1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Notepads Collecting Dust

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by neutrontech, Mar 1, 2012.

1. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Ok. I use notepads to jot things down here and there. Normally, what I write down is temporary and once the information is used, I tear out the page and throw it away. If it's a phone number, it ends up in my phone. A password, it ends up in a spreadsheet. A part number, it gets ordered. Because of this, I'm hesitant on buying nice notepads like Moleskins because once enough pages are ripped out, it looks horrible and sometimes just falls apart.

My question is, what is everyone writing down that consumes multiple nice notebooks? I think they are really nice and a pleasure to write on, but doesn't take long before it's charm deteriorates.

Maybe I'm just missing out on something that could make my life easier?

2. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

For every day notes (much likes your - phone numbers, quick reminders, shopping lists...), I'll use index cards. For more important things (meeting notes, journaling, and the occasional doodle), I'll use my "moleskine" (no-name similar products).

Cheers.

3. mikey

mikey Banned

I recycle printer paper and just use the back side. Alot of it lately is from what I printed out and saved but in December I purge my files so things I have bought/sold and all that type of papers get recycled. Old printouts from purchases from Ebay, Paypal, etc.

I fold it in half twice so it is about 3x5 and cut them up so I have a pile of scrap paper for notes, etc. It might have been old manuals, instructions, company orientation packets, etc. Things that are usually only used on one side.

4. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

^ I do that for school notes! :) Very handy. I'm a little bummed that my Kinkos won't let me have their discarded paper though. :( I get mine from a small office I used to volunteer at.

5. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

Some people like to make a journal of their days and personal thoughts, others just jot stuff down on random pieces of paper and then throw them away. I'm the latter. I started to carry a small Moleskin a couple of years ago to jot stuff down, after a year I had to patch up the notebook because it was falling apart. My daughter likes to keep a journal of random quotes of things that her friends or kids say. I've started to write down stuff that I've "misheard". I'm also trying to keep some information written down so I don't have an information meltdown if my cell phone goes down. I think keeping a journal is something that you do naturally or you have to put a lot of effort into to make it a habit.

6. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

I have some larger graphing paper pads I use for project notes and meeting with clients. A smaller journal book like a moleskin, would be pretty convenient though. When you say journaling, do you mix journal entries in the same book as your notes? Like you could go back to a specific date, and see all the notes and journal entries, and doodles? If so, what about projects that require multiple meetings? Seems the notes would get difficult to follow through multiple pages. I normally enter my project notes into the client's account notes on the computer.

I do this as well for a stack of notepaper at my desk. Great for phone calls and whatnot.

7. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

I think you are right on there. After the wife left a couple years ago, I tried keeping a journal of my thoughts and feelings in an effort to understand them and help cope. It wasn't long before I became uncomfortable with so much private stuff being written down, and then destroyed it. I think that had more to do with my ability to trust being so badly damaged.

8. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

I keep a research log going in my moleskin for each project I start.

I have come to the point where I can pre-map my workflow pattern, leave enough spaces for names, numbers and email addresses I come across on the way and as I go through I log the tools, terms, facilities, index numbers etc that I have used along the way. I also jot the file path to wherever I'm saving reference material, but in my own shorthand.

When it comes to open-source research tools on the internet, they are constantly evolving and changing layout etc, so I often jot the changes or any new functions in writing, as doing so 'burns it in' to my memory better, so I have found.

None of it would make sense to anyone unless they had my computer as well, so I'm not concerned about losing it and compromising any info.

I sometimes have to interview people, or at least take down important parts of a conversation. So I burn through notebooks pretty fast. I'm on my on my third one already this year.

Whilst I could do all this on my iPad, it just doesn't feel the same... also, if I pull it out in a cafe or on public transport, to refresh my memory on the way somewhere, it doesn't attract the attention that an iPad would.

9. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I have 2 notebooks - one for meetings and one for everything else + journaling.

In the one notebook for everything, I go front-to-back with random notes and thoughts. Doodles (since done in pencil) ONLY go on the right-hand side pages so that when closed, two pictures wouldn't rub graphite all over the other. The journaling portion starts back-to-front and flipped upside down. :) That's just how I've found works best for me.

In the meeting notes, before I start a new notebook, I always write page numbers down. If I have multiple meetings and need to refer back to anything, I have page numbers written down as well as annotations. You can also use a table of contents too, but that's a little harder to keep track of - I got into that habit during Chemistry lab, but because meeting notes jump back and fourth, it proved harder to keep one the table of contents.

10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Write in them? Nuh-uh. There too expensive. I just carry my Rite-in-the-Rain 3"X5" around. I write on scraps of other peoples paper.

No, really, I have much need to write so I only have the Rite-in-the-Rain notepad for in case.

11. antonic

antonic Loaded Pockets

I've been using Moleskines for years now and I've been using this GTD Moleksine hack for better organization and brain dumps.

http://lifehacker.com/224816/gtd-moleskine-hacked

It's a life saver to be honest. I finish more tasks and I save tons of time in my fast paced lifestyle.

I use the back pocket for receipts and extra notes I may need for later use and throw them away on monthly basis.

It also became a wallet as well but I've moved all my wallet stuff to a Brookstone thin wallet which will soon be replaced by a HuMn carbon fiber rifd blocking wallet.

12. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

I do the very same thing. I like writing stuff on index cards then going through them at the end of the day to organize and process the captured information. Any appointments, follow-ups or reminder get added to Google Calendar or ReQall, as apppropriate. For projects and related meetings, I have a paper form (letter size) that I use to capture that information. For less formal meetings and discussions, I can pretty well take notes on those index cards, then if the information is important enough to retain, I make an entry in my notebook.

Was using Moleskine until quality went down and price went up. Then I found a clone, Piccadilly notebooks. Less than half the price. Then I lost my source when Borders shut down. Recently I found some notebooks at Walmart, but I will probably be trying out the notebooks from Field Notes.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I found a cheap clone of the Levenger Pocket Briefcase at my local Office Depot. I keep my on-hand supply of index cards in it.

13. antonic

antonic Loaded Pockets

I'm really thinking about using 3x5 notecards instead of Moleskines. I agree they're not cheap and quality gone down. Temujin do you have a SKU or code ID of the Levenger clone? TIA

14. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Interesting read. Thanks for the link. I'm always open to new ways to stay on task.

15. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

I carry a cheap 3 x5 note pad. Buy them in 4 or 5 packs from staples. In the front I write down things I'm not going to keep, shopping lists, to do lists, etc. In the back I write down web sites I run across and want to go back to , or address and phone #'s until I can put them in an address book.

16. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

No, unfortunately I don't. But looking at it, it was made by Oxford. Also, Franklin Planner used to have a bifold index card wallet that was pretty nice and reasonably priced.

Late update: Some googling around turned up this: http://indexcardholder.com/leather-index-card-holder/

It's just like what I have.

17. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hey that's pretty neat. I just bookmarked it to my "want to buy" folder.

18. antonic

antonic Loaded Pockets

Thanks temujin. I think I'm set.

19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

That is cool!

20. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

Googling some more, try searching "index card wallet". Turns up some interesting stuff. There's a spiffy looking one from Rite In The Rain.

Oh, and my index card holder isn't great looking. If I am in a business setting, I will just put some index cards in the back pocket of my Moleskine (or Moleskine-clone). That way, I also have my notes in case I have to look something up in a meeting.