1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Notebooks, which do you carry?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by outdoorsman1911, Sep 21, 2008.

1. outdoorsman1911

outdoorsman1911 Loaded Pockets

I was just curious s I have tried almost every type of notebook I can get my hands on, what do you guys use?

Ive tried the Moleskine and since I carry in my rear pocket, they always fall apart really fast.

However the 88 cent small composition notebooks from walmart seem to fair way better and longer.

2. HammerHead

HammerHead Loaded Pockets

I use several:

1. Hard cover square Moleskine for stargazing. It's a little easier to write in while standing.

2. Soft cover square Moleskine all day every day. I've used several rubber bands and a length of gutted 550 cord to segment it into sections for different uses. I keep day to day notes in the front half, system notes in a personal shorthand in the center, travel notes on the front side of the third quarter and beer/food notes on the back side of the fourth quarter.

3. I carry an 8 1/2" x 11" Meade two subject spiral notebook for outlining white papers or other documents. Once complete I remove them to a loose leaf binder to transcribe in a word processing application.

4. I carry a single subject Meade spiral notebook for taking down notes and tasks at work.

While I like the Moleskine notebooks for portable notes, I don't like them for lengthy writing. The spiral notebooks are far easier to set flat on a desk and write in. Similar to my personal shorthand, I use a personal system of Post-It notes and flags to keep things organized.

3. SeV_EDC

SeV_EDC Empty Pockets

I carry a small Moleskine with soft covers that I bought in a 3-pack, and keep it in one of the chest pockets on my jacket/vest. I like that it is flexible enough to bend when I move (or toss the jacket around) and there are no corners to poke me. It's small and opens flat, which I find useful for having a "working dinner" if I'm eating out alone... it's pretty casual and doesn't look "official." I keep my page with a paperclip... because, well, paperclips can be useful and how else would you carry one? ;)

4. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

I've carried a Daytimer since 1987. I tried Moleskines for a while in an attempt to simplify, but have not been successful in being "less organized". I still refer to notes from five years ago...

5. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

I carry a bifold wallet, and stick post it's on the left side. Just don't have too much to write i guess.

6. willofgod

willofgod Empty Pockets

Rhodia No11s, and 3m "sortable" postit index cards.

7. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

None.

I carry a PDA. Used to keep notes, but a PDA works better for me.

Dan

8. Rico801

Rico801 Loaded Pockets

I mainly take notes on the notepad that is built into the iPhone software, but my friend made me this little notebook when my dad passed away. I keep it close by. I use it to right down things that strike me as important lessons learned in life. Kinda like a wisdom book. I'd kind of like to learn how to make these little books. It is well made. Here are a couple of pictures. Excuse the Atwoods. I don't have a picture of it by itself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

Very nice Rick.

Renaissance Art makes similar covers for Moleskines. Very rustic looking, and they will modify one to suit (if possible).

10. Bubba

Bubba Loaded Pockets

OK "Moleskine" is a new one for me, can someone elaborate? or point me to a place that describes them/ it well?

I carry an 8.5 x 11" spiral notebook with 1/4" graph paper. I get them at the $1 stores in town for .. $1

I keep them in my laptop bag for the occasion when I need paper.. I guess I'm like some of the replies.. I don't seem to use them much, but when I was in school I used them a lot more

I like to have a pad of paper (and a sharpie) for an emergency though.. to leave a note, mark a path, first aid, etc

11. CarlJ

CarlJ Empty Pockets

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, but Rico801, I'm curious about the Atwrench on the right, I've only seen one pic with those extra grinds on the wrench end -- is that something "custom", or did Peter put a batch like that at some point? The only place I've seen that treatment before is one on a pic of Peter's keychain, and I had presumed he'd done a special one for himself.

Back on topic, Bubba, Moleskine notebooks are nice little notebooks/notepads/journals with a long history, which have become sort of an in-thing. Probably best described on the wikipedia page or the company's website.

12. turbo chicken

turbo chicken Empty Pockets

That's what i use!

13. joker354

joker354 Loaded Pockets

I used to carry Moleskines, but I hate the paper. If you're talking strictly pocket carry, I usually carry one of a few japanese notebooks that I've picked up. Still has the same durability issues as you face with the Moleskine covers, but I like the paper alot better.

The one I have in my back pocket right now is 3.5" x 5" with perforated grid ruled paper. Works good for jotting everyday notes.

As far as regular notebooks go, I have all sorts... Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Mnemosyne, Whitelines, Miquelrius, Red n Black...

Because I use alot of different types of pens, I'm always on the lookout for notebooks with good paper. I also like perforated pages for the convenience.

Eric.

14. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Same thing happened to the ones I carried, and they were too thick. So I got the Cahier Moleskine instead, and asked Renaissance Art to make a thin cover for it. Works great. There are pics somewhere around here.

15. easy76

easy76 Loaded Pockets

For work I carry one of the Mega store 88 cent jobbers. It always holds up. Cheap to replace, especially when it gets covered with gunk. I have a Moleskin ripoff journal, that I got from the mega store, that I keep in my EDC bag. I use this for wisdoms, ideas, rants, raves, etc... A lot of people around here like the mole skins.

16. Woz

Woz Empty Pockets

I carry a Crumpler notebook. Got it to my bag. It has a Crumpler nylon cover that is very durable, and allows to store loose paper or business cards there. The notebook itsself is good quality, and can be refilled.
    I like the book, it´s nice for EDC, imho.

Woz

17. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Question--Can you pick a favorite notebook?
    Just wondering.
    Thanks.

18. joker354

joker354 Loaded Pockets

Hi Jason,

That's a tough one.  I definitely haven't found what I would consider the perfect one for me.  Even stating a favorite is hard, because they all have their pros and cons.

For example, the Mnemosyne has a unique look with really tight dotted lined ruling, sectioned in thirds by fine solid lines.  Gives it a little more of a tech look to me.  I'm an Engineer, so that works well for me when taking notes at work.  It has micro-perforated sheets, which I like.  The polyprop cover is firm yet flexible, black and just says Mnemosyne in small letters in upper right corner.  The corners of the cover and pages are rounded.  Has a very clean look for a spiral notebook of it's size.  And the paper is very smooth and thick... nice.  Those are the positives for me.

What I don't like is that it has a date/Title block on the top of every page.  In my mind that is a waste of space and I just don't really like the idea.  I would rather have just one larger line on top.  As far as I can tell the whole Mnemosyne line has this.

Clairefontaine... I obviously like the paper.  Much brighter than the Mnemosyne.  The Clairefontaine paper doesn't appear to be thicker than the Mnemosyne, but it seems to hide the show through better.  Just the best paper I have used in a notebook... hands down. 

Some negatives... I haven't found one with a cover I really like.  I like clean basic looks, so the colorful ones are out for me.  The Age Bag series is subdued, but has cardboard covers.  I prefer polyprop.  If I recall corectly the line spacing was a little wider than I prefer.  I like the spacing on the Mnemosyne at about 7mm.  The 60 sheet Age Bag notebook cost more than the 80 sheet Mnemosyne of similar size.

Whitelines... cool concept.  You can copy and the lines don't show.  Paper is pretty thick, but with a different feel. It has a rougher finish. The show through is minimal and so far bleed through is little to none.

Black n' Red... Great value.  Pretty good paper and low price tag.  Also readily available everywhere I look.  However, I hate the flashy black n red theme.

Rhodia... Pretty cool formats.  The paper quality is pretty good.  Not quite as thick and smooth as my Clairefontaine and Mnemosyne.  The polyprop covered notebooks are my favorite, but not as easily attainable for me.

You see what I mean?  I'm picky and haven't found the perfect fit for me yet.  Probably the closest for me would be Mnemosyne.  Just fits my personality the best.

Good luck in your search and have fun...

Eric.

19. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

I like the Mead top-bound small spiral notebooks for my pocket. Lots of pages to write on.

But for EDC I usually use a Mead small hardcover pocket notebook that has an insert top-bound
    booklet of pages to write on. I use it primarily because it's very small and fits well in my left
    front pocket (along with my LM Micra and Pico Pen).

I have bought some Moleskines but don't carry them around.

Sometimes I just take a couple of 3x5 index cards clipped with a small binder clip.
    They are good for really small pockets because you can fold them in half and
    they fit practically anywhere.

I tend to take lots of notes, make long lists and then not do most of the
    items on the list. Bad habit. So now I am reading Dave Allen's Getting Things Done
    to try to mend my slothful ways....

:brickwall:

20. socrates

socrates Empty Pockets

For the past couple of years I've been using the Moleskine Reporter Style Pocket Notebook with Squared Pages. I don't write as much as I'd like to so some of my notebooks last quite a while before I'm able to fill them up. I guess that's one justification for using this slightly expensive notebook. ;)