away from all this is that if you carry a gun and wear a waistpack, use the waistpack as a decoy and keep the gun somewhere else.

LukeK likes this.
  7. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

For what it's worth, if I lived somewhere that allowed CCW and I was going to see the movie, I'd likely want to bring protection with me as well. The Theater and Police can't protect everyone from nuts like that guy and who is to say that there won't be any copy-cats.

That being said, he could have done a better job at concealing the firearm..

Also, I think anyone with a "tacticool" bag likely gets (mis)labeled as a survivalist pretty often, I'm sure my Tad Gear gets me looks, I just don't pay attention to them ;)

92hummer and LukeK like this.
  8. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

If having knives and guns in your home is bad than just call me bad then. A business that has a sign saying ''''no firearms" means what it says and you should follow the rules.

9. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I've thought for a long time that carrying CCW in a tactical looking bag is a bad idea unless you just want attention. Carry on your person or go with a non-tactical looking carry system like 5.11's COVRT line. Oh, and it's your right to stay out of businesses and other locations that prohibit firearms. So really no excuse to not obey the law.

10. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Well put! Even if this guy had a CCW permit, he was apparently carrying somewhere that it was specifically not allowed. I don't understand his thought process on that decision. It sounds like maybe he's hoping to be a hero more that scared for his safety. If you were scared for your safety, you'd just wait for the DVD...

If you feared for your life somewhere like the subway, that's one thing, but this guy was going to the movies. Unless he is a movie critic, he did not have any reason that he had to go there. As nbmaine2007 stated above,...

11. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

What he should have done was not consent to the search and then volunteer to leave. I'm not familiar with Ohio CCW law. I know in OK, if someone posts no firearms and you choose to ignore that, all they can do is ask you to leave. It might be considered trespassing maybe. That's the thing about CCW, if you're doing it right, no one should know you have it.

SAKplumber, Kripto and DBR like this.
  12. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Yeah, you should but the law shouldn't allow public access businesses to deny you your rights. It's a basic, civil right as far as I'm concerned. If you don't want armed people in your home, your private property rights trumps their Second Amendment rights. Not so with a business open to the public. But I wouldn't have done what he did. I wouldn't want to give that business my money, for one thing. :)

Cynt and SAKplumber like this.
  13. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Wisdom. Both points. :)

14. ww2fanatic

ww2fanatic Loaded Pockets

I live in Ohio and heard this on the news. He had 3 knives in the bag and 1 in his pocket.

15. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

It's just yellow journalism and excites the Oprahites and Jerry Springer-roids in society.

keith1234, JayAbsurd and xtrajack like this.
  16. nbmaine2007

The same private property rights obviously need to extend to businesses also. The fact that it is open to the public doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to set their own rules. You don't need to go in there.

17. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Would you agree that someone attacked on their property should be able to sue them, then?

18. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

That will be coming up fairly soon, just you wait. Failure to provide a safe enviroment for consumers?

SAKplumber and keith1234 like this.
  19. nbmaine2007

You can sue someone for anything.

20. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I think jurisdictions that disarm their Citizens by not allowing "shall issue" concealed carry laws or allow public-access businesses to prohibit Citizens from exercising their right should be held accountable for their decisions, too.