1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

NR73's EDC thread

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by nr73, Apr 30, 2014.

1. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

I'm starting this thread to track my EDC progress. I'll say at the outset that one of the reasons I decided to organise my EDC was to avoid bag-swapping stuff all the time. As a result I accept that there are certain must-have items that I will need to buy at least once to have in each bag I use. That in turn veers me more towards cheap stuff that I can afford to buy a few of, to put in each bag.

At present my bags are purposed like so:

Work bag
    Out and about bag
    Overnight bag
    Motorbike bag (haven't organised this yet)

And then there's my Car boot (trunk for you Americans :) )

Ok first up are my Wallet and keys...

Vehicle and house keys are separate because I ride a motorbike too. I guess it's an old habit. I don't like a big bunch of keys jangling near the steering wheel or around the top yoke on my bike.

Car keys have a carabiner which I clip to my belt loop and the keys sit in my pocket. Got a nite tritium keyring on there in case I lose my keys in the dark.

House keys have a homemade paracord carabiner attachment used the same way, along with a Victorinox SAK signature light and a cheapie Navy CUI pry bar tool which I have found very useful in the two days I've had it.

Wallet is a LifeVenture model which has a couple of change pockets so I can keep UK and European currencies separate (I travel quite a lot as part of my job).

[​IMG]

2. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Next up is my 'work' EDC which consists of a Wenger laptop rucksack and a Maxpedition Micro.

The Wenger has good enough internal organisation with a couple of mesh pockets for cables, and an admin section at the rear. I added a paracord pull tab on the pocket which I use the most, and that always gets 'lost' between the two handles.

[​IMG]

The admin section, here I keep some noise cancelling headphones for those long tedious train or plane journeys. It also contains a multitool (a cheap one in case I forget to remove it before flying somewhere and it gets confiscated), some indigestion tablets and painkillers, inhalers for my asthma, earplugs, a microfiber cloth, USB sticks and a pen.

[​IMG]

Next up is the Maxpedition. In here I keep a spare inhaler, a USB backup battery, lighter, a short 'noodle' charge cable for my iphone, a pouch of hand warmers, Elastoplast, alcohol wipe, mini maglite, and another cheap multitool. This is my minimum carry so I can remove it easily from this bag if I need to transfer it. I added a paracord loop with a tail which I leave sticking out between two zips so this can be retrieved very easily

[​IMG]

3. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Next up is my out-and-about bag, mainly used if I'm travelling anywhere at the weekend, either walkabout in the city somewhere or out at the park with my kids.

I was unsure what type of bag would suit my needs, and the MaxP versipacks caught my eye. They looked easy and convenient to carry but I didn't want to spend £60 on one to find out it didn't work for me so I went with this one which cost £15. It's obviously a complete copy of the Versipack, and my intent is to replace this with a MaxP sometime soon. This will get rotated to my car boot.

I added some paracord to the zips, and a convenient loop with carabiner for either hanging it up in the cupboard or clipping a camera or my baseball hat to it when out somewhere.

The Trunk Monkey badge needs no explanation. The mobile phone pouch on the right is not large enough for a smartphone, so I instead use it to hold a small Cree torch and a basic multitool. Both of them have lanyards attached and I clip the side-release buckle through the lanyards to make sure they don't escape easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside the front pouch I keep a small backup mobile phone, a deodorant stick, a lightning charge cable and some energy tablets.

[​IMG]

In the main compartment I keep my Maxpedition EDC organiser which I'll detail shortly.

[​IMG]

4. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

On to the Max EDC organiser...

In the left hand pouch we have:

Zip tie with 2' of duct tape wrapped around it
    iPhone earbuds
    6" of self-amalgamating tape
    Fisher space pen
    Utility pen (regular pen, iPad stylus, ruler, spirit level and mini bit-driver)
    Micro USB charge cable
    iPhone Lightning 'noodle' charge cable
    Lighter
    USB stick with iPhone SIM tool attached

In the sleeve pocket there are some painkillers and indigestion tablets

On the right hand pouch:
    Small AA Cree torch
    Asthma inhaler
    Permanent marker
    2400mah USB charge stick

In the sleeve pocket there's also a handwarmer pouch and some elastoplast.

[​IMG]

5. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Keyring dangler arrived today, doubles as a money clip and there's a decent enough flat blade driver and bottle opener on it. I bought three as it was £1.59 each on eBay. Call me cheap but I'm surprised how tough grade the steel is. Also pictured is my cheapie Navy CUI which got a battering earlier when I came home to find my good lady had removed the carpets from our kids rooms, but left the carpet gripper rails. I got to work removing them with the CUI and a small hammer, expecting the CUI to show some signs of abuse but it doesn't at all.

Also I think I am a Victorinox convert. My signature light is well made, sharp, weighs next to nothing and is getting used on a daily basis. I'm so glad I bought it and I doubt it will be my only Victorinox for long. Their reputation is well deserved. Together with the CUI I can tackle most small spur-of-the-moment jobs.

[​IMG]

6. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Made some changes this morning as the whole bunch was getting a bit bulky. Also I'd like to be able to carry just pry bar and SAK on occasion. So I made up a shorter paracord key fob with carabiner and a loop, got rid of the split ring and moved all my keys into the true utility shackle on the paracord loop. Now if it's keys only, it's super compact, keys hanging inside pocket from belt loop.

Next job was to replace the paracord loops on the SAK and Navy CUI pry bar. While
    I was at it, I put a Macgyver clip (I think that's what they're called) on the paracord too. Both can be clipped onto new super happy lucky Chinese eBay dangler or the whole lot can be merged with my key setup.

I left enough lanyard that you can pass it through something else such as belt loop, paracord or any gap then pass it through itself on the other side so it stays there.

[​IMG]

7. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Well I think I scored a reasonable deal today. I've been looking for a larger SAK, you can never have too many SAK's can you? I've been looking at the farmer, cadet, and numerous others. I then came across the Explorer which seems to be the right balance of size, tools and functionality for me. Typical price on the interweb appears to be £35, I found it on Tesco direct of all places where I have some bonus points because I have a credit card with them. Total price delivered after vouchers applied: £21. Can't wait for it to turn up, looks like it will be just the job. Next stop: an Alox!!

8. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Well I gave in earlier and ordered a Classic HD Alox in orange. The explorer hasn't arrived yet so I've now got 2 SAK's incoming. You lot should have warned me about getting addicted to these puppies...

9. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Alox has landed :)

[​IMG]

10. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

The Explorer has arrived - very happy with the quality of this model :)

[​IMG]

Pictures with its brethren. A few weeks ago I didn't even own a SAK :)

[​IMG]

11. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Saw this earlier when I went out for lunch, I've been looking for this type of wallet for a while now so I snapped it up. Much smaller than the LifeVenture wallet I've been using.

[​IMG]

Its slim enough for my purposes.

[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

12. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Made some changes to my keyring setup tonight. Removed the paracord because the overall length of keyring with tools was getting silly. Added small spring clips and small gate clips to pry bar, SAK's and added central spring clip back in to act as a hub from which tools can be unclipped when needed. Added my shock absorber pen to see how it goes.

Got as far as having TEC UFO and some python clips in my shopping basket before deciding that spending £25 on my keys was a bit overkill.

Can't decide whether to keep alox or signature light SAK on my keys, I usually have one or the other on the pocket dangler pictured but sods law I don't have it many times when I need it. The advantage of the SAK light is it's got a pen and torch built in, which means less tools on the key ring overall.

I also did a braided lanyard with carabinier for my SAK explorer, as I'm starting to keep it with me more and more often. It sits in my fifth pocket with the carabinier clipped to my belt loop. I will replace it with a decent carabiner when I pick one up.

In other news, I ordered a <whisper> Maxpedition jumbo in black yesterday and that's been despatched , so hopefully it will arrive tomorrow :)

[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

13. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Well, happy days, my Maxpedition Jumbo has just arrived! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

It was quite 'flat' on delivery as it was bagged up, so I've packed it with a few random items to bulk it out and help it take on it's normal shape. I've checked it over for any manufacturing or stitching defects and it seems absolutely fine.

[​IMG]

Going with the Jumbo rather than the Fatboy I think was the right choice. I do have a similar cheapie sling bag to this which I bought to see if this type of bag works for me, which it does, and that bag will get repurposed to my car boot for items as yet unknown. The cheapie is a tan/khaki colour which I never really liked.

Initial impressions...it seems very well made and tough, in fact I have motorcycle textile jacket and trousers which are not as sturdy as the nylon used in the Jumbo! The shoulder strap is wider than the one on my cheapie, which should help alleviate any digging in. The waist belt (rather than the velcro loop) should help with location and carry. Basically this thing seems very tough and I expect to use it for many many years which justifies the purchase price somewhat.

As it happens I had a second delivery too, a Kriega Kube 1. I'm not sure if Kriega is a familiar brand here on EDCF but it's basically motorcycle equipment, and I am a huge fan of it. Build quality is excellent, and they really think the functionality through. The Kube 1 is my latest addition, however it could be useful for some of you for general EDC I guess. It's made of sturdy padded nylon, is approximately the size of a Maxpedition Fatty pocket organiser. It only cost only £9 it was bargain of the week for me and too cheap to not have it. Perfect for storing cables, chargers, or personal items that you take from bag to bag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

While I'm at it, I'm going to talk a little here about my motorcycle EDC (if you can call it that) because the luggage I use may be of interest to some of you. As I said, I'm a huge fan of Kriega, and I find their gear is addictive in a similar way to other brands we all know and love.

First off is my Kriega R20 rucksack. It's made of sturdy nylon, with taped zips to make it waterproof (although it's not 100% waterproof it does take a monsoon for water ingress to occur). On the rear area you've got some attachment loops where you can add any of their 5, 10 or 20 litre dry bags, or you can use them to make an adjustable paracord net which is something I've done in the past. There's also a single large pocket protected by a waterproof zip and which the zip is not accessible once the cinch straps are connected which is a nice feature.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I added some paracord to the grab handle which was a little on the thin size for my liking, just to provide a better grip and make it easier to spot if I'm travelling.

At the front, as you can see it holds a hydration reservoir, I'm using my camel bak 3l reservoir in this and it works well. On the left hand shoulder strap I've added probably my favourite bag ever, a pocket kube. It loops around the strap, it could attach to any other rucksack with similar sized straps, or I've also used it to attach to my motorcycle handlebars and kept my camera in there for quick access. When I'm riding, I keep my mobile phone and wallet in this pocket, or my Olympus Tough camera on an S-biner cord so it doesn't go for a bounce if I take pictures while I'm on the move.

[​IMG]

It has what's called the quadloc-lite harness, which consists of extended shoulder straps that are curved to meet across your chest and connect with a clip in the centre. The straps are curved and adjustable, they retract into the bag and the effect of all this is to carry the load on your chest and torso rather than on your shoulders. When it's loaded and I'm wearing it, you can almost get a finger between the shoulder straps and my shoulders because the design of the bag is such that it intentionally removes load from the shoulder area. The dots on the adjustment straps are to provide accurate positioning, and Kriega go as far as to recommend positioning based on your height and size.

On the inside, it's got a divider with cinch straps, which you can either use like I'm doing here to keep the reservoir in place, or you can use it to compress clothing and give you the maximum capacity. There is a velcro loop at the top which the hydration reservoir hangs from too, and a keyper down the zip opening side.

[​IMG]

On the outside there's a decent sized zip pocket which is made of the same clear, mesh-reinforced material as on my kube 1. Overall this is a great rucksack which I use any chance I get, it's perfect for on the motorbike and recently it survived a 2-week motorbike tour of north vietnam which believe me was tough on our bike kit.

[​IMG]

Last up is my Kriega Stash wallet. This is a large wallet, the zip on the back can take a regular passport. Inside there are various slots and pouches to keep currencies separate. There's a key pocket with keyper and a velcro closure. There's a zip pocket for loose items such as coins or earplugs, and a cinch strap which keeps it all secure. On the back there's a wide fixed loop if you want to run a belt or strap through it. You'd be amazed how much you can fit in this thing, it will take my iPhone, keys, currency, a smaller wallet, earplus, earphones, passport, paperwork and still have room to spare. Plus when you run out of space on the inside you can put more stuff between the outside and the cinch strap. This was £9 and worth triple that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I always like to get ideas for equipment and gear that are from a different sphere or activity with similar needs, such as using yachting bags for motorcycling (tough and waterproof). If you only ever look at EDC type brands you would probably never happen across this equipment, so hopefully this is of interest to some of you. :)

15. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

This little puppy arrived today, a Thrunite Ti S. It's a single mode, single AAA cell Cree LED torch for my keyring or pocket carry to go with my SAK Explorer. I'm showing it in the photo next to my generic but commonly used Cree torch which runs off a single AA. As small as that is, the Thrunite is much smaller and weighs less than 100 grams. It's ridiculously small and light yet gives the larger Cree a run for it's money in terms of output. At 60 lumens it won't set the world on fire but is more than enough for a keyring torch. I was just outside testing it and it kit up trees over 100ft away, very impressive. I am going to buy the Ti 2 which gives another 30% more output.

All this for £5.95 delivered. Can't argue with that. It even comes with two spare O-rings.

Plus the quality of machining and anodising seems excellent to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is compared with the Cree on most focused setting. Cree on the left, Thrunite on the right. Not much in it is there?

[​IMG]

16. SMAJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SMAJ Loaded Pockets

Ooh, I am waiting on this in the mail! Do you like?

17. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

I love it! It's super compact, even compared to the regular classic because the Alox scales are flatter yet very strong. Build quality is excellent as always from victorinox.

The only problem is I know I'll have to buy at least one more Alox!!

18. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Well that's another new arrival, my Gerber Shard just turned up. Can't make my mind up about it, the black coating does not appeal to me but people seem to hold them in high regard. I'll see how useful it turns out to be. I'll sort out a paracord loop for it later.

[​IMG]

19. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Well a one-day offer on Amazon saw the Victorinox Swisschamp reduced from £45 to £30, so I did the honourable thing and bought one. It arrived today and I'm very pleased with it :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. nr73

nr73 Loaded Pockets

Haven't updated this thread in a while. My EDC levelled out then had to take a backseat for a while, but I've been trying to get it back in order recently. Been getting on very well with swiss army knives these last few months to the point where my Gerber hardly ever gets used now. But I don't have as many SAK yet for my edc needs. I tend to duplicate my kit across bags and locations so there were still a few gaps that needed filling.

So at the moment I've got a SAK Tinker and an Alox Minichamp both on order ;-)

Also ordered a few other bits to try out. First a maxpedition travel tray because I travel weekly as part of my job, and often find myself scouring the hotel room to make sure I've packed everything. Hasn't arrived yet but I'll post feedback when I've had chance to try it out.

Secondly I got a maxpedition coin purse to serve as combined wallet and holder for small items such as AAA torch and SAK or keys. Getting on well with that so far.

Now I'm getting my kit sorted out I'm feeling a bit more level. It was actually bothering me that my kit had got into disarray for a few months and I didn't know where things were when I needed them.