1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

NR73's EDC thread

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by nr73, Apr 30, 2014.

1. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Giving the maxp travel tray a test drive since I'm at a hotel today. Seems good, well constructed, could do with being 50% bigger though. Also one issue is that you need some weight in the main flat portion otherwise even just a mobile phone in the organiser pouch at the back will topple it over backwards. I do like it though, it will accompany me on my future travels and hopefully make it much less likely that I accidentally leave something behind! Normally those contents would be strewn over that worktop and bedside tables.

[​IMG]

2. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Also a photo of my current every day watch. It's an Armida A8 in brass that has developed a lovely patina. Came with a vintage leather strap.

[​IMG]

3. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Postie just dropped this little beauty off, a SAK Tinker. For those times when pocket bulk is an issue, but a classic is not enough :)

[​IMG]

Somehow a Thrunite Ti2 (AAA 80 lumens and £6) was also in the box with it... ;)

[​IMG]

4. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Just had a bash at paracord wrapping this mini pry bar, came out quite well for a first attempt :)

[​IMG]

5. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

At last, my Alox minichamp arrived today!! Really happy with this one so far, it's almost a shame to use it!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Been trying this little beauty out over the last week or so... The maxp coin purse (I hate the term purse so I'm going to call it coin pouch).

The problem for me was too full pockets. By the time I had mobile phone, wallet, house keys and a SAK/torch it was to much bulk. I decided to try and convince wallet and tools and reduce overall load in the process. Out went the Swisschamp, ordered a Tinker instead. I added a Thrunite Ti2, and a mini pry bar. Coins go in the pouch, cards go in a money clip in the pouch.

Also pictured is my spare phone, a £12 dual sim Nokia in hard-to-lose lime green. It discourages being antisocial and fiddling with your phone because it doesn't actually do anything, and the battery lasts several days ;-) perfect for going down to the pub at the weekend and work can't bother me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

I think I've found a good solution for basic pocket carry this week. One of my issues was that if I keep a SAK or AAA torch in my pocket, as I like to do, I then can't put a mobile phone in that same pocket because it would get scratched up. Or with my keys in the same pocket it gets too bulky. I wanted something that I could pick up in the morning, with my essentials in it, and it go into my pocket and hardly know its there.

I found this spare neoprene earphone pouch in a drawer,and it's actually working very well for what I need. As you can see, I've got a mini pry bar, an Alox Minichamp, a Thrunite Ti2 torch and a Space Bullet. They fit in side by side, there's no jangling because of the paracord and the little case I keep the Minichamp in, and it stays nice and flat in the pocket. I forget it's there until I come to use it, which is always a good sign.

Lastly, it fits into that MaxP coin pouch I got, which has my cards and cash in it, so it kind of doubles up and saves space.

Also pictured is my 'work' phone, a Sony M2 Aqua, rocking the bronze. The cheap ebay finest handmade imitation faux leatherette case it's shown in has my most-used cards in there, so a lot of the time I don't even need to take my wallet with me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Thought I would share my straight razors in this thread.

The first one is a 1924 Kropp, made in England and ground in Hamburg. The blade is a 5/8 round nose and it holds a fine edge very easily indeed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other is a Taylors of Sheffield from around 1920. The nose of the blade was damaged and at some point re-ground nicely down to a square point blade. It's a hollow ground blade of between 6/8 and 7/8. This one seriously takes no prisoners, the square point in particular is brutal if you get it wrong! Respect is needed. The blade is showing a bit of pitting but it is 95 years old...!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

These just arrived :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Bitten by the bug!

[​IMG]

11. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just a lil bite!

I've seen 3 pry bars and you came 'out the gate with guns blazing' with all the great gear dumps and pictures.

Awesome thread. See you are already falling ill with the Pox

12. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Only 3 pry bars??

[​IMG]

Thanks for the nice comments, it's always good to see that someone actually looks at the drivel I post up!

13. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

While I'm at it, might as well part this up. I bought yet another wallet! Lifeventure is a brand I'm a bit of a fan of, their gear always seems to be well made and durable. I saw this RFID wallet in an outdoor store and bought it there and then. It was only £10.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a zip closure, very compact and flat even with a few cards loaded up in there, has a zip pouch for coins, and just generally rocks all the right boxes for a compact wallet without sacrificing ability to carry notes or coins, or convenience. We've all at some point tried cramming notes and cards in a money clip or elastic band holder that wasn't designed for it, or just made the process to fiddly to do by the til when there's a queue of people behind you...

I've taken to this wallet quite well, not sure now what I'll be using the maxpedition coin pouch for but I'm sure I can loaf that up with something!

Lastly that Microsoft neoprene pouch I posted up and have been using for easy pocket carry, is working out very well. I'm settled on it.

14. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

A good day today for EDC.

First, my Maxp 4x6 notebook cover turned up. I would have gone for foliage over the black but it wasn't in stock, and I'm an impatient sort :)

I like it, it's sturdy and should work well, but there some design flaws in my opinion which just make me wonder what they were thinking. Firstly, the elasticated loop in the top section is perhaps a bit too low down to be of use holding pens, since on most pens the clip sits in the top half. I can just about get around this with certain pens by having the clip partially on the loop, but it's not ideal.

Secondly, the loop stitching divides the elastic into two wide sections that are really too wide for pens, especially those without a clip such as a space pen, and two other sections which are too narrow for anything apart from pencils or super-slim pens. Strange.

Third, and this for me is the biggest flaw, there are 4 full length divider pockets which would be perfect for storing pens, unless you want to write on the notepad that's also in there. Because they are under the notepad paper itself. On the 3x5 they are on the outside at the back, which makes perhaps a bit more sense. So if you had 3 or 4 pens in these pockets, you'd have to remove them all to give yourself a flat writing surface underneath the paper. Hmm..

Despite that, I'm still happy with it on the whole, these shortcomings mean I will be less likely to load it up with SAK and pry bar or other EDC stuff that I keep around, whereas I would have preferred to be able to include those items. I think I will get a 3x5 version and see how I get along with that, I could do with one for my other bag anyway...!

Here it is loaded up with the obligatory trunk monkey patch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up, after only about 5 days including shipping to the UK my Tactile Turn Shaker arrived! I got the copper version, and I'm extremely pleased with it. Will really did a great job on this one. The join line is invisible until you start to unscrew the two halves. The copper is lustrous but I am looking forward to watching it patina like only copper can. Initially I thought I was getting some dropout from the refill while writing but it was due to the all-weather notebook paper having a slightly greasy surface. I think I'm going to ditch that notebook, it was an experiment anyway. Writing on normal paper the Shaker is superb, and due to the weight you don't have to apply any pressure, just the pressure from weight of the pen is enough. Once you adjust to that, writing becomes easier than ever. I really love this pen already.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what I was talking about with regards to those elastic loops. They're too low down by about 1" and the divider stitching really could have done with being spread out into 4 equal sized sections, or 1 larger and 3 pen sized.

[​IMG]

Lastly, these are the pockets that sit underneath the notebook. Fine if you keep your only pen in there, but if there's 4 then most people will use 2 or more of them. Just be prepared to remove them all before you start writing!

[​IMG]

15. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

I've taken recently to loading up this MaxP micro organiser with the items I use the most. This is in addition to my smartphone (Sony M2), house & car keys, and wallet.

Nokia (personal phone for when I don't want the office calling me!)
    Tactile turn 'Shaker' in copper (my favourite pen!)
    Alox Minichamp (I love this tool!)
    Thrunite Ti2
    Mini pry bar
    SAK Tinker
    3x5 notepad

Loaded up with this little lot it's still very compact, although too large for a front pocket it fits in a cargo pocket easily. If I'm going somewhere in the car or on the motorbike I can just grab this and stash it somewhere. The Minichamp, Ti2 and pry bar often get moved to pocket carry but if I'm in the office or just around the house it makes sense just to keep them nearby.

[​IMG]

16. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

This little bad-boy arrived a few days ago, the 5.11 light writing patch. It's got velcro on the reverse so it can attach to any loop panel. There's a card slot behind the front panel, and two elastic loops. Seems like they are sized more for a AA torch or a SAK perhaps smaller than the Swisschamp, so I may modify it. I'm thinking about removing the single row of stitching dividing the elastic into two loops, and adding two rows of stitching there instead so it has three smaller loops. Won't be easy though because of that card slot which I want to retain the use of. I can see me buying another one of these and modding this one.

[​IMG]

17. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

The light writing patch has found a home in the CCW pocket of my Jumbo versipack.

[​IMG]

In an effort to keep the main compartment as free and available as possible, I reduced the number items I carry and offloaded some of them to a mini pouch which is attached on the rear strap.

[​IMG]

The foliage green doesn't match, I know, but it will have to do for now. I might just dye it black along with the khaki EDC organiser I also have. I'm wishing now that I'd bought everything the same colour!

Contents of the pouch:
    Disposable lighter
    Navy CUI pry bar
    P51 can opener
    Whistle
    Light bandage
    Microporous tape
    Energy tablets
    Small pen
    Earphones
    Micro USB charge cable
    USB battery pack
    Small tube of superglue
    10' of paracord braided into a rope length
    Ibuprofen, Indigestion & Anti-allergy tablets
    Cable ties wrapped with duct tape

[​IMG]

I also taped some dressings, elastoplast and antiseptic wipes together and stashed them in the small side pocket sleeve in the Jumbo. Sharpie labelled them so I can grab any of them in a hurry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With this arrangement there is zero bulk from the other pockets on the inside compartment so it's as good as it's gonna get!

18. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

The Jumbo is great and lightweight, but if we're out with the kids all it takes is a couple of drinks bottles, or one of them to remove their coat and hand it to me to carry...then that's it - the Jumbo is full or bursting at the seams. So I decided it was really a backpack job if we're out for the day. It's a bit of a liberty since I already have a really nice Kriega R20 which is the same size and capacity, but it doesn't have any organisation. It was designed for motorcycle carry and is great in that role, the chest harness is second to none but the lack of admin and organisation is an issue when you've got all sorts of random stuff needed for a day out with the family.

So yesterday I ordered another item from 5.11, it turned up today, a Rush 12! Strangely I was talking to a colleague at work over Skype today and he mentioned he's just bought a Rush 24 on a trip to the US. We have never talked about EDC or anything of that nature before, he just dropped it in conversation. Anyway, I did plenty of research from this fine forum and decided that the 12 should fit my needs, and on first examination it seems to do just that. My macbook 13" fits in the hydration compartment which is great, because the whole inner compartment is then free for other stuff and none of it's scratching the laptop up. The only downside is the laptop won't fit if it's in a thin sleeve, there's just not quite enough space, but I can live with it.

[​IMG]

Came with this here patch which is possibly not appropriate since I'm a bloke. Maybe my wife will want it. I just ordered a star wars one instead :)

[​IMG]

I'm working on loading it out at the moment.

[​IMG]

So far I've got a sharpie, a S&W tactical pen, Swisschamp, earphones, some deodorant stick and my asthma inhaler in there. I'm trying to do this properly and just load it up with what I'll need or use, rather than chuck a load of random stuff in it.

[​IMG]

Elastoplasts, dressings, tablets and wipes all go nicely in here.

[​IMG]Hoping to get out with it over the weekend and give it a try. Seems like it will be comfy and hold about the right quantity of stuff.

19. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

5.11 Rush update and bag dump...

Here it is fully loaded for an overnight work trip down to London...

[​IMG]

Not too bulky, right?

Contents of the main compartment; a change of clothes rolled up and behind the cinch section, along with an umbrella (hey it is the UK after all!) And a Kriega Kube with laptop charger etc inside. Also Maxpedition coin pouch with my house keys inside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside the main compartment net pouches we have a Maxpedition micro with my Nokia, notebook, pen, minichamp and thrunite ti2. The other pouch has toiletries in a simple pouch bag.

[​IMG]

Shades in the fleece lined pouch... Won't be needing these today!...

[​IMG]

Macbook pro 13" and notepad in the hydration pouch.

[​IMG]

Loads of stuff in the rear compartment. Noise cancelling headphones, iPad mini, wallet, wipes, tissues, deodorant, dressings, elastoplast, inhaler, basically most of my EDC regardless of whether I'm at work out on a day out with the family.

[​IMG]

So far I like the Rush 12 a lot. It's built tough and I can see it's going to last a long time. I am however struggling with the shoulder straps a little. Hard to explain but the combination of that curved join between the straps, and that they are slightly close together composed to many backpacks, coupled with them sitting flat rather than sloping away slightly towards your shoulders... The result is that more pressure is on the inside edge of the straps than the outside which causes them to dig in a little. I am hoping that with a bit of use they will break in a bit and give where they need to. Other than that minor issue the Rush is a great backpack!

Interestingly, this is about the same as I could fit in my Swissgear synergy but that was about 12" front to back when loaded. I never looked having that much backpack behind me, I'm sure half of it was padding!

20. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

New patch arrived for the 5.11 :)

[​IMG]