1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

NR73's EDC thread

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by nr73, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Ben Rubinstein

Happy and safe 2016!

2. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

And a Happy New year to you Ben, and all on the forum :)

3. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Been meaning to do something like this with my keys for a while. I took a hex key set as a starting point, drilled and ground down my keys and modified a spare skull pry tool so they all fit the 6mm shaft. Not entirely happy with using washers for spacers but the whole lot moved freely with zero interference.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by nr73, Jan 12, 2016
  4. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

A couple of somewhat random photos. First up, I thought I would take a photo to illustrate the often criticised UK knife laws.

[​IMG]

That little swisscard blade you see there, technically that's illegal in public without a satisfactory reason for having it about your person, since it's a fixed blade. The whopping Lansky below it is perfectly legal in most situations because it's a non-locking folder and has a sub-3" cutting edge.

Incidentally I have been using that Lansky around the house for a few weeks and it's impressing me so far. It's keeping a good edge and the blade curvature means it's quite adept at different types of cutting jobs.

On a different note, I thought I'd post up a photo of a Finnish 'Kuksa' wooden cup that my wife bought me following our trip to Lapland last month. This thing is great, it completely insulates your hand from heat from a hot beverage, and treated correctly it will last a lifetime which really appeals to me since it goes against todays throwaway society.

[​IMG]

Nick4305, QuodErat, jag-engr and 9 others like this.
  5. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Not EDC related but I may as well post a few photos from Lapland (Finland). Amazing place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

I've been on something of a mission recently to reduce the bulkiness of my EDC. The Secrid wallet has been a welcome, functional and compact change from my previous wallet. I've also downsized from a 6" screen android Phablet to this Lumia 520 which runs windows phone 8.1. The wallet is barely larger than a credit card so that should tell you how compact the phone is. Battery life is good and although windows phone OS is still a poor relation to android an and ios, it does a reasonable job with the apps I use on a daily basis. I do have a 535 on the way which should be an improvement.

[​IMG]

7. GiraffeHooves

GiraffeHooves EDC Junkie!!!!!

Very awesome gear and I'm definitely watching this thread!

8. MarriedTheMedic

MarriedTheMedic EDC Junkie

Absolutely stunning photos! Thanks for sharing!

9. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Today's EDC. Got my Lumia 535 in 'hard to miss' dayglo orange. Also my Lansky world legal slipjoint, my Secrid slim wallet, and 'Shaker' in copper which I just polished back up lightly. A nice combination and very easy in the pocket.

[​IMG]

Also this just arrived. Never really considered the Field Notes books because they looked somewhat prone to becoming tatty really easily. However, I have an upcoming 2 week motorcycle tour around north Vietnam in Feb & March, so I wanted something super compact that I could use to note down places we've visited and random things that happen (all too often forgotten about after the trip). I like to blog these things post-trip. Google 'Nambusters' if you want to see what I'm referring to. Anyway, I jumped straight in with these limited edition Expedition books from FN, and I think I'm now a convert. At 48 pages they are extremely compact, there's a nifty little ruler inside the back page (genius), and at least on these Expedition versions the cover is made of a tear-proof material that should hold up well. I'll pair these with my space pen for the trip.

If it was ever possible for a little notebook to have character, these have it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. QuodErat

QuodErat EDC Junkie!!!

I can't really justify the use of a key organizer for my own edc needs, but if I did, it would be hard to imagine a cooler set-up than yours. Nice going!

GiraffeHooves and Antithetik like this.
  11. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Thanks!! It's working out nicely, I'd like to add a pocket clip perhaps but I haven't worked out how I would do it yet. The whole thing was remarkably easy to build, using a hex key set as a basis (£2.50).

12. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Thought I'd post up my (very limited) sharps collection so far. I've got an Opinel on the way soon too.

So far I've actually been very impressed by the Lansky, more so than the Kershaw and the Boker, which cost more than double what the Lansky did. The blade is so much more convenient for most cutting tasks, when compared to the curved Boker. It's holding an edge much better than both the others too. The downside is the weight, since it's quite a large knife despite being UK carry friendly. The Boker just slips into a pocket and you can forget about it until you need it, plus it doesn't look very threatening. The Kershaw, well it's a locking knife so it never goes out of the house, and although it looks nice I tend to gravitate to the others unless I specifically need a locker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nick4305 and Antithetik like this.
  13. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Also, this just happened. ;)

I've deliberated over the Minichamp for some time now, and now it's landed I wondered why I held off. It's a little beauty! I've had the Alox version for a while but it almost seems too nice to use. That said, the toolset on the Alox minichamp has not impressed me that much. It hasn't found a role in my day to day life other than looking pretty and being convenient pocket carry, but doing much of the same jobs that my Classic can do. The additional tools that it has over the classic haven't been used much with perhaps the exception of the screwdriver/cap lifter.

The regular Minichamp has fluctuated in price up to £30 or so, so when I saw it on Amazon for £17 I thought I'd just go for it. The pen adds function, as does the toothpick or tweezers (sadly it can't hold both although I'm sure Victorinox could have found a way to fit them both in. What I love about it is it's a deep red cellidor SAK but in miniature. It's so cute. This was going to be my rough-n-ready minichamp however the deep gloss of the cellidor is too nice to ruin. So I've ordered a leather pouch for it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is with it's brother - an Alox Minichamp!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nick4305, QuodErat and Antithetik like this.
  14. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

This arrived yesterday ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nick4305 likes this.
  15. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Some recent additions;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nick4305 likes this.
  16. AlleyKat

AlleyKat Loaded Pockets

I have thoroughly enjoyed perusing your thread - we have so many of the same things it's like we're kindred spirits!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nr73 likes this.
  17. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Today's pocket carry...

[​IMG]

18. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Also last night I got home to find that this little beauty had landed.

It's a limited edition (100 pieces I think) Heinnie Haynes Boker Plus Subcom 42. That's a mouthful. Mine is serial number 55. The usual plastic scale on this version is carbon fiber, the pocket clip replaced by a natty red clip instead of bare metal, and what makes it more of a bargain is that this version has the upgraded VG10 steel blade and yet cost less than the Titan version with that same VG10 steel.

I hovered between this and the Titanium Subcom but went for this since the CF and clip make it that little bit more special.

This is by far the sharpest knife I've got, it arrived sharp enough to shave with, and will skim hairs off your arm no problem. Not sure I can keep it that sharp when it goes dull but that's another problem! For now I really like it and just added the lanyard in the last photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Thanks! Obviously you have great taste in equipment :)