1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

NR73's EDC thread

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by nr73, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Ben Rubinstein

I'm not that much into bags but can I give a big shout out and like for that goatee? :)

2. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Absolutely :)

3. Ben Rubinstein

How do you like that Minichamp? It's the only victorniox I've ever wanted to be honest, my wife carries the victorinox in our family :)

4. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

The minichamp is great, it's always in my EDC pouch so it goes most place with me. My only complaint about it, is that the alox version which I have is too pretty to get any hard use! My cellidor scaled SAK's get used and abused, they are all scratched up and that's fine. But the alox minichamp is another matter... that one's staying pretty!

All that said, it does get used and is very capable. The alox version gives up the tweezers and toothpick, both of which would come in handy from time to time. The cross-head screwdriver is particularly good and sturdy. But I'm considering getting a regular cellidor minichamp so I can just plain pocket-carry it and use that as my go-to knife when I'm out and about. Generally I don't want something like a 90mm SAK in my pocket unless I'm just at home at the weekend.

If it appeals to you, just go ahead and get one :)

5. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

This is my Tactile Turn Shaker, the copper is developing a lovely patina now. :)

Am I the only person that routinely strips and rebuilds my pen during calls and meetings?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Ben Rubinstein

7. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

(This is posted in another thread but I wanted to keep all my kit and mods in this one thread too)

I wanted to add rechargeable power to my Rush 12 for charging my camera and phone. The goal was to make it as invisible and fuss-free as possible, to the point that you don't know it's there unless you go looking inside for the power pack.

This is the first version and will do for now. I plan on adding more capacity later.

I took an old iPhone 4 case, removed and modified the back and used it as a mount inside the hydration area using the Velcro tab and the two toggles for stability.

Next up I mounted a battery charge case that accepts 2 x 2900mah 18650 cells onto that carrier.

With it hanging free it's very stable and finishes just above the top of my macbook if I store it in that compartment. You don't know it's there.

Finally I've run a micro USB cable through the gap behind the Velcro, out through the hydration port and down the webbing to my Kriega Kube where my phone or camera normally lives.

There next step will be to replace the USB cable with one that illuminates to indicate charging, and find a better way of securing the USB cable.

Pretty happy with the results. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

This arrived today. I wanted one of those griffin pouches but they are hard to source here in the UK. I found this small crumpler soft case and decided it was worth a try for small in-pocket carry.

It's got a small mesh pocket and that's about it, but that's fine for the items I am carrying. Photo next to a Maxpedition micro organiser for size comparison.

Seems good so far for a small-medium SAK, AAA torch, small pen etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

9. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

This just landed, too pretty to use I think... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Ben Rubinstein

Nooooooo, it's such a nice shape for a user! Would be such a waste to have those ergonomics but carry on using the far less ergonomic SAK's. :)

11. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Well I really like the matt black blade as it is, unscratched. It would be a real shame if it started looking all tatty. Perhaps I should buy a regular Wenger Evogrip to see how the ergonomics work for me...

12. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Having a family week away at the beach here in Somerset, UK. My edc is getting used daily. My kids are 5 and 7 so the first aid kit is being used at least daily to patch up bumps and scrapes. My son had quite a big fall on Sunday at a friends beach chalet from about 6' up so we patched him UPI and took him to the hospital to get x-rayed. Fortunately nothing broken! But there have been plenty of cuts and scrapes from them playing on there beach and around the rocks every day.

The Swisschamp has been used for everything from cutting open packets of food, new toys, opening beers, cutting back thorny branches that were sticking out at head height ready to take someone's eye out, to cutting branches in the woods for the kids to play with and whittling driftwood that we will take home and use to make things from for the house.

The torch (thrunite ti2) is getting plenty of use since power is on a meter. Also the binoculars I brought are proving useful since we are at the coast so there is no shortage of things sailing by to look at. Also useful trying to track down the kids when they wander off...!

Lastly my 5.11 Rush 12 is working great as a bag for days out or even just going for walks. On a few occasions I've had to break out the FAK when one of the kids had a fall, plus the weather is quite changeable this week so we're constantly adding or removing layers - all of which go into the Rush.

Currently reading a great book by Bill Bryson and enjoying a beer outside the beach hut.

[​IMG]

13. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

A quick pocket dump for today.

[​IMG]

14. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

While loading up for a work trip to London the other day, I noticed the seam on my 5.11 rush has split open near the upper pouch. I'm a bit disappointed with that since it is supposed to be a tough bag and it's only been in use for around 3 months. I contacted Heinnie Haynes who I purchased it from, and they responded within 2 hours with a return number so that will get posted off today. In all other respects the Rush has been great. Enough pockets and compartments for most items with a few spare for those incidental items from day to day.

[​IMG]

15. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Replacement 5.11 Rush just arrived. I've got to say, great service from Heinnie Haynes. Posted my faulty Rush on Thursday, received this replacement two days later on Saturday. No quibbles or anything. Glad I bought from them in hindsight.

[​IMG]

Of course, now I have to redo the paracord zip pulls, inside and out, refit the USB battery pack, move the sternum strap down one level, and anything else that made it "mine"!

16. dan46er

dan46er Loaded Pockets

Very nice thread and great gear! Hope the replacement bag works well!

17. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Had some nice stuff arrive this morning. Firstly I needed a sharpener of some sort, because my SAK blades are getting noticeably duller. Other than being able to sharpen and strop a straight razor I'm not very knowledgable on sharpeners! My father has many knives which he uses for filleting fish and dressing venison, he hunts various things including stags in Scotland. So he knows a thing or two about getting a decent edge on a blade. I got him to sharpen up my SAK blades and show me how to do it. I bought a basic fine sharpening stone which turned up this morning and has already put an even nicer edge on my Spyderco Bug.

I also bought a Klean Kanteen steel pint, just because I quite like different pint glasses for an evening beer or two.

Lastly I fancied a new knife, no reason in particular but I wanted to add something like this or the Boker Nano to my EDC collection and the Kershaw Blackwash in teal fit the bill nicely. It's arrived nice and sharp, in fact it put the Spyderco to shame and that was still very sharp indeed!

I love the black finish on it, particularly that the finish is already weathered and therefore there's no reason to be afraid to use it for fear of scuffing up an otherwise immaculate black finished blade. I also like the bottle opener on the rear and the pocket clip.

Since it's a locker, it's not UK carry legal so this will just be for around the house or garage, or camping etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

My 5.11 Rush replacement is going well. I haven't actually re-done any of the paracord pulls yet, and might not do them since I'm preferring the stealthier look for when it gets used as a work bag. First and foremost, the Rush is my weekend bag for days out with the family, but since I don't want to just use it for that purpose alone I use it at work too. I have a Macbook Pro, which I keep in a padded sleeve in the main compartment, and there a few other bits and pieces for work that I keep around the Rush such as wall charger, external HD etc. Until now all these items have been loose around the 5.11 which makes it a fiddly job on Friday night when I unload my work gear. I decided that a MaxP Beefy would help since I should be able to fit all that gear in there and just remove the one item plus laptop. So far it is doing just that, and despite what I think about Maxpedition I was struggling to find anything of a similar size and capacity with the organisation that this has. If someone knows of such an organiser available here in the UK please let me know.

Here it is with its basic load out. On reflection I would have been better ordering the foliage colour because this does get lost in the blackness of my also-black Rush! Other than that it's perfect for the job.

[​IMG]

Other items that I carry all the time in here (pens, pills, Swisschamp, notepad etc) are in the admin area at the back of the Rush.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I keep earphones and torch in a 5.11 light writing patch on the rear velcro. Makes for quick access, and I don't mind that they're on the outside since both items only cost about £3.

[​IMG]

19. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Pocket dump. Really liking the Kershaw.

[​IMG]

20. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Friday Work EDC...

[​IMG]