1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Notebooks, which do you carry?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by outdoorsman1911, Sep 21, 2008.

1. user24

user24 Empty Pockets

I use a now-discontinued A7 "globetrotter" brand notepad produced by WHSmith (don't know if they're just a UK chain?).
    Quality is so-so, but it's the form-factor that does it for me - it happily fits in any pocket. It's so hard to find an A7 pad :mad:

2. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

I started searching the ones you mentioned, and finally signed up at a pen forum. :)

3. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

I just recently bought a three pack of Field Notes (fieldnotesbrand.com). Nice retro look, graph paper, and slim. Pretty handy!

Has anyone found any Moleskins, or the like, that have tear-away graph paper?

4. joker354

joker354 Loaded Pockets

Good idea. That is where I went to get the suggestions. Although I must say, there is just no substitute for trying them yourself. Shoot me an email. Maybe I can help you with what your looking for.

Eric.

5. speedmaster

speedmaster Loaded Pockets

6. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Thanks Eric- email sent. It might be choppy, I was using my PDA. :)

Here is a link to the pen forum, in case anyone was wondering: www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

Jason

7. maxray

maxray Loaded Pockets

The Cahier's last 16 pages are perforated...comes in handy.

Cahier Link

8. socrates

socrates Empty Pockets

@El Verbo: It's the same with my Moleskine with squared (graph paper) pages. I don't quite recall though whether it was sixteen pages since I've torn out a number already.

9. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

Thanks for the suggestion fellas! O0

10. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

Rite in the Rain has been my staple for years now, mainly due to it's durability. I currently EDC the 3"x5" top spiral in a cover that I call my mobile office & it goes in my bag. If I were to pocket carry I would recommend the same size with the side sewn binding. The main detractor is price. I don't write that much down on the go so, It's justified for me (I also get the bound 4 5/8"x7 1/4" from work). Regular pens ball point pens don't writer very well on their paper. I just get the space pens & I prefer pencils anyway.

11. TheFreakinBear

I've got Rite in the Rain notepads in my EDC, BOB, car, just about everywhere. On my person I carry a little $.88 composition notebook I got from work. I would use my RitR notebook while I'm at work but there is nothing that I'll be writing down worth keeping.

In my RitR notepads, I try to keep important information and I make sure that in each of them I have a list of "ICE" or In Case of Emergencies. I have my wife, parents, grandparents, etc. I typically carry one of their bullet style pens but due to people constantly trying to take them, I leave them in my EDC and use a Bic ballpoint pen or a mechanical pencil.

They are very good notebooks for their price IMHO and when I was in the Army as a supply guy, I would make sure to order tons of them so the troops were prepared for whatever.

Now though, if you go into my home office, you'll find a 3 drawer organizer with writing utensils, one with fancy resume paper, and then the last drawer fillled with pocket-sized Rite in the Rain pads, the $.88 composition notepads, and Moleskine notepads. They all serve their purpose at a time and I like how they all function.

Someone before had mentioned Black n' Red. I think they look pretty cool and are the more "manly" of the journals you can find at places like OfficeMax but at the same time, I can't really get past how "emo" the style is. I've used one at work before and was impressed with the quality and how easily my pens would write on the paper but again, can't get past the "emo".

My favorite all-time note pads would be the Moleskine pocket-sized notepads. Rite in the Rain rocks but I like how there is a piece of elastic to keep it closed and some of them, if you can find them, have a little pocket to keep things in. I found that not every pocket-sized pad I bought from them had it but oh well! :shrug:

12. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Well I stopped by Rite-Aid and Office Depot looking at the Black n' Red notebooks. Nice, but didn't get one at Rite Aid, everything(only 3) over $5.00 and I didn't feel like spending that tonight.
    Office Depot had one A5 notebook laying there. Polyprop cover, wire binding-- price was marked $3.99, but all the others were above $5.00 like Rite Aid. I had them scan it to make sure, bought it and brought it home. My wife asked what I was going to write in it...nothing yet, but I'll have a Black n' Red notebook just in case. :)
    Besides being a bag :censored:, and knife steel snob, now I am a notebook...something. Notebook pimp maybe. I have 3 or 4 sitting around waiting for the right "job".

13. Styerman

Styerman Empty Pockets

I carry Rite in the Rain in the breast pocket and moleskine note books . The RinR notebooks are for more transient stuff , the moleskine is for more enduring information .

Chris

14. laurent

laurent Empty Pockets

Clairefontaine notepads. Any size and kind of binding, depending on my needs.

15. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

I carry a Moleskine pocket-sized reporter style grid-ruled notebook for notes I want to keep. My wallet is a Levenger International Pocket Briefcase with grid-ruled 3x5 cards for notes I want to give other people and quick or disposable notes like URLs and grocery lists. I keep a Zebra F-301 in the wallet's pen slot.

16. FlaRider

FlaRider Loaded Pockets

I have been using a Mika field officer notebook that fits a 3x5 spiral pad. I believe that it is made with the same material he uses for pocket holsters. Nicely made for a reasonable price. http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/index.html

17. GeneralDiscontent

GeneralDiscontent Empty Pockets

I carry a Moleskine pocket notebook, with lots of Post-It colored flags to use as a simplified GTD organizer. I keep a Moleskine Cahier inside of it as an address book - I learned that having all your numbers in your cellphone doesn't do any good if the batteries die! :shocked:

18. quattrokid73

quattrokid73 Loaded Pockets

I have a Rhodia pocket note pad and a Rhodia Reverse Book. The grid is nice sometimes and annoying other times. I wish the pages were unlined.

Here's a sweet pic with my Lamy Safari fountain pen and my custom Timbuk2 bag...
    [​IMG]

19. Stormarm

Stormarm Empty Pockets

I carry a Rite in the rain 3"x5" note pad in a cover in the RR pocket at all times.
    In the bag I have a Moleskine pocket diary and a note book that I made using one of each Ruled, Plain and Grid large cashiers Moleskines stitched together and covered in leather.

20. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

its all about the moleskines