1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Notebooks, which do you carry?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by outdoorsman1911, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the EDC Forums "r-ice".
    Run away while you can!!

Jason

2. recklesstryg

recklesstryg Loaded Pockets

MoleSkins are the best for me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They have many Flavors:
    Unlined
    Lined
    Squared
    Planner

In different sizes:
    Small
    Large

and different bindings:
    Hard
    Soft
    Cashier

3. recklesstryg

recklesstryg Loaded Pockets

I have the same problem. I have re bound my current notebook a few times. I am going to finish using this notebook then get a soft cover Moleskine. I think that soft cover will be able to handle the back pocket abuse

4. yoyosma

yoyosma Loaded Pockets

My bag always has a Moleskine for GTD lists w/ a Uniball Signo micro 207 clipped on the elastic. Perfect for that paper.

The outside pocket of my bag has a Moleskine kraft brown pocket cahier for the quick grab for jotting of notes, grocery lists, phone numbers, measurements of stuff i need to pick up at home depot, etc. The jotted notes later get transferred to the list notebook for action management tracking. A brushed stainless steel slim Sheaffer Targa is clipped inside.

Around the house my EDC is my (omnipresent) chrome Fisher Space bullet pen with a folded up index card for jotting notes.

:wave:

5. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

heres one that i made, i wanted one that would stand up to the abuse, but at the same time i wanted one that would be easy to find replacement books, so i made the leather outer case to fit a 3x5 composition book, where you can even get from a dolor store, and i put the strap to keep a expandable zebra on,,, JR

Attached Files:

6. forcedefrappe

forcedefrappe Loaded Pockets

Moleskines for me too, plain (volant) pocket size one in bag for sketches and ruled Cahier in pocket because the thicker ones fall apart too quickly.

7. forcedefrappe

forcedefrappe Loaded Pockets

As a sidenote;

Cahier & Volant use thicker, better quality paper so take that into consideration if you use fountain pens-

If it wasn't for Cahier and Volant moleskines I would use Clairefontaine notebooks exclusively simply for the quality of the paper.

8. carise

carise Empty Pockets

I've always wanted a Moleskine but couldn't justify spending the money. So while I procrastinate getting myself one, I'm still using up some mini wirebound notepads from Staples (lost my mini composition notebook one, sigh...). I got a pack of 6 for something like 99 cents (and free shipping, woot!). They're pretty handy because sometimes I find that I have to rip out pages, and I know I would never want to do that to a Moleskine. And they come in nice basic colors, like blue, red, orange, lime green, and black. :)

9. Baba Brad

Baba Brad Empty Pockets

I carry a couple Moleskine Cahier squared pages with me. Which, someoe was asking, the last 16 pages are perforated for easy tearing.
    But, snce they are so small and fill up quickly, they are usually used for throw away notes. Grocery, shopping lists, phone numbers on the fly, to do's, I have a "Markings" brand that I picked up at Target. Heavier cover, 100+ pages, elastic to keep closed. Lined pages. Usually end up transferring the more important stuff over from the moleskine. And use it for my searching for lists. Stuff I want/need and always hope I'll run across and can compare to my list so not to buy too many duplicates of a particular book or something.

10. XeroTheHero

XeroTheHero Loaded Pockets

Thanks to these forums, I discovered Moleskine and have been EDC-ing one for a while now. I keep a softcover in my back pocket, one of the smaller notebooks (one that comes in a pack of 3) in my car, and I keep 1 or 2 on my desk for different things. I also turned my fiance on to them, and she now carries one in her purse! I have to say, i'm addicted to these little things, lol. I also picked up one of the larger notebooks for other uses.

Also picked up one of the Piccadilly brands just to check it out as I've read about them as well and decided to give it a go. not bad, but to me it just feels..for lack of a better word, cheaper. That sort of makes it sound snobby huh lol.

I'm very interested in the Rite in the Rain notebooks. I'm thinking about grabbing one or two of those soon.

11. Baba Brad

Baba Brad Empty Pockets

I carry a Rite in the Rain on all my camping and hiking trips. They are great notebooks, smooth writing and they do hold up well in wet weather. Took mine to SCotland this past summer for my trip journal.

Thinking of getting a few of the Mil Spec tablets. I have one, but only have a dozen or so pages left in it.

12. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Their new Volant books (soft cover in a variety of sizes) come in colors, and some of the pages are perforated, so you are invited to rip 'em put when you absolutely have to! Still not as inexpensive as the Staples books, but I love 'em.

13. themadplumbarian

it depends on what you call expensive, i found a place that sells nice moleskine covers, its pretty much the same as the one that i made, i think im going to make one smaller, to except the little pads, cause my butts getting soar,,, also when my grand father passed away, i got his roll top, and the accessories that were in it, one that was a very slim, spring loaded metal case, that a pen holds it closed, just a little scratched up, but i would think it would hurt, since theres no flex plus i cant find any refills, theres no name to it... heres the link to the covers,,, http://www.renaissance-art.com/Prod129/Product.aspx
    JR

14. STHFNGLD

STHFNGLD Empty Pockets

Moleskine large black Cahier. so far its held up very well :D I am planning on getting a large and pocket hard/soft cover. :woohoo: hopefully they will impress me just as much

15. XeroTheHero

XeroTheHero Loaded Pockets

I have a feeling they will. I tried the cheaper Piccadilly and they hold up nicely, but they just don't feel the same to me as a Moleskine, so I'm going to stick with those for a while. Its actually getting to be time to pick up my planner for 09!

I'm still interested in trying a Rite in the Rain notebook, as well as one of the Stifflexible notebooks I saw recently.

16. themadplumbarian

the rit-in-the-rain, are great, i got a zebra extending pen, small calculater, one of those $.99 calenders, and my busseness cards. all to fit in the 3x5,,, well worth it... JR

17. STHFNGLD

STHFNGLD Empty Pockets

ha, i think its time for EVERYONE to get excited for the purchase of '09 organizers. gotta get me one too.

18. MikeDub

MikeDub Loaded Pockets

I use Moleskine Cahiers (pocket sized, squared) at work and a regular, softcover squared Moleskine any other time. I'm curious about Field Notes brand notebooks. Anyone have any input/opinions? Thanks in advance! :cheers:

19. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

I previously mentioned my Rite in the Rain, w/ cover & accessories. Here's pics:

[img width=640 height=424]http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/5559/7maincontentsae7.jpg[/img]
    [​IMG]
    Admin center: Rite in the Rain pen, Pentel Handylines retractable highlighter, Sharpie Twin tip, Pilot G-2 compact w/ 0.7 lead. Rite in the Rain 3x5 notebook, about six 3x5 cards with ¼” grid on one side, held together wit a small binder clip to a business envelope folded in thirds. Ten 3x3 Post-It notes stuck to the 3x5’s. A few paperclips holding four forever stamps, & one paperclip marking my page in the notebook. 4GB flash drive, dummy corded to the notebook (on the premise that it’s harder to loose a bigger thing. I’m sure I’ll prove that idea wrong soon enough). This is moving to the useless realm as all flash media has been banned at work. Bic White-Out mini. SD card reader with micro SD reader adapter (f/ Centro). Post-it mini flags.

It's too big for pocket carry, other than cargo pockets. As I said I carry it in my Man Purse.

20. Guarddog
    • In Omnia Paratus

Guarddog EDC Junkie !!!!!

I use the Franklin Covey Index card wallet. It’s a little cheaper than some and folds over and covers up the cards which I like. Check out a link to it in this post. The whole thread has some good ideas as well.

If you are interested check out this thread for more thoughts on index cards also.