1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Oh come on!

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Dill, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Dill

Dill Empty Pockets

First lets say you are not out to impress the ladys :smitten:.

Next you want a watch to tell you the time. Not to replace your GPS and alt / temp guage or your PDA :help:.

First battery operated watchs are not trustworthy. Why do I say this. EMF! Electracal Magnedic Force! A nuce or walk too close to a high voltage lines <(This is from experence) or a large magnet.

Next Dependalby! A watch you have to wind every few days will not be effected by EMF.
    They do not need the batteried changed.
    If kept wound they tell you just what your battery operated watch tells you. The Time!

I have a Waltham, I have had for a few years and it runs as good today as when I bought it for $3.00 at the flee market. and loos real nice clipped to my belt loop.

I just sent a friends son in the Army a Military issue watch, I was issued back in 1990. The army does issue watches but they are wind up Timex watches. The reason the army issues wind up watches? EMF!

If you must impress someone. Get a Rolex! They are self winding or you can get the ones you have to wind.

I know this is the Every Day Carry Sight. But come on guys, if you want to impress someone asking about a watch you will be paying more for then what it cost to feed you for a week? You are doing a poor job of impressing anyone but yourself!

Sorry about the ranting! I'll stay out of the watch area from now on if you like!

Don

2. Jim101

Jim101 Empty Pockets

Watches are a very personal thing, my opinion. I (as have stated in other threads) love Seiko divers watches, big, bulky and the one I have on now has an orange face (Orange Monster).......I work with a guy that has a Rolex, cost:$18,000 (it was a gift from his father in law) not for me though. He likes to impress people, with $$........$18K can buy most of a new car............

Jim

3. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Watches are funny things, most people just want them to tell time but with technology and customer demands they've gotten as bad as VCRs.  Straight up, if my battery powered watch has stopped due to a nuke EMP, I've got bigger worries than telling what time it is. ;D

As for high dollar mechanical watches, well craftsmanship doesn't come cheap so there are watches that are like a Rolls Royce, you can get to work and back in your 9 year old Mazda but it's not a Rolls.  Different folks put importance in different areas.  I have friends that wouldn't be caught dead using a $100 pen and there are others that never leave home without their Montblanc.

I don't know what exactly triggered your post but just remember that we are a diverse and growing group of people with varied interests.  If we weren't it would be kind of boring IMO.  If you are looking for advice on an inexpensive mechanical watch just ask and I'm sure someone out there will be able to help you.  I have a couple of Seiko auto winders that I like but they cost ~$70 which is again more than some of my friends would ever pay for a time piece, different strokes.

No need to stay out of the watch area just try to understand that there are differences that's all.

Cheers,
    -LT

4. Lurkr

Lurkr Loaded Pockets

That's the Truth, Ruth!

If I EVER spent more than $175.00 (yes, planning an orange monster purchase, I am) on a watch:

1. my wife, who is usually very understanding of my addictions, would kill me, or
    2. I'd break/scratch and/or lose the same watch within 48 hours - such is my luck.

Yeah, a submariner would be nice, but d*mn, I'd rather have a new car - it's just more practical.

5. Lee1959

Lee1959 Empty Pockets

I believe the army isues Marathon watches, not Timex's. As far as EMP, like was said, if that occurs, a watch is my least worry.

And personally, I do not buy watches to impress anyone, I buy them because I like them.

6. mwelch8404

mwelch8404 Loaded Pockets

I buy watches to impress... ME!

Hmmm, yes, quartz watches are susceptable to EMP, but I'd rather know the correct time on a day to day basis with little or no worries, than the 0.000000000000001 chance my wristwatch will atually be hit by EMP.

Course, I guess if that happens I'll actually break out my great grandpa's old conductors watch and set it to noon by the sun.

7. hanzo

hanzo Empty Pockets

I would gladly trade anyone a new Submariner for a new car, straight up!

Hey Lurkr, is your avatar from Splinter Cell? I am reading that book now.

8. Lurkr

Lurkr Loaded Pockets

Hanzo -

It most certainly is. I have also read the book - thought it was decent reading, but still kinda found the game itself more intriguing. But for what it is (reading for fun, not information), it surely hit the spot.

9. Xochi

Xochi Empty Pockets

I've spent alot on flashlights and to be honest, I find telling people how much a light cost , embarassing. When I see someone with a rolex or some other really expensive watch, I honestly think of them as foolish and vain. I know that's really a silly prejudice and I try to put things into perspective that money is a temporary thing and if someone has worked hard for something they should feel okay with enjoying the fruits of their labour (unless it get's out of hand , of course). The foolish thing is just my first impression.

10. Lurkr

Lurkr Loaded Pockets

Until you realize that your first impression is usually correct. Oh? You weren't talking to me? Oh, well, then, nevermind....

11. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

When I originally bought my Rolex Submariner it wasn't to impress anyone or show off...I had always wanted one and had the ability to buy it so I did. I never intended it to be a dust collector and it has been on my wrist for the last 3 years. I've heard all the negative Rolex stuff; they don't keep good time, they're fragile, they're all hype, etc...but mine has been the best watch I've ever owned, and it will be the last watch I ever own O0

Watches are very personal items and are subject to personal needs, wants and whims. YMMV :)

12. kamkazmoto

kamkazmoto Empty Pockets

I've worn the same stainless and gold Rolex Date for over 20 years. It is the only watch that I own. It was a gift and I was reluctant to wear it because I thought that people would think that I was "showing off". After all these years it is now a part of me. I wear it 24 hours a day and take it in for service about every 6 or 7 years. Still runs great and still looks great.

13. copykat

copykat Loaded Pockets

I'd buy the car too but the car will be worth about $500 in 10 years. the submariner????
    A car is the worst investment next to a computer so I say
    drive a $500 junker and wear a Rolex.
    In 10 years youll be glad you did.
    yes do as i say not as i do, thats how I learned it :D

14. jafo

jafo Empty Pockets

I wear a Dakota. Yep, Cheap watch out of the mall. Well, maybe it's only cheap in comoparison to the Rolexes...

I have several Dakotas- including the REQ Torch which I lusted over since they were new. They dropped the price to $200, and I said wrap it up....

have since bought 4 other Daks. Quite stylish, and very good timekeepers for my needs.

Each their own. My initial take on it when I see is a Rolex is someone's vain. However, you all make good points on each side of the issue.

You want an investment? Put the 18 grand into a house, or education.

15. Glock19

Glock19 Loaded Pockets

I wear my father's (previously his father's) 1953 Omega Seamaster. To be honest, I am very impressed with it's time keeping ability. I "have" to set it about once a month or so because it's off by 1 minute. 1 minute/month seems pretty good to me. I do have to wind it every morning though. Not a big deal, part of the ritual of putting it on.

I have no idea what it's market worth is, surely less than what it's worth to me. I remember my old man wearing this until about the mid 80s when it "broke". I always like it because of it's uniquness, it's one of the rarer Seamasters that has a seperate dial for the second hand. I hadn't seen it since until my dad had it repaired by Omega and gave it to me as a Christmas gift last year.

16. lcranston

lcranston Loaded Pockets

I don't own a watch more than $200.00, but it doesn't matter how much you spend on a watch and don't think there is anything wrong with showing off or whatever personal reason someone has for owning a more expensive watch.

17. infrared

infrared Empty Pockets

Up until a year ago I had a Marathon watch-the "commander" I believe it was called-bought it from Shomer-tec about five years ago.Very dependable until I needed a new battery.After it was changed the seal of course was broke and about a month later it got a little too wet and stopped working.So now I've got two Wenger Swiss military watches-also battery run but the back seems to screw on and off allowing for a seal (presumably) that will still work after the battery is changed.Seems a little more important than worrying about an EMP. I feel if I run across a magnet big enough to mess with my watch and don't get away fast then it's my fault.As for EMP itself-most likely scenario is a nuclear blast in which if I'm close enough for my watch to get effected I'll have more pressing concerns at the moment than what time it is.For me and a watch-the ability to stay water proof is a more pressing survival concern.But that's just my 2 cents.

18. ghostrider1

ghostrider1 Empty Pockets

You want simple, functional, and non0-magnetic. Get a Sinn 656. I did and love it.

19. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

Like they said my Casio is far more accurate than any wind/self wind including my Rolex. It also never needs batteries or winding. It is probably far more reliable than a cheap wind up manual watch since it has far fewer moving parts. It also has some useful functions. The barometer and compass get a lot of use and the altimiter will be handy climbing Mt Toubkal in the Atlas mountains next week. My GPS will do this but it needs batteries. This is far more useful to me than being proof against EMP. If The Casio gets knocked out in an EMP I'll just loot an automatic Seiko or 2 in the post holocaust caos. :lolhammer:

As has been pointed out by others I have MADE money on my Rolex so I am better off than if I had bought a car or a cheaper watch which would have needed to have been replaced several times over. To say on the one hand don't get quartz because it is vulnerable to EMP but on the other hand say no need to spend lot's of money to get a more reliable watch I know which is the greater real risk.

Back in the day when young men went off to seek their fortune their daddies would buy them a Rolex so they could tell the time but also so that if they didn't make it they could sell it for their passage home. This still holds true, if I lose everything else in any country in the world I could get enough for a plane ticket home.

20. jafo

jafo Empty Pockets

Well that there automatic plane ticket home won't do you any good if it's stolen, which it is likely to be since it's such a high-ticket item....

Also- sure, you might have to replace a $200 watch a time or two in t helifetime of that $10,000 Rolex. Basic math tells us 200 goes into 10,000 50 times. My watches last me easily 5 years- and those are the ultra cheapies-- $50 and less. I've only recently bought myself a couple nicer watches at the $200 level. 50 goes into 10,000 200 times. If I live 600 years, I'll be awful :censored: surprised.

For what 99.9% of the people do in life, a watch that is accurate within a minute/month is more than accurate enough. I don't see a higher percentage than that of you running sneak attacks or covert missions.

It all comes down to what you like. If you want to spend $10,000 on a watch, be my guest. I'll put the money into a house-- a much better investment. Unless you're on the level of Bill Gates or Warren Buffett, a Rolex is just a "look at me" item.