1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Office/EDC backpack for the OCD?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by benhar, Jan 25, 2020.

1. benhar

benhar Loaded Pockets

So I’ve been struggling to find a backpack I’m happy with. But most people I know aren’t as anal about their bags as me, so I’m not sure if the help I need is to be found here or on a therapist couch! Anyway I was curious to see if there is one I need to be considering that might fit me better.

I’m currently switching between a Synapse 25, Everki Atlas, and North Face Surge. All 3 are great but don’t quite cut it 100%

I use and like the Synapse the most, but I hate how it basically crumples over after I take my cable organizer out of the bottom (I do have the hard back put in). Plus that bottom pocket is inconvenient to get to when the backpack is on the floor in a conference room. I also find myself switching to a different bag anytime I pack even a little more than usual, since it starts to get an awkward bulge.

The North Face is great for traveling since it holds so much. But I hate the curve in the back, it makes it awkward when I put a laptop in. Plus that stiff curved back makes it near impossible to keep upright, which is a real pain in crowded meetings. It loves sliding down and away. And my Peak Design organizer barely wants to fit in the front pocket.

I like the Everki because it self stands, and easily holds 2 laptops when the need arises. But the zippers jingle so loud I sound like Santa Claus, and the divider in the main pocket limits me sometimes. Plus there’s no good place to put my organizer except the main area.

I’ve been thinking about just cutting off the zippers on the Everki and putting pulls on. But I haven’t been active on here so I was wondering if I should consider something like an Alpha One Niner Evade 1.5. There’s a lot available I may have missed.

I’m attaching a picture of a typical EDC for me, but i forgot a few things like pens, water bottle, etc.. And sometimes there may be something extra like a second laptop, change of clothes & toiletries, lock box/bag for handgun, etc.

My job has me everywhere from in the middle of nowhere with field work, to causal office environments, to Starbucks type work, to more proper business meetings. Handgun only comes into play for personal use on weekends since it’s restricted at work.

Anyway, before I do irreversible harm to my Everki, I wanted to get the experts thoughts on other bags out there. Thanks!

Edit: Meant to add I’ve been debating on ditching the Peak Design organizer. I love the thing, but it‘s just bulky enough to be awkward to find a place for, short of just throwing it in the main compartment.

[​IMG]

#1 benhar, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    RichardA76 and RED-FIVE like this.
  2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

You should definitely consider the Evade 1.5. I’ve been carrying the original Evade since August 2016. I work in a business casual environment with occasional corporate meetings, but the bag has also seen quite a bit of travel and some outdoor use. It’s durable, versatile and well-organized. The newest version offers some upgrades that improve on what has been as close to perfect a bag as I could ask for.

chaosmagnet and RED-FIVE like this.
  3. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

The Evade 1.5 might be a little big, but I think it might serve your purposes well. It has a lot of nice organization that makes it easy to get to everything.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  4. benhar

benhar Loaded Pockets

Thanks! I’ll give the Evade a close look. I’m 6’1 so not worried about the size.

I noticed the black ones are out of stock. Is availability a periodic thing?

chaosmagnet likes this.
  5. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

Regardless of whether you decide on a new bag or decide to stay with the current one, if the metal zipper tabs are loud enough to annoy you then removing them is not doing harm to the bag. Remember the bag should serve you, not the other way around.

aicolainen likes this.
  6. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

They just finished the initial run of 1.5’s. According to Helm, the owner of Alpha One Niner, the next run is expected early to mid March. He said the 1.5 will remain in production.

7. benhar

benhar Loaded Pockets

True, thanks.

Bummer to have to wait if I go that route, but that actually times well with our annual bonus at work!

BigGreenTick and twin63 like this.
  8. ferris209

ferris209 Loaded Pockets

The First Tactical 0.5 Day Pack would probably meet your needs, I love how from the factory it’s a very organized pack. One of the few I don’t have to attach an extra pouches to.

9. jellyf

jellyf Loaded Pockets

Have a look at the Triple Aught Design Axiom 24. A bit pricey but great expandable organisation, premium materials,understated and the most comfortable pack I've owned.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

10. benhar

benhar Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the suggestions! Hadn't seen the First Tactical before. It looks nice but might be a little more tactical than I'm comfortable with for the office.

I had actually looked at the Axiom 24. Aside from the price, I had dismissed it because it sounded very crinkly on videos, plus it looked like it would want to immediately fall over when set down. Also looked like it didn't protect laptops at the bottom very well. However, I may be very mistaken on those points, so if I need to take another look please let me know!

ferris209 likes this.
  11. FireCapt

FireCapt Loaded Pockets

Have you looked at the Maxpedition Prepared Citizen line. Very non tactical look and they have a couple of different sizes. All are under $100. The smaller version is currently on sale for $59.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. benhar

benhar Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I did. Neat seeing them make “normal” looking bags!

Well I just saw that preorders posted for the Evade 1.5, so I jumped on the ballistic nylon. Really wanted a good comparison to the 500 cordura but couldn’t find one.

Now I wait, while also panicking at spending more than I ever have on a backpack! Though I guess I have more in the Synapse once I count the 2 caches and internal frame.

twin63 and FireCapt like this.
  13. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

You won’t be disappointed.

14. ferris209

ferris209 Loaded Pockets

A good bag is worth the money in every sense especially the Evade.

15. capt._dan

capt._dan Empty Pockets

I have all three of them and use the 1.5 daily. It is a great bag and you will not be disappointed at all.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

16. benhar

benhar Loaded Pockets

Thanks all! Can anyone expound on the differences between the 500 denier cordura and the ballistic? Even better, have a close up picture of the 500 in black?

Wasn’t sure which material to get. I really like both my Synapse which is the older model with the 1000 denier cordura, and my TB A45 in ballistic. But I have no point of reference for what the 500 is like.

17. capt._dan

capt._dan Empty Pockets

It's a little dirty but here is a close up.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

18. benhar

benhar Loaded Pockets

Awesome, thanks!

19. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

thought I would look around on Maxpedition site, really the PFII is no longer made??

20. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I just looked and it still shows it as available. They were running a sale through the holidays and I believe the PFII had sold out at the $60 price. Appears to be back in stock at regular price now.