1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Notebooks in the UK?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by phaserrifle, Jun 10, 2013.

1. phaserrifle

phaserrifle Loaded Pockets

Hello all,
    My old notebook (a WH smiths small reporters notebook) has finally been filled, and I'm thinking I might try something a bit different.

Basically, I'm looking for any suggestions for good quality notebooks within the UK. My only real requirement is that size wise it should be able to fit in a jeans back pocket, although it does not need to be comfortable there long term.

2. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

For A6 size I'd probably go for a standard Moleskine or Fauxskine :D

phaserrifle likes this.
  3. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

Hey phaser,

StationaryTraffic suggested the Sainsburys own notepads, quote here. Sounds good. I recently got some Silvine Executive notebooks off of amazon and the paper in them is comparable to new Moleskine paper, but they cost about 1/4 the price. I use a Moleskine A6 soft pad at work in my back pocket and it's fine so long as you're using a pencil or ballpoint pen but I wouldn't say it's worth the cost over the imitation versions.

If you want something that'll really last - and your budget covers it - look at Midori travelers notebooks specifically the passport size. It fits in jeans pockets perfectly and is pretty comfy, you can tailor the width of it by how many inserts you use, and it's really just a lovely thing to use. There are a fair few imitation versions of it on the net, and you could even make your own for about £10 if you had the inclination. If you're interested in them shoot me a PM and I'll link you a few sites that sell them to the Uk.

phaserrifle likes this.
  4. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

These aren't bad, I bought a few when they were reduced to £1 for the A6 size (usually £2) at Asda. They're not lined though.

[​IMG]

• 160 pages
    • 80 sheets
    • 80gsm
    • Creamy blank pages
    • Leatherette Wrapped Hard Cover
    • 1 heavy duty expandable Pocket on back lining
    • Ribbon Bookmark
    • Elastic Band Closure
    • Product size: 9 x 14 x 1.6 cm

MedicInTraining and phaserrifle like this.
  5. Stationery Traffic

Stationery Traffic Loaded Pockets

The Sainsbury's notebooks I use seem to be out of production - unless someone else knows better. If you can get to a Muji store their Passport notebook is 95p, comes with stiff blue or burgundy colour covers and has nice paper. I haven't tried to use one yet - and the only version I could get was plain paper.

Silvines are good for back-pocket duty if you don't mind them getting tatty quickly. Midoris are very nice - also the Monsieur range of leatherbound notebooks if you are willing to spend a bit more (I have a couple) and the Leuchtturm 1917 range (available from Cult Pens - no affiliation) has a lot of fans too.

6. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I normally go for the Moleskines - expensive, but the only books I have found so far that fit everything I want... tough enough to survive in my pocket, flexible enough not to print or become an annoyance, and ideally either credit card or ~3.5x5.5" size (front pocket/very small sized, and back pocket/larger sized)

I normally find them in bookshops or stationary places, in Aberdeen I know Waterstones and Paperchase stock them.