1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Oh come on!

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Dill, Aug 25, 2006.

1. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

But then again if it isn't it would.
    I hope you live a long and happy life but you miss the point my Rolex is worth more than I paid for it so it has cost me nothing the $200 watches are not as good and cost $200 every time they break.
    Of course it comes down to what you like and yes property is a better investment but unfortunately I live in the UK so $10,000 would buy 5% of a parking space or maybe a brick or two.   :( Maybe I should sell the watch and emigrate

2. vetkaw63

vetkaw63 Empty Pockets

WOW,
    So many people with so many issues! I don't worry what other people think, I wear what I want. With that thought, I'm not even going to say what my preference is!!
    Mike

3. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Welcome to EDCF, vetkaw63!

Karen

4. Goldtanker

Goldtanker Empty Pockets

Hi Mike, and welcome!

Denny

5. vetkaw63

vetkaw63 Empty Pockets

Thanks,
    I appreciate the welcome.
    Mike

6. HPDSNYPER

HPDSNYPER Loaded Pockets

A watch is a very peronal thing for some people.  The way I see it is....If you like it!  Buy it!  Don't worry about what anyone else has to say about it.  They didn't buy it for you.

"SEE IT, LIKE IT, BUY IT, THEN ENJOY IT" O0

7. jafo

jafo Empty Pockets

well said- and for the record I wasn't suggesting otherwise. Just stating my personal opinion on the matter.

8. SF1

SF1 Banned

Nothing wrong with spending money on Rolex watches. I have built a Rolex collection over the past 20 years, and it is worth quite a bit now.

If you like something and have the means to buy it there is nothing wrong with it. I buy one or two Rolex watches every year, and really enjoy them. I do, get tired of people telling me that a cheap watch will... this and that. I own a very successful business, and have earned the ability to buy them.

Really this is a personal taste issue, and I never comment on someone's timepiece. Inexpensive watches are fine too.

I do think a man should have at least one good swiss watch. After owning Rolex watches since 1983, I still love putting mine on every day after my shower, they are that nice.

Best,

SFO

9. oceanbeamer

oceanbeamer Empty Pockets

10. iced_theater

iced_theater Empty Pockets

If I had the expendable money to purchase a Rolex, I still wouldn't but that's just because I don't like their style too much. I'd rather buy a Ulysee Nardin or Corum

11. CMAX

CMAX Empty Pockets

Hi all,been lurking here since the site started,figured it was time to get my feet wet.To old to try to impress anyone but myself anymore.Been wearing a Casio DW-560 G-Shock since 1988 when I started filling cryogens into MRI magnets.Magnetic strength up to two Tesla and it has not had any negative effects on the watch or battery life.Retired the first watch about 6 years ago and bought the same thing again. Have a Seiko and Waltham for the rare occasion I need to wear something a little more fancy.

12. Goldtanker

Goldtanker Empty Pockets

Hi CMAX-

Glad you finally decided to sign in. ;D Welcome to EDCF!

Denny

13. mikeymoto

mikeymoto Loaded Pockets

It's not clear what this thread is for. Are you looking for suggestions? If so, I recommend a Marathon GSAR. It will take a beating, it is mechanical (automatic ETA 2824-A2), and it is well-illuminated. Personally I value accuracy over danger of EMR exposure, so I wear a TSAR. I have a Marathon auto and like it, but it loses over a minute a week, which I do not like. My quartz Marathon is far more accurate. The TSAR is in this pic:

[​IMG]

What about watches with rechargeable batteries? The Casio G-Shock atomic solar will serve you very well:

[​IMG]

If this thread is about bashing watches that cost a lot, well, ok. :D All I can say is, whatever floats yer boat!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<a href="http://flickr.com/photos/mikeymoto/sets/72057594076742548/">More watch photos</a>

14. CMAX

CMAX Empty Pockets

Denny, thanks for the welcome.Looks like I found my way home. Dave

15. Buffalohump

Buffalohump Loaded Pockets

Ahhh... here's a good one. Having started my forum life over at watchuseek and timezone I can assure you that EDC is a haven of good sense when it comes to wristwatches. There are people out there who can spend enough money on watches to keep several African countries in prime rib for a year. I myself descended into horological madness last year and by the time I came to my senses i had a modest collection of five autos and one digital. What have I learned from this experience? It's all relative. Some say its nuts to spend that much on a watch, but you can apply the same logic to anything. But we are a consumerist society and people will never be satisfied with what they have - there is always one more peak to climb. That being said, I do get enjoyment out of my timepieces, although I feel you can purchase a perfectly good Rolex lookalike that is beautifully made and very well engineered for a third of the price. The company is Marcello C and as someone who owns one of their pieces I can truthfully say they are well worth the money. It is common knowledge that the best value for money autos these days are made by the Germans. To be honest, though, I do have my days when I am compelled to sell the lot and buy a Casio DW-5600 (the original G-shock) that can run off solar power.

16. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I bought a TAG Heuer because I always wanted one, and could afford it at the time. I searched high and low to find the PERFECT TAG for ME. I did not buy it to impress anyone. I liked it, and it was a dream watch. I have been wearing it everyday for the 6+ years.

Hi and WELCOME CMAX & vetkaw63!!!

17. watchman

watchman Empty Pockets

Yes I like Rolex's I have a SUB that I got new in 1965. For the outrageous at the time price of 200.00.
    This watch has been a day-lee warier seance new. How many cheep watches have you bought in
    that time. :D ;D :highfive:

18. SF1

SF1 Banned

What ever you do, don't buy a fake Rolex!

I hate counterfit watches.

Best,

SF!

19. iced_theater

iced_theater Empty Pockets

You might hate counterfit's but I'm sure there are thousands who would rather have the "look" of Rolex without the price. But I'm sure there are fakes of most of the more expensive brands. If your just afraid of purchasing a fake, I'd just buy from a reputable dealer.

20. SF1

SF1 Banned

All of my Rolex watches were bought ad authorized dealers.  I have been collecting for 23 years, and have no worries about ever buying a fake, or having a fake in my collection.

I hate them because it is theft of another company's design or IP.  It is illegal to sell counterfeit watches, and I have no respect for those who sell or buy fake brand name items whatever they are.

Best,

SF1