1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Notepads Collecting Dust

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by neutrontech, Mar 1, 2012.

1. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

@Temujin: Yeah - I've only ever owned one Moleskine. I did find an alternative at Office Depot for $4.00. Comes in both flexi and hard cover. :) Gotta love the back pocket too. I wish they came with graph ruled though.

I'm in love with Google Calendar and Google Docs. <3 Makes everything so much easier to sync and share with friends and colleagues.

2. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I have Google Apps integrated into my company. I love being able to use gmail's system for my own domain emails. Gives me administrative control over all the company's users for email, and allows me to have a shared contacts list, calendar, and docs. I have Google Calendar synced with my phone's built in one, and my office manager has instant access to my schedule. I'd have to say that incorporating Google Apps into my business has been the single most effective means of time management and increased productivity.

However, there is something to be said for writing things down. Helps me remember things easier and gives me something tangible to hold on to. I use index cards for my todo lists, so an index card wallet is of pretty high interest to me.

3. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

Man!! This thread has me looking for index card holders and I don't even use index cards!! Found several so I'm going to quit
    looking before I end up buying one.....or two.

4. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

For a good while, my index card holder was a binder clip.

5. tonystl

tonystl Loaded Pockets

I use Moleskines (ruled or graph paper versions) as journals. I've been doing this since 2003 and I have about 10 full of thoughts and just daily digests that are interesting to look back on. I also keep little bits of flotsam that find their way into my life (ticket stubs to Saint Louis Cardinals games, fortunes, and various other bits).

For day to day notes and what not I use Field Notes (www.fieldnotesbrand.com). They are expensive but I love the feel and design. They fit right behind my wallet and take quite a beating.

For digital notes I use Notsey on my iPhone. It links with DropBox so my notes are backed up and editable no matter where I am or what machine I'm on.

6. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

@Temujin: Mine too!

If you've got the monies for it, Levenger has some great stuff (pocket briefcase or w/e it's called)

ETA: Here it is! I present to you, the Shirt Pocket Briefcase. There are a couple other ones too. But this one's nice and simple.

7. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

I actually have a Levenger Pocket Briefcase. It was a gift from a cousin who is more well-heeled than I. But it's so nice and expensive, I rarely take it out in the field.

8. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Sadly mine is collecting dust too :(

I spent nearly 20 years as a musician so I always had small books for song writing or production ideas etc, but since I medically retired myself I have no need for them really.

I carry a small cheap pad for notes which are throwaway really, everything else is in my iphone.

9. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

i keep post-it note pads handy
    lots of different sizes and colors, inexpensive enough, and the written notes can be left wherever appropriate (car dashboard, refrigerator, aquarium, etc)

10. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I actually have two or three pads - a cheapie 3 x 5 notepad for quick jotting, business notes and so on. A Moleskine or similar journal for more detailed, usually personal doodling. And then a black sketchbook-turned-journal at home, under lock and key for the deeply personal stuff I'm trying to sort out in my head.

I used to live, professionally speaking, out of those government-issue green memo books - long-term notes, numbers, specs, and whatnot stored in the front and short term work in the back.

-Trevor

11. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Some great replies everyone. I've got some new ideas to research and some new stuff to buy! It's really interesting to see how different folks use these notepads. This has also reminded me that my time management skills and my follow thru has been a bit lacking lately. It's nice to see new ideas to break the monotony of my day to day. It's got me wondering if I should create a time management/efficiency thread, to explore more of these ideas further. Especially the different systems, like GTD.

12. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I essentially do what you do, only I don't rip out the pages and just leave them in the notebook - passwords, item codes, shopping lists, addresses, etc... That and lots of doodling. This way you can write multiple notes to a page and it is easy to follow given I normally only need the last few notes so can just flip to the last page (not a journal or research information where you may want to organise by the dewey decimal system ;) )

I quite like the smallest Moleskines for example - a size I can stuff in a pocket, they seem to hold up well to being carried and it takes me a fair while to get through one (most having met their end courtesy of the washing machine rather than being utterly full) so are not too expensive in the long run.

As an alternative, if you do want to remove notes, how about getting a business card holder then cutting down a few sheets of paper to fit? Small, easy to carry, and easy to use and refill.

13. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I'm a note-maker, not a "journaler". I find the Rhodia top-stapled pads are the best for my use. The paper quality is much better than Moleskine, the pages are perforated, and they come in many sizes (I prefer the #11 size--approx 3"x4" A7 size). If there were a comparable U.S.-made product (they're made in France), I would buy it, but unfortunately, I've found nothing comparable from the U.S. These go for about $2 a pad (80 pages), so they're a much better bargain & higher quality compared to the Moleskine's which are more hype than anything else.

14. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Another item added to the buy list. Thanks!

15. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

The library I work in switched to a computer catalog 20 years ago, but everyone still uses the old catalog cards for random notes. It's unbelievable, 20 years and we still have tons of them left! It's an inexhaustible supply. But then we also use the backsides of discarded printer and copier paper.

I also have some nice notebooks (Moleskine, Calepino etc.) collecting dusk, because I don't keep a journal or diary and, well, I just don't have anything to write in them. Except one Moleskine, which I use for writing down some funny things my kids say. 15-20 years from now, I will be able to embarrass the heck out of them with those quotes.

16. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

For everyday notes and information I carry around inexpensive small pocket spiral bound notebooks you can get at Staples or CVS. Lately I like the ones with plastic covers since the covers are more durable. I should index and file a lot of these notes but I don't. Looking at old notebooks I can often find information I have forgotten. Sometimes I dedicate a small notebook to a specific project or topic (parent's medications and medical care, for example).

I have two leather covers for smaller Moleskines from Renaissance Leather. One of them is dedicated to health notes for specific conditions including To Dos, Goals & Plans, etc. There are also miscellaneous notes about other projects. Each topic has its own series of pages, all summarized in a first page Table of Contents. Another small looseleaf is a diet diary so I can determine the effects of different foods etc. on my health.

I have a larger leatherbound notebook I picked up at Sam's Club years ago for my personal journal. I'm an editor/writer and have kept sporadic journals over the years. If done when I'm in the proper mood, they help me think things through more clearly. If I'm not in a good mood it just degenerates into negativity. That's the reason I stopped journaling a few years ago, but I have begun to journal again.

A lot of notes about nutrition, projects, information I want to save goes into Version 7 of Info Select, a freeform database I first started using years ago when it was called Tornado Notes (for DOS, if you remember DOS). I had reviewed the software for a publication I worked for, and liked it so I started using it. I like it because if I back up properly I can save notes from years and years ago, and searching is very fast. I also use it to track my editorial projects. Version 7 is not the most recent version, but it is stable and I have had no problems transporting it across upgraded operating systems.

Then there is my DayTimer. I have used a portable Daytimer for many years, and use it for To Do lists and a variety of other things, including notes from radio programs I want to save.

Lately I have also started using small Rhodia notebooks with graph paper to list vital things to do, projects, and other things I want to maintain focus on. With all the crazy things going on in my life lately, maintaining focus is a challenge. But for some reason the graph paper helps.

I wouldn't call this a system. It just grows on its own accord....

17. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

I used Daytimers several years ago, but about the only thing I every wrote in them were my hours worked each day. Couldn,t see
    paying for them when I could do the same thing with a $2.00 pocket planer.

18. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I also use index cards for random notes and ideas. For a long time, my index cards were kept together with a binder clip. The binder clip worked, but I disliked having to unclip it every time I wanted to look through the cards. I tried knock-offs of Levenger's shirt pocket brief case and wallet index card holder, but they were bulky. There are many similar index card holders at Staples, Office Max, and Office Depot.

Eventually, I made my own note pads with index cards by using a Levenger Circa Travel Punch and Circa disks. This system has worked very well for me since I can easily flip through the cards and I can move them around as need be.

Once I have collected the information on my notepad, I basically file it where it needs to be. New appointments are added to Google Calendar, tasks are broken done and logged as needed, and other items are saved as references or recycled. I use Getting Things Done to get things done. It has a bit of a cult following, but it is worth a read if you are not satisfied with your task management.

19. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

^ Love the circa line of stuff. I actually ended up getting a rollabind (got it for cheap via the 'Bay) set and it's worked quite well. Staples now has the Arc line as well. :)

I hadn't read the GTD book in its entirety, but I have adopted some of its ideas. :) Great stuff.

20. Blackbeagle
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blackbeagle Loaded Pockets

The current best 3x5 spiral notepad that I've found is sold at Sam's. Made by Mead/Cambridge, 70 pages, college rule and very heavy, very white paper. I tend to use it for quick notes that I may want to jot down. I tear our the sheet later. For things like the Picadilly notebooks where the pages don't tear out, I tend to use those for more permanent info.