1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Odd experience at Radio Shack

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by landwire, Oct 6, 2009.

1. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Having just passed my Technician exam, I figured I better start looking for my first radio. I figured that I will head down to my local Radio Shack. I walk in today and told the guy I was looking for a 2-meter radio. He gives me kinda an odd look and said they don't carry ham radios anymore. He explained that most stores stopped carrying them about 5 years ago. After looking things up, he said, there were none available online either. So half joking, I suggested that perhaps it time to take the Radio out of the store name. I was then told they were. Radio Shack is in the process of rebranding themselves to "The Shack."

While expenses at time, I do shop at Radio Shack for various electronic doodads I have in various Edc/BoB kits. I might have to rethink some things here.

2. Foskey

Foskey Loaded Pockets

Wow, things sure do change!

3. greyhound352

greyhound352 Loaded Pockets

4. Pheonix886

Pheonix886 Loaded Pockets

No more Ham radios? HOW ELSE CAN WE COMMUNICATE WHEN THE (Slow moving undead) TAKE OVER?!

While "the Shack" sounds cool, I'm pretty sure some bar in the middle of skid row already has that name.

5. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Congrats on passing your Tech! Yup, Radio Shack doesn't have much in the way of radios anymore. +1 to HRO and AES as mentioned. Also be sure to check out Universal Radio.

6. Chief-Yeah

Chief-Yeah Loaded Pockets

spent a month there one night [​IMG]

7. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Yeah, this is not the Radio Shack of old. Instead check out vendors like:

www.UniversalRadio.com
    www.aesham.com
    www.lentini.com <still in business? In Connecticut I think>

and a bunch of others the names of which escape me because it's been
    a while since I've been following the radio hobby market.

Check www.eham.net and poke around there for the names of reliable
    vendors. They also have user reviews of equipment.

8. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Yeah today the salekids only want to sell you either a laptop or a cellphone in there. I went in looking for a switch and the kid has no idea what I was talking about, and the store have only a tiny selection hidden in way back.

9. MacGnG

MacGnG Loaded Pockets

i went for a battery tester!!! a frikin battery tester.... "we just cleaned out the old stock, so we don't have anymore" dude!?!? who actually goes to radio shack because they want to?? no one! we just go cause we expect that they have the "electronical thingy" we need.

10. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I've called it Radio Trash for years. There's 4 within driving distance (30 min) of me but there's only 1 that still carried CB radio equipment as of 6 months ago & was the only store I still visited. The owner is a big CB guy, but even they are phasing out the supplies I'd go in there to buy.

11. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I've always enjoyed going to Radio Shack for that whatchamacallit. Sometimes it was the only place to find that thingamabob and you didn't want to wait for the shipping from ordering it online. It was also fun to play stump the staff. I knew the whole place was going downhill when various computer items cost more then they did at Best Buy.

12. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

The whole hobby electronics market has changed.

You know what I really miss? Heathkit!

Other Boomers will fondly remember it, for those of you who don't know
    what it was. They sold great electronics kits. Visiting one of their stores
    was always lots of fun. The Heathkit digital clock I built about 30 years
    ago still works fine. Cool blue gas-plasma display.

They had a reputation for having really good kit instructions and
    support.

Anyhow, not to get off the topic, Radio Shack is still good for their
    Black Friday sales. I think it's the first Xmas shopping day, they discount
    lots of older scanners, receivers, and other things. You can save a bit
    of money.

Of course, that's assuming they still sell scanners this year....

They're still searching for a viable marketing strategy.

13. bartsdad

bartsdad Loaded Pockets

For a long time now, every time I walk into a Shack, I get pist off and leave mad at myself for going in there. :lolhammer: :mad:

I go in looking for something they used to carry back in the day, and only find cell phones and some other useless crap. I have since found a local electronic supply store that still stocks components and has a knowledgeable staff. If that doesn't work, I go surfin' the web to find what I need. The biggest problem I've found trying to buy some components off the web is huge minimum orders some sites require.

The hobby market, electronics or otherwise, has changed. People don't or won't take the time to research and build things. If they don't see almost immediate results, people lose interest. :(

14. morrowsmowers

morrowsmowers Empty Pockets

Years ago I started listening to short wave and the local Radio Shack actually had a sales person who was experienced in short wave and help me make a selection on a receiver. Now they don't even know what short wave is. I went in a few months ago and asked for a cable with 3.5mm stereo jacks on the ends. The guy said he didn't need to know the "measurements", just bring in what I wanted to connect and they could make something fit.... I found the cable on the rack and he looked at me like I had an alien head on my neck ... he was totally clueless about electronics.