1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Office UK EDC

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by bigmul, Feb 4, 2009.

1. bigmul

bigmul Empty Pockets

Well, after chatting on another thread about EDC in the UK, especially in an urban environment ( linky ), here my bag is......now some of you will find this pretty boring and tame, especially when looking at the guys in the US with guns, fixed blades and tactical gear!

Anywho, I carry a couple of laptops for work, so need a rucksack as I also goto work on the Metro (public transport)

[img width=640 height=480]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4674/dsc01052io0.jpg[/img]

Bag is a Tiso City Hike which is pretty decent really, got it on sale ages ago for about £20 I think. I carry my work HP laptop, personal EEE 900 for testing new kit at work, lunch box, waterproof trousers, book to read on the train, Leatherman KF4,, keys with Maglite Solitaire, a few USB drives (live boot of linux, portable apps etc), 3g modem as currently testing new software for it from work, BT dongle, VPN dongle, pen & green laser pointer for meetings, wallet & coin wallet (purse? lol), N95 (personal), HTC 620 (work email). All fits in with a bit of room to spare, but thinking of something a bit bigger for when I take my gym kit in.....

[img width=480 height=640]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4561/03022009984kj3.jpg[/img]

[img width=480 height=640]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9231/03022009985eo4.jpg[/img]

Cheers!

2. tinyblob

tinyblob Loaded Pockets

Great post bigmul, you and i carry similar gear. Are you a network tech by chance?
    Which bootable distro do you run on your flash drive?
    I tend to get away with my 17" Macbook Pro, just using virtual machines for my other OS testing. But sometimes i pop my MSI Wind netbook into my bag as well.

3. bigmul

bigmul Empty Pockets

Thanks tinyblob! Not a network tech, I'm a tech "consultant" - basically I test new bits of kit and new firmwares etc on existing kit, however a lot of it does revolve around consumer routers, so I defo do play with networking kit!

I just have EEEbuntu on the flashdrive which is tailored for the EEE 900 which I carry round. The EEE has XP on it normally as it's just easier when testing (eg wireshark, terminal for serial traces, other security software). As the main PC is a work one I can't stick VM on it and need to leave it as it is - if I could I'd just leave it in work as I really don't get to do any home working nowadays.

I'm starting to look at Crumpler bags again now - I have an old one for my iBook which is pretty indestructible.

You lugging a 17" macbook around is prob the same weight as my 2 laptops I reckon!

4. brix

brix Loaded Pockets

Check out Timbuk2 Bags, I had to switch my office EDC from carrying a MaxPed Jumbo to a timbuk2 because people were always wondering what I was carrying in my bag. I still have the same stuff now, but have added a laptop to the mix (and yes that includes the knives, tools, lights and stuff).

Looking over your EDC I'm sure it everything would fit nicely in a TimBuk2 (just a suggetion)

great post

5. tinyblob

tinyblob Loaded Pockets

I dual boot XP and Ubuntu on my Wind, but a USB bootable distro would be excellent for peace of mind.

I have a couple of Crumpler camera bags - they're excellent. I experimented with a Pakuma bag, which are pretty much Crumpler clones.
    [​IMG]

Pretty heavy, yeah. It's quite a lightweight laptop compared to other 17 inchers, but it's still a beast. Add the power brick, and occasionally the Wind, all in a shoulder bag... It's a killer.

6. bigmul

bigmul Empty Pockets

We really do have a similar load out! I like the separate keyring idea, might do somethign similar myself. How do you rate the Pakuma stuff? I was looking at the K1 rucksack online, vefry similar to Crumpler as you say. The Crisp Suit messenger bag looks good from Crumpler at only £50 currently too...

7. tinyblob

tinyblob Loaded Pockets

That's an old photograph, i'll have to take a new one soon with what i currently carry.

It really works out, saves you carrying around a bulky keyring unnecessarily. I take both keyrings in my bag to work in the morning. Chuck them both on my desk when i get there, and then just carry the "work" keyring around with me all day.

Mixed feelings. I needed a cheapish bag to carry my 17" laptop with me, i saw the Pakuma on ebay and snapped it up. When it arrived i was pleased to have a crumpler clone, felt sturdy - very well padded inside.
    It served me well for a couple of months, and then the strap broke. Came right off the side of the bag. I can't think of a worse failing in a bag!

So i binned the Pakuma, and happily discovered that i could fit the laptop into my camera bag - a Domke reporters bag.

8. AndyH

AndyH Loaded Pockets

I have a Crumpler Crispy Duck and a Pakuma Choroka K2. There is no comparison between the two. The Crumpler is a million times better. I also have a cheaper Crumpler, The Baby Boomer, still much better than the Pakuma.

9. bigmul

bigmul Empty Pockets

I have a Crumpler "Mc Bain's lovechild" which cocoons my 12" ibook perfectly. Had it for quite a few years now, but it's still a solid little bag.

10. ChargeTTi

ChargeTTi Empty Pockets

Nice set-up

That Lee Child book is great ;)

11. bigmul

bigmul Empty Pockets

Thanks - and yeah, it is a good book. Don't tell me how it ends, I've still got a few chapters to go! :)

12. Gene O

Gene O Empty Pockets

Good looking set up Bigmul

13. bigmul

bigmul Empty Pockets

Cheers Gene O

I finshed the book now ;-) lol

14. BIG-TARGET

BIG-TARGET Empty Pockets

UK urban EDC??? Then where's the umbrella and bowler hat?? :shrug:

15. bigmul

bigmul Empty Pockets

Obviosuly the bowler hat is on my head when I tookt he pic, and the umbrella is in the umbrella hat stand which looks like an elephant foot......lol