1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

NR73's EDC thread

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by nr73, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Radley
    • In Omnia Paratus

Radley Uber Prepared

Heard a lot of people have good things to say about the kershaw how's the blades edge holding?

sent from S6 edge plus. boom!!

2. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

No problems so far, haven't had to touch it up or anything. I think it will hold a decent edge for a while.

3. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Picked this up yesterday :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Quick Monday morning pocket dump and EDC for the day. I'm working from home today for the most part so these are just the items I am keeping handy during the day.

• 4x6 Notepad cover, with my Tactile Turn copper Shaker inside
    • Book of the moment: Red Tape and White Knuckles - this is a great book by Lois Pryce, about her journey from the UK all the way to South Africa on a 250cc dirt bike. Excellent author, and plenty of amusing tales along the way.
    • Smart Ultra 6 (android smartphone)
    • Bluetooth earphones
    • Breitling Superocean 42
    • Pen (came free with something, has a biro and smartphone 2-in-1 nib)
    • Kershaw shuffle

[​IMG]

5. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

I'm going to be doing some reorganising soon of a few of my EDC items. Firstly, the notebook cover, while useful in that it keeps pen & pad together, is going to get repurposed. I've found I'm really not a fan of vertical open notepads of this size (6x4) because you really end up just writing on every other page (the lower page). I'm going to go back to horizontal open notepads, and that means the notebook cover will be useless. I'll repurpose it to hold some slimline EDC items perhaps in my Jumbo bag. In addition to the 6x4 notepad in here, I also tend to carry a 3x6 ring bound notepad with tear-off pages. It's perfect for to-do lists on a particular day.

Next, a rethink on my pens. I currently keep, in my 6x4 a copper Tactile Turn shaker. In my 5.11 Rush 12 (where the 6x4 resides...) a Smith & Wesson military police pen. Both these pens are quite heavy. While I always gravitate towards heavier items, especially those that have decent workmanship or are machined, weight is becoming a problem. I regularly travel down to London with my job and that means train stations and plenty of walking because I avoid London taxi's. I always strip out my Rush 12 for these trips but typically it will still contain a 13" macbook pro, power adapter, clothes for 2-3 days, wash bag, water bottle, SAK, keys...you get the picture. All in all, the weight does add up and I don't rate the Rush 12's harness as the most comfortable. Therefore carrying 2 notepads, 3 pens (2 of which are quite heavy) doesn't make sense. I need to trim the weight.

I've become a fan recently of Zebra Expandz pens. I had a regular Expandz which was quite compact, but picked up a mini Expandz the other day which is much lighter and smaller while still being perfectly functional. I don't think they're a pen for doing lots of writing with, but for the odd scribble they are perfect and lightweight.

Both Zebra pens shown 'closed' on a 3x5 notepad...

[​IMG]

...and then in their open positions...

[​IMG]

Part of the problem here is that there are items that I genuinely use or might need, but I'm getting weight down with items that I just like having with me. Time to change that...

6. Ben Rubinstein

Drooling over that Breitling!

7. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Thanks! Really enjoying this, I particularly like the 3d numerals.

[​IMG]

8. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

I was having a watch sortout and decided to take a few snaps of the collection. Recently added the Breitling and also a Steinhart ocean 500 titanium.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. QuodErat

QuodErat EDC Junkie!!!

[​IMG]57732059 by Quod Erat, on Flickr

10. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Haven't posted in a month or so, work has been crazy. Been to Atlanta, Pittsburgh and NYC then over to Finland with the family.

Anyway... This little beauty has been on my wish list for a while and I finally just got it. I have a Kershaw shuffle which is great but it isn't UK legal carry since it's a lock knife. Also the blade needs some recovery work after a bad sharpening experience left a few tiny nicks in the edge.

You know how it works... that was all the excuse I needed. Along came the Boker plus Nano 42 slip joint. UK legal and a nice thick sharp blade. Seems very well made and its been getting a fair bit of use the last few days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

11. Ben Rubinstein

Isn't there a frame lock visible in the 2nd picture, is it a non locking knife?

GiraffeHooves and Antithetik like this.
  12. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

The frame lock is just slightly extended compared to the regular Boker Nano, so it doesn't lock in place behind the blade. Instead, it holds pressure against a small ball bearing that locates into a recess when the blade is opened. Hence it acts as a slip joint.

[​IMG]

13. Ben Rubinstein

Very nice! What do you find is it's 'home territory' usage wise?

GiraffeHooves, Antithetik and Gallows like this.
  14. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Well it's early days yet. There are obvious limitations but the fact it's UK legal carry counts for a lot as far as I'm concerned. If you need a point to pierce packaging for instance, a spyderco would be better because the point is approaching 90 degrees on this. I was opening some thick plastic pouches earlier though and it cut clean through them with zero angle. Certain cutting jobs just need a bit more control than normal because the blade is so stubby. The thick blade is very sturdy and I wouldn't have any issue cutting heavier items by bashing the back of the blade. The steel seems a decent grade and I expect it will hold an edge better than the Kershaw. Overall it's a useful pocket knife that I can keep with me most places, and I'd say it actually has 'character'.

15. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

This arrived today, a Secrid Mini wallet. I've been considering them for a while and just took the plunge. You have probably sent these before on the forum so I won't go into a mini review. So far I really like it. My only concern is whether the plastic sleeve that joins the leather (using a single row of stitching) to the aluminium shell, will hold up long term. Others have raised the same concern in reviews I have seen, and so far those concerns seem to be unfounded.

I've been using a LifeVenture RFID safe wallet the last 6 months or so, but I've ended up carrying too much in it and then it doesn't close properly. I thought it was time to slim the load down some more and the Secrid certainly does that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

As if that wasn't enough, I also ordered this. Its a WOLYT by Loft of Cambie. Holds cards in the outside pouches, cash in the small slot, and cards in the centre pouch which can be easily accessed by using the pull tab to remove them. Its nicely lined inside the slots and comes in a number of leather and fabric variations. Very impressive both in terms of build quality, and also that it can hold the same number of cards as the Secrid plus the same amount of cash in am even smaller footprint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compared to the Secrid...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Compared to my old LifeVenture...

[​IMG]

GiraffeHooves, Lou_G, Gallows and 2 others like this.
  17. Ben Rubinstein

That Cambie looks nice. Cheaper and dare I say a better design than the Bellroy card sleeve? What do you do for coins? I find that the biggest problem with these minimalist wallets, they're designed with a 'coins don't exist in this day and age' mindset which doesn't translate to Europe (or here for that matter).

Last edited by Ben Rubinstein, Dec 30, 2015
    GiraffeHooves, Gallows and Antithetik like this.
  18. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

The Cambie seems an excellent design and very well made. It was £24. I find I mostly don't need coins these days aside from parking meters, lockers or vending machines, neither of which are regular things for me. I keep some £1 and 50p coins in the car, and have bought one of those aluminium EDC capsules in which to keep some change in my bag. Most of the time I can get by with debit card and a few notes of cash. I'll need to put something in the capsule to stop change rattling around in there.

You can slide a few coins into one of the inner leather card slots on the Secrid by the way. Might stretch there leather over time though.

I did also look at those Titanium minimalist wallets but I can't help but think that a wallet should hold the contents on the inside rather than the outside.

I do have a maxpedition coin pouch but its better suited as my small first aid pouch.

Why did I buy both these wallets at the same time? Well, I think the Cambie will work better for me, but the Secrid was just something I had to try! I'll pay back an update when I've had a chances to try them both out.

19. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Some more photos of the inside of the Secrid. You can see the card eject tab and the note sleeve plus the additional card sleeves in the leather section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GiraffeHooves, Lou_G, Gallows and 2 others like this.
  20. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

This just landed, a Lansky world legal slip joint and blade medic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]