1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Oh man, something else to find pocket space for...

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Balog, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Balog

Balog Loaded Pockets

After months of lusting over it, I finally picked up a brand new S&W M&P 340. I've always carried a 10+1 .45 before (Springfield XD Tactical Compact) so going to a 5 shot .357 has been an interesting experience.

Haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet (I know I know, it's terrible to carry it before it's tested) but I'm enjoying it so far. I have a few different sets of grips I'm hoping to try out: Hogue Bantam and Monogrip, Pachmayr Compac, and of course the stock grips. :) Not totally sure how to swap the grips yet, I need to look into that more.

I've been pocket carrying, either bare or in a Mika. Love that little Mika, what a great holster!

Even though it's great to be able to drop it into a pocket and go, I think I want to try an IWB crossdraw. Either hand access, draw while sitting, and of course free up space in my pockets. :)

2. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

if you've never shot the .357 in a short barrelled revolver...you should ASAP - it's a FINE weapon, but VERY different from shooting an XD - and I don't mean just the mindset of having only 5 rounds before a reload either.

I carry the G27 or G26 daily with the Ruger LCR as a BUG- granted it's only a .38...but it's a howler compared to either of the G's...and POA and POI is something you gotta get the feel for.

you'll get creamed by many for carrying it bare...you already know it's not a great idea, stick to the mika for safety....the mika is wonderful, I have a Nemesis for winter (coat pocket) carry for the LCR.

My LCR back up rides (lately) in a Kramer Confidant undershirt holster...very easy and not in your pants pockets.

ok...all that said....WAY to GO on the new gun!! that's a sweet wheelie! (maybe some pics in the gun thread? :)

3. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

Congrats on the new 340!!
    I have the M&P 360 and LOVE IT!
    .357's are pretty brutal on the webbing of the hands, but overall it's a sweet handgun. I generally use .38's when shooting, but always add .357's into the mix to learn to deal and be prepared with more powerful loads .
    The grips are VERY easy to swap. There is either one of 2 screws in the grip, remove them and pry the 2 parts apart.
    I personally have 2 sets of the Crimson Trace laser grips. the plastic one feels nicer in the hand (to me) and the ones with the rubber texture and rubber backstrap to cushion the webbing of your hand.
    The "rubber textured" one is a bit skinny but does seem to help lessen the felt recoil of .357 rounds.
    The night sight is a nice addition and is very visible at night when your eyes are night adapted.

I love S&W firearms!

4. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I always try to remember that the target's still getting the worse end of the deal.

I have a Ruger SP-101 with a 3" barrel, and it's a real handful with full-power loads, and it's on the heavy side for a 5-shooter. I've shot .357's in a lightweight 2" S&W, and I can't say it was in any way pleasant.

If your life's on the line, sore hands are the least of your concerns. But such a hard-kicking fire-breather can discourage you from practicing as much as you should.

5. trickyasafox

trickyasafox Loaded Pockets

just as an aside- I carry a spare 6 rounds when I carry a revolver in a little dump pouch. You can often find these in the used bin at gun shops for a few dollars- or you can still by them new:

http://www.7xleather.com/ammo_carriers
    I've used the pouches on the link for a while and they are good as well. I'd look used first though (assuming you even want to carry spare ammo)
    (i don't get a cut from their sales, yada yada general disclaimer about not hocking their wares)

6. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Like some of the others said, get that gun to the range and tryit out. Brutal was an accurate description of the recoil from the Scandium 357'. I had an M&P 340, which was great in the pocket, but not at the range. It was okay with practice rounds, but with hot self defense loads, I had a hard time getting through a couple of cylinder without taking a break. Traded it for a 642, which has decent but tolerable recoil. Not knocking the gun. Maybe you can handle the recoil, but my point is that you will really need to practice with a Scandium gun to become proficient. It is not an easy to shoot firearm. On the other hand my 2 1/4 SP101 in 357, was a pleasure to shoot in contrast.

7. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

Mine is 442 flavored (.38). Rides in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

[​IMG]

8. jwhite75

jwhite75 Loaded Pockets

I have the same gun in a Desantis Nemesis, for pocket carry, and a Galco Summer special for the rare occasion I want to belt carry it. Make sure you shoot it soon.
    It is quite recoil heavy. But is a powerhouse. Very light and unnoticeable though. Congrats

9. Gimik

Gimik Empty Pockets

yeah you REALLY need to take this gun to the range and test it out with full powered .357 mag if that's what you're going to carry. Imagine catching a full swung bat with your bare hands... that's about as close as I can come to how uncomfortable it is to shoot.

I carry the same weapon, but I only load .38+p in it. I just can't trust myself with full powered .357. The desantis nemesis pocket holster is the best btw.

[​IMG]